Went for a make-over: before and after

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend wanted to go and get her make-up done so I agreed to go with her since I'm not good with make-up, but want to learn how. I normally don't wear it because I don't have time to put it on before work. My mom showed me once, but it was so long, I can't remember. I have a ton of make-up but am not good with eye shadow or eye liner. If anyone can give me any tips I would be very appreciative.

Here is a before picture:

An after picture:

What do you think? I'd like to be able to wear it at times, but I need to practice on the weekends.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well not that i know anything about make-up i would say you look great!

i always thought makeup was a funny kinda thing really if you look at it in its most basic terms. its powder and goo that you put on your face to make areas differnent colours, its a funny thing when you look at it that way i find?

your very natural looking, allot of girls go mental with it and end up orange! or is that just a u.k. thing?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Do you mean foundation? That orange tint is simply from the person using the wrong color and tint for their skin tone. Unfortunately too much of it does have yellow undertones - which doesn't work so well unless you have a bit of a tan to your skin already. There are tint powders in green, lavender, and pink to help even this out a bit.

Do you know you can look up makeup tips on youtube?
The crazy stuff you can find on there.

But basically, since you have plenty of makeup to work with just practice. With eyeliner you may find that a specific brand and type works best for you.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
looks good, Sabrina!

as for make-up tips, I say for your coloring stick with brown shadows, medium shade on the lid, dark in the crease, and cream under your brow, the lighter color under your brow can really open your eyes
For eyeliner, I put a line line under my lower lashes in black and I also use black mascara, makes more of an impact than brown IMO. I nice rose color blush, applied with a large brush, not those little ones they give in you the compact, right on the apples of your cheeks and blended back up to your hairline (along your cheekbone) go very light on the blush, don't want to look like Raggedy Ann! For foundation, I use a light one that has good coverage, I love Maybelline's pure makeup for foundation. I put it on with my hands, after washing them first of course, the warmth helps it blend and please please please, if you wear foundation blend it down your neck, your makeup should not stop at your jawline
I personally do not use powder with this particular foundation, it dries to a powdery finish.

I don't wear make-up all the time, in fact I'd rather go without it
but for special occasions, makeup can make a big difference!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ Do you mean foundation? That orange tint is simply from the person using the wrong color and tint for their skin tone. Unfortunately too much of it does have yellow undertones - which doesn't work so well unless you have a bit of a tan to your skin already. There are tint powders in green, lavender, and pink to help even this out a bit.

Do you know you can look up makeup tips on youtube?
The crazy stuff you can find on there.

But basically, since you have plenty of makeup to work with just practice. With eyeliner you may find that a specific brand and type works best for you.
It is the eye shadow. I am horrible at my eyes because my eyelids are normally so hard to get them to stay open when I shut my eye.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

looks good, Sabrina!

as for make-up tips, I say for your coloring stick with brown shadows, medium shade on the lid, dark in the crease, and cream under your brow, the lighter color under your brow can really open your eyes
For eyeliner, I put a line line under my lower lashes in black and I also use black mascara, makes more of an impact than brown IMO. I nice rose color blush, applied with a large brush, not those little ones they give in you the compact, right on the apples of your cheeks and blended back up to your hairline (along your cheekbone) go very light on the blush, don't want to look like Raggedy Ann! For foundation, I use a light one that has good coverage, I love Maybelline's pure makeup for foundation. I put it on with my hands, after washing them first of course, the warmth helps it blend and please please please, if you wear foundation blend it down your neck, your makeup should not stop at your jawline
I personally do not use powder with this particular foundation, it dries to a powdery finish.

I don't wear make-up all the time, in fact I'd rather go without it
but for special occasions, makeup can make a big difference!
Thanks, Katie! Do you have any tips on how to get eye shadow on? If you read my comment above you will see why I have so many problems.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
You look very very nice. I know you said you have tonned of makeup on, but it doesn't look overdone, it looks natural.

I don't wear eyeliner very often unless i'm going somewhere special. The safest bet is hold your eye steady and make one fine sweep on the bottom lid, the top lid seems to be a little more tricky though

Eyeshadow can pretty much be however you want it to. Always remember though when you've applied it to afterwards with a cotton bud clean over any uneveness (it does wonders!). You can blend different colours (one for the lid, one for the browbone), or just one colour on the lid or all the way up under the brow bone if it is a pale colour.

SO many things you can do!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You look beautiful, Sabrina! My mom was a cosmetician when she used to work, and her best bits of advice are:
1. It's better to use less makeup as you get older -- especially eye makeup.

2. If you can possibly get enough definition with mascara alone, try to avoid eyeliner -- it often makes your eyes look small and hard.

