For GemLady/Gem Lovers....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out this gorgeous stone!

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/ind...zirconia&N=50+

I usually switch the channel to JTV whenever I'm watching TV and a commercial comes on, b/c I don't like commercials.
This beauty of a gem happened to be in the process of being displayed at one point today. I've never seen anything like it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite color is pink too, or a variation of it. But I also love multi-colored gemstones - like the one shown, or mystic topazes & opals. I also absolutely love the sparkle of diamonds, and the brilliant fire that a good one will shoot off in the proper lighting!

Who am I kidding? I love them all!
Except for peridot..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Except for peridot..
i think this peridot is pretty:
peridot
but it doesn't compare to these:
opal 1
opal 2
i really like the darker opals... someday i'm planning to have the small white one i have replaced w/a darker stone.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But I also love multi-colored gemstones - like the one shown, or mystic topazes & opals.
The multi color effect that you see in the Mystic gems is nothing more than a sprayed on coating. It comes in different types done by companies like this one http://azotic.us/

Some of those colors, like the blue and red combinations, are rather striking.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are coming up with some interesting and colorful man-made gems, aren't they.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't read some parts of that site before, apparently they can coat just about anything. Even insects!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think this peridot is pretty:
peridot
but it doesn't compare to these:
opal 1
opal 2
i really like the darker opals... someday i'm planning to have the small white one i have replaced w/a darker stone.
Okay, I have to agree. That peridot is pretty.

I really like those darker opals, too. I also really like the mosaic opals. I got a really pretty pair of opal earrings for Christmas from my s/o.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, just checked out some other gems and discovered my rutilated quartz cat's eye cabochon is worth more than I thought.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I have a mystic topaz like this one

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...62|59113|59119
Oooooo! Pretty!
I had a mystic topaz ring once, but had to sell it when one of the kitties got sick, and I needed the money to take him to the vet.

Check out these mystic cosmic topazes!

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/ind...%20topaz&N=50+

I have the 2ctw round one. I tried to take a pic of it, but it's not showing up well.

I didn't realize it was a sprayed on coating though. It is still very pretty IMO
I know that a lot of stones are treated, but they're still very pretty!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

They are coming up with some interesting and colorful man-made gems, aren't they.
Yep - they sure are! I gotta quit watching JTV! I get too tempted!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My favorite color is pink too, or a variation of it. But I also love multi-colored gemstones - like the one shown, or mystic topazes & opals. I also absolutely love the sparkle of diamonds, and the brilliant fire that a good one will shoot off in the proper lighting!

Except for peridot..
Really? If you get a AAA grade peridot with top color saturation (a deep grass green), it is stunning and seems to glow from inside. I'm rather fond of them!

Frankly, I have never met a gemstone I didn't like!

Ooooh, just checked out some other gems and discovered my rutilated quartz cat's eye cabochon is worth more than I thought.
Oooooo! rutilated quartz!!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Really? If you get a AAA grade peridot with top color saturation (a deep grass green), it is stunning and seems to glow from inside. I'm rather fond of them!
I'm just not a big fan of the color green - especially that green/yellow color. But I do love emerald green, and the green color of this chrome diopside:

It's not a very good pic b/c it's a printed & scanned one, but you can get an idea.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oooooo! rutilated quartz!!!
My mom just loves rutilated quartz. I saw something similar that had those "lines" running through it once on JTV, but I don't recall the name of it.
But it was really cool!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mom just loves rutilated quartz. I saw something similar that had those "lines" running through it once on JTV, but I don't recall the name of it.
But it was really cool!
There is also tourmalinated quartz. Quartz with black tourmaline crystal inclusions.

My Dad once spent a lot of time at a touristy shop picking out tumbled rutilated quartz pieces. The staff was befuddled. Apparently they didn't get many serious rockhounds.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is also tourmalinated quartz. Quartz with black tourmaline crystal inclusions.
I think that may have been what they were.

There was something else at one time too that they were showing that was along the same line, but for the life of me I don't recall what they were..

Originally Posted by CoolCat

lovely Stones!..
They sure are!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Dad once spent a lot of time at a touristy shop picking out tumbled rutilated quartz pieces. The staff was befuddled. Apparently they didn't get many serious rockhounds.
I used to do that as a kid, then a lot of the shops stopped getting the nicer stone mixes. It seems all they have now are a lot of dyed stones. I don't like fake electric blue and neon pink...

I'm hoping that my dad and his wife still have my collection somewhere. When I was in the process of moving out they thought they'd "help" and went through all my stuff. A lot turned up missing.
I miss my stone collection the most, though.