Deshedding tools

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently looking for a good de shedder. My cat sheds like crazy. Pet her and not only do you get a hand full of fur, but also a face full and your clothes become covered.
Well I have tried using a brush for her but she just chews away at the bristles. Anyone know of a certain brand or type that works well?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSlave101

I am currently looking for a good de shedder. My cat sheds like crazy. Pet her and not only do you get a hand full of fur, but also a face full and your clothes become covered.
Well I have tried using a brush for her but she just chews away at the bristles. Anyone know of a certain brand or type that works well?
furminator////

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the coat type. Do you just want to pull as much of the undercoat out as you can or would you prefer to actually take care of the whole coat and make it look nice?

I'm convinced that products like furminator are actually pulling out fur, not just getting what is loose. If a cat shed as much as the ads claim it removes, even in a week, a cat would have a lot of bald patches.

There are better brushes, and you can look up past threads about this, for particular coat types. A good quality food and regular grooming helps, but a cat will always shed some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really just looking for something to reduce the amount of shedding. She is a shorthair but sheds alot more than any long hair cat I have ever had

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a zoom groom and a brush every day, and OMGosh, I have to clean the zoom groom out at least twice per brushing. Upon the advice of TCS members, I splurged and ordered a furminator off amazon ($20 with shipping, yaay), that should be here soon. I'm soo excited

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the Furminator and it does get a lot of hair off/out and seems to reduce shedding but I would not recommend it for daily use as it pulls off a LOT of fur, and as strange_wings said, its probably pulling out more than just what is falling off on its own. I use mine about once every two weeks and then Zoom Groom and use a soft bristle brush every day or other day.

My cats hate brushing too, even the gentle rubbing with the Bristle Brush or Zoom Groom, they always try to bite the brushes! That is why I use two different kinds on them for daily grooming. I start with the Zoom Groom until they bite it and try to take it away then I give it to them and start with the bristle brush until they give up the Zoom Groom to go after that brush. It takes some time but it works. I also give them treats when I groom them, but I break their normal treats into 4 small pieces so they don’t get too many.

I tried to use a glove since mine like to be petted but not brushed, and just ended up with my fingers being bitten. My cats like to chase at their fur as it comes off like they think I'm stealing it or something, so they go after whatever it is that their fur is on, even if its my hand.

If you consider the Furminator I would like to put in that every cat I’ve ever touched with it HATES it! At first I thought it was just my boys because they don’t like any kind of brushing but my parents’ cats despise it as well as did a friend’s cat who normally loves to be brushed! It doesn’t seem like its hurting them, but maybe it is irritating or something.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

If you consider the Furminator I would like to put in that every cat Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve ever touched with it HATES it! At first I thought it was just my boys because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like any kind of brushing but my parentsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] cats despise it as well as did a friendâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cat who normally loves to be brushed! It doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem like its hurting them, but maybe it is irritating or something.
That's interesting. I haven't really seen many people mention this, but since I never intend to use a furminator I haven't been looking for such reviews.

I do have a Zoom Goom, which I use every couple of weeks or so. My cats love it and any sort of attention, but it will pull out Sho's coat and leave lines. I have better combs and brushes for everyday use, and that makes them soft and smooth.

So far I agree - short hairs do seem to shed more than long hairs.
If you have more than one, you may even find fur clumps on the floor from play.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would go with the Furminator. As far as claims that it pulls out more hair than would brush out otherwise, I disagree. If that was the case you would never stop brushing and end up with a bald cat. I use it on Zoe a couple times a week and each time I collect a small amount of fur. I also use it on my Golden Retriever and I do not experience excessive hair loss. Perhaps the health of the coat is at the root of the problem, not the Furminator itself.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I brush nearly every single day. Especially now that I have a DMH/DLH with a coat that's still in bad enough shape to easily mat. It's definitely not for that sort of use.

I suspect that CatSlave may have a similar problem I do with Sho's fur. A DSH with a lot of undercoat. It makes for an extremely soft thick coat... that sheds a good bit. Good coat care has helped, and yes - a good diet is needed.

How about some of the users who show cats and must keep their coats in great condition weigh in? What's better, just removing as much fur as possible or actually keeping up with the coat?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

I would go with the Furminator. As far as claims that it pulls out more hair than would brush out otherwise, I disagree. If that was the case you would never stop brushing and end up with a bald cat. I use it on Zoe a couple times a week and each time I collect a small amount of fur. I also use it on my Golden Retriever and I do not experience excessive hair loss. Perhaps the health of the coat is at the root of the problem, not the Furminator itself.
Actually some posters in the past have done exactly that - they ended up with some bald spots from over-using the Furminator so I would suggest just using common sense and not overdo it.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the Furminator and love it. Although, the first time I used it I overdid it........my poor little man was practically bald!!!
So I learned my lesson and now do it from time to time in moderation and it really helps. I think the first time I was using it I just couldnt get over how much was coming out and I just kept going and going. I use it on my dogs too and I definitely see the difference. My dogs are both shorthaired (pug and bulldog). But they shed like crazy, and it keeps their shedding down quite a bit.

And yes, I think the brush can hurt if you put too much pressure.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got my furminator in the mail yesterday and furminated the Squeakster
I did it very lightly and don't think I took out too much. I followed it up with a zoom groom and still got out a ton that way. She sat on my lap this morning and didn't get hand fulls of hair fluffing off as I pet her. Success!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Yosemite-

I must agree, nothing beats common sense!
Yes, but unfortunately we aren't all blessed with it! I'm hoping it's a learned skill so my daughter finally gets some of it.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used the furminator on my cat. I brushed him for a good hour or so and got a lot of hair off. However the next day he was back at it with shedding a bunch.

I just think some cats have more hair and lose more hair than others.