litter recommendation

shw104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are currently using the World's Best Cat litter. We have two, indoor, female cats.

Can anyone recommend another cat litter that has worked well for them. I'm not completely happy with the odor control provided by our current litter.

Thank you!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I like Arm & Hammer or TidyCats Immediate Odor Control formula for odor control. I usually end up with TidyCats, partly because it clumps harder and partly because so few stores carry the Arm & Hammer unscented litter.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cat's Breeze, which is inert pellets on top of grid and a urine-catching pad below. There's a long thread on it here.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the WBCL for the clumping and less dust(or at least more natural dust lol) but I agree about the odor control....so I have been mixing a little Fresh Step with it and that really helps on the odor control alot.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
swheet scoop mixed with arm and hammer essentials

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the PetCo brand - refillable, so it's cheaper, and like it very much... It controls the odor very well, and it clumps hard - you don't need to replace it often at all... actually I find myself just replacing some littler from time to time, just to maintain the proper level.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used World's Best (both regular and extra strength), Swheat Scoop, and Feline Pine (clumping variety). I found that all of them lack a bit in the odor control department. I've found that scooping immediately after Zoe makes a trip to the litter box works the best at controlling odor. If I'm out of the house I check as soon as I get back. Nature's Miracle makes a litter I am anxious to try.

mtcart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading these posts and others, I decided to try Fresh Step. I had seen it at our local Sam's Club but when I tried to get some today, they had replaced it with a product called "Litter Clean". Meanwhile I went to WalMart and bought Fresh Step. When I got home, I called the 877 number from the litter at Sam's Club and talked to one of their salesmen. "Litter Clean" is actually the name used exclusively for Sam's Club. I asked the salesman for their website and found that they list products called "Simplicity Life Stages." I called the salesman back and he said it is the Adult MultiCat Formula for High Traffic Litter Boxes with Triple Protection Odour Control for Multiple Cat Households-whew! long name. There are no chemicals or perfume in the product, 100% natural formula that offers maximum clumping action and long lasting odour control.

Has anyone tried this brand? The price was good, $14.38 for 40# in a plastic tub container vs. $12+ for 28# of Fresh Step.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried it probably 8 yrs ago now. So I bet it's changed since then.
I don't have a Sam's membership anymore.

I've been pretty happy with Special Kitty Scoop with crystals (it's in a brown bag), 28# for about $7. We also buy Special Kitty Scoop in the green box, that's about $5-$6 for 28#. Our most recent purchase of Tidy Cats will not be repeated...They changed the perfume (very floral and lots more of it) and so dusty we can hardly stand it.
I knew they had changed the labels, but I had hoped the formula stayed the same. I store the wal-mart litter in an empty tidy cats tub.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used Petco's refill-it-yourself 30# scoopable litter plus baking soda for yonks, with great results. It's low-dust, good at odor control, economical, and ecologically fairly friendly as you keep the container and refill it yourself at your local Petco. I know some will say the litter itself is not ecologically as responsible as some others, but this one works best for us.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat scoopable for multiple cats. I pay $10 for 40lbs. I have been happy with it.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've used tons of different litters and my favorite by far is Fresh Step.

First off-

Crystal litter - Best for only one cat. When your cat goes for a poop it'll stink up the room for a bit. Not the best odor control honestly.

Scoopaway - Tracks quite a bit. Gets odiferous after a while, the perfume is just weird smelling.

Clay Chips Litter - Tracks the least. Odor control isn't amazing.

Arm & Hammer Multiple Cat - YUCK! This stuff smells horrible! It doesn't clump well... like it takes all the moisture and makes one big gigantic clump. Mind you I clean my box 1-2 times a day, this stuff does not last long. It sucks for picking stuff out of it.

World's Best - Horrible odor control. Just as dusty as any other clay clumping cat litter.

Fresh Step - My favorite. Clumps hard, easy to pick out. I would say tracks a lot, but it has amazing odor control and lasts the longest. I have a two cat household and I keep coming back to it.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scoop away unscented has been the best one I've used! And believe me I've tried a bunch. Well the pine on is also good, but my cats reject it so Scoop away it is for me.

It scoops out perfectly and in a closed cat litter will work wonders. I have a closed cat litter in my room for my 4 cats and it never ever smells!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat scoopable for multiple cats. I pay $10 for 40lbs. I have been happy with it.
wow - I thought it cost way more than that! Where do you buy it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

wow - I thought it cost way more than that! Where do you buy it?
Petsmart has it

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually use Tidy Cats Scoop for mutiple cats. The last time i went shopping for the cats stuff (food & litter) I got Tidy Cats Scoop for multiple cats Instant Action (instant odor control). It costs the same as the regular Tidy Cats, and i really like the odor control. Clumps tight, and doesnt smell as much. I scoop everyday, but both cats insist on using the SAME box, so it can get kinda stinky in there even when i scoop daily, even 2x daily.

I have tried other litters, like Fresh Step(not bad at all), Scoop away(not my favorite), Arm & Hammer (good odor control but not my favorite). I LOVE Tidy Cats, thats what i aim to buy, and only get different kinds when they dont have any Tidy Cats, which happens sometimes.

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this thread, I think I may try Fresh Step. I forget what I currently use but it seemed to be cheapest at the time. It is quite dusty and not the best for odor control. Should I try mixing the two for a while before switching over?