3. Shiny eyeshadows are not flattering to older skin -- they emphasize every crease.

4. Don't scrimp on moisturizer -- even people with oily skin need it.

5. Never, never, never put on makeup without moisturizer under it.
My mom is 83, but looks 20 years younger, so I have a lot of faith in her guidance!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You look beautiful, Sabrina! My mom was a cosmetician when she used to work, and her best bits of advice are:
1. It's better to use less makeup as you get older -- especially eye makeup.

2. If you can possibly get enough definition with mascara alone, try to avoid eyeliner -- it often makes your eyes look small and hard.

3. Shiny eyeshadows are not flattering to older skin -- they emphasize every crease.

4. Don't scrimp on moisturizer -- even people with oily skin need it.

5. Never, never, never put on makeup without moisturizer under it.
My mom is 83, but looks 20 years younger, so I have a lot of faith in her guidance!
Thanks for the advice, Carol! My mom also looked 10-15 years younger than she was. I have moisturizer and some other things. I just have so much make-up to play with now that I need to start. I wish I could find a book or website that really shows how to do eyes, especially ones that are hard to keep straight and open when doing the eyelid.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, if you mean when putting eyeliner on your top lid, I almost never do that because I feel it makes your eyes look smaller, but on the bottom lid I put a line right below my lower lashes cause, to me, it's like drawing the lower edge of your eye lower if that makes sense, kinda like when they say to use lip liner outside of your natural lipline to make your lips look fuller...which, BTW, I do NOT recommend doing. It is very hard to pull off and look natural

as for applying liner to your lower lid, look up as you're applying if that helps and also another helper is to make the point pretty sharp and then blend with a Q-tip. You never want the line of eyeliner to be precise, you want it smudged, so if you start with a very thin line and then smudge it's harder to make yourself a raccoon
Oh! another thing that might help is to kinda brace your pinkie finger under your eye as you're applying (I'm trying to picture myself as I apply eyeliner
)

A quick fixer if you've made the line too wide is to dip a Q-tip (makeup must haves!) into makeup remover and run along bottom of line.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one word of advice: Mineral!!! Mineral makeup is really the way to go... goes on beautifully, it doesn't "melt" on hot and humid weather, and is very very forgiven... I work on the beauty ind. but I have never found anything better than I.D./Bare Minerals... Great stuff!
You look great on both pictures

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you look really nice!
Im not good with makeup either (youtube does have some good how to videos though!) but I almost always wear eyeliner on the bottom. I use charcoal (Covergirl) that has the liner on one end and the smudger on the other. I put it on the bottom and then smudge it into my lashes on the bottom. I think one of the biggest things is finding the right brand/makeup item that works for you, I've tried a few different eyeliners but I like the one specific kind (well I did, I think they changed it but anyhow..)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it's my upbringing, but I've never been a fan of much makeup. I like the natural look.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you look great!!
I'm impressed!

I don't really know how to wear makeup either. I rarely wear anything but powder. I just don't go anywhere that would warrant it, you know?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You look very nice
I'm an au naturel girl myself..... you kept your makeup nice and subtle... Looks good.

I have no advice whatsoever LOL as I wear makeup maybe 2-3x a year.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm guilty I wear makeup all the time...but only eye makeup I CAN"T stand lipstick.... YUCK and it gets everywhere....but I jsut heard that Chapstick is now making shimmery chapstick...so maybe that would be a nice compromise on the lipstick...

your makeup looks wonderful!

I have heard (and do) from the nice lady who does my facials and the people at MAC who taught me how to put on makeup that the best thing to remeber to do is put SUNBLOCK on your face under your foundation or powder since it helps prevent wrinkles!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

I'm guilty I wear makeup all the time...but only eye makeup I CAN"T stand lipstick.... YUCK and it gets everywhere....but I jsut heard that Chapstick is now making shimmery chapstick...so maybe that would be a nice compromise on the lipstick...

your makeup looks wonderful!

I have heard (and do) from the nice lady who does my facials and the people at MAC who taught me how to put on makeup that the best thing to remeber to do is put SUNBLOCK on your face under your foundation or powder since it helps prevent wrinkles!
I didn't know that. Thanks! I've never thought of myself as pretty so I didn't know if makeup would help or not.
I usually never wear it, but would at least like to learn how.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

allot of girls go mental with it and end up orange! or is that just a u.k. thing?
No Jez it's not!!!
I hate orange makeup, especially when it hasn't been blended in along the jawline

Sabrina i've used makeup for years, and practice makes perfect

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I didn't know that. Thanks! I've never thought of myself as pretty so I didn't know if makeup would help or not.
I usually never wear it, but would at least like to learn how.
pish...I agree with my dad who said there is no such thing as an unpretty person (at least physcially) He always told me....EVERYONE has something physically about them that makes them beautiful...and that view point has helped in my photography classes.