Mexican Jumping Beans

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Mrs. and I were talking about how we enjoy watching our cats play. Mexican Jumping Beans came up in discussion. Although we can't get them until June we're wondering if they will be safe fro our cats. I bet they would have a ball batting them around!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering that it's just a little larvae in a bean, I can't see how it would harm a cat... though cats may try to eat the beans.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man, I can't remember the last time I saw any of those!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I'm not sure if they would work well. Usually they only really jump if they are kept warm in your hands - can't really see them "jumping" on the floor unless you warm them up and then put them down in front of the cat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't honestly thing I've ever seen one. I know Mooch and Noodles would try to eat it.

This thread made me think of my RB girl Glory
. Her nickname was Beans because when she was a kitten the littlest things would startle her and she'd jump straight up in the air. Like a Jumping Bean Mom always said.
I miss her.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Man, I can't remember the last time I saw any of those!

The last time I saw them was when I was still a kid, and we took a trip to Baja California. That was almost 40 years ago!

I'll bet it would be a real hoot to watch the cats playing with those things!

I wonder if they can be ordered online?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be afraid a kitty might choke on a bean, or that swallowing one might allow the worms to infest the kitty's innards! Blecch!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'd be afraid a kitty might choke on a bean, or that swallowing one might allow the worms to infest the kitty's innards! Blecch!
I'm quite sure that a cat can't get moths.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I thought about that too, but if I did get any, I would just supervise the cats, and take the beans away from them while not in use.

Originally Posted by CoolCat

...I don´t think exist yet!
Hey Rigel! You live in Mexico: you wanna send me some?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

so should I to research about it!...
Nah - you don't have to go to that trouble.
I can probably find them online somewhere.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Seriously, at least here in Yucatan never seen before!...
that would be a insteresting fact about it my friend!...
Rigel, I had Mexican jumping beans to play with when I was little. I can't believe you have never heard of them!

Originally Posted by KittKatt

Found some!

http://www.mypetbeans.com/
After reading about them, I don't know if I would give them to a cat. The site said that the beans are not safe for children under 4.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you can find some at either a toy store or novelity shop. When I managed a toy store, we did sell them but that was years ago.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Rigel, I had Mexican jumping beans to play with when I was little. I can't believe you have never heard of them!

After reading about them, I don't know if I would give them to a cat. The site said that the beans are not safe for children under 4.
Well, as I mentioned previously, if I do decide to get some, the cats would be supervised while playing with them.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Well, as I mentioned previously, if I do decide to get some, the cats would be supervised while playing with them.
It would be interesting this research....I mean to document by a Video...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It would be interesting this research....I mean to document by a Video...
First you have to buy the jumping beans, Rigel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember they would just kind of "snap" and the seed would rock a bit. The snap was audible. I imagine the cats sprawled out on a hot summers day, You put the seeds down, first the ears go to work then of coarse they'd be slapping them around. I bet they would work good under a blanket on the floor where the cat has to listen and figure out where the bean is. The cat would pounce and retry as it hears other beans. I bet it would be a hoot. Then back in the refrigerator. The beans of coarse... I have opened the refrigerator and found a cat before. Finally after a few years Beau stopped trying to sneak into the fridge.