problem with wilbur

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought he had gottenover this but I guess not.

A few days ago wilbur started throwing up a little. I didn't think much of it, cats do that from time to time. But a couple days ago he threw up like 4 times in one night. and he dind't feel good I could tell. I had put that lamisil on his ear and the whole ear turned beet red and I could tell it was really irritated. So i figured some how they were related. I stopped the lamisil then.

Last night he started throwing up again. he feels good after he does it a few times and starts being playful again. but it's scaring me. each time the 'product' was progressively more pink, then slightly red which tells me it's blood.

I don't know what to do for him. Please don't say take him to the vet, I literally don't have the money. it's not like I can pay the vet and skip a bill or two, i don't have the money to begin with. So i need some sort of advice on what I should do for him.

Any thoughts?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, no one here is medically experienced to hand out advice. Is there no low cost surgeries near you, because it really does sound like he needs to see an expert

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I know of. but I'm not 100% sure. I know he needs to see someone thats' why i feel so awful. ANY other time I'd take him right to the vet. but it's physically not possible.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you rang most places in the yellow pages, because your in a different area now so there may be somewhere that can help. I would be starting from the A's and working my way through the directory if it was me.

The thing is, you don't know if Wilbur is in pain right now either, but obviously something's not right?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether you want to hear it or not Wilbur needs to see a vet. Cats hide pain and if hes vomiting "pink", something serious is going on, he will not show you because he will hide it.
I know money is an issue, but at this point Wilbur needs to come above your financial issue and get him at any cost into see a vet.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't understand Pami. it's like I explained. I don't have the money. i'm not saving to pay other bills. I do not have the money in my account and the vet won't even talk to me without being able to pay up front. I already asked. THAT is my dilema.

Unless the vet will see wilbur on a payment of about 8 dollars I literally don't have the money to go.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fastnoc, I know you dont have any money, but the outcome is just to leave Wilbur there to suffer. If he is showing any signs if anything "off" for a cat thats a big thing.
He needs to see a vet. If that means asking your Mom for money. Going into a an E vet and then dealing with the cost afterwards. Not telling them you dont have the money. Asking a rescue group to help you, but something needs to be done to get him in to see a vet.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about those credit companies I see people talking about on here. I think Credit Care, even if its for a few hundred dollars.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
first off there is NO vet office in hot springs even open today. There is no e-vet here. My mother is on a fixed income and can barely pay her bills to begin with, and doesn't even get all of her medication because she can't afford it.

I came here because i had to. the little bit of money i get from unemployment would be enough to pay for my food, take care of the cats and any other tiny incedentals. 3 weeks ago my unemployment was put on hold because I could not be in phoenix to go to the orientation at job service. it takes 3 to 5 weeks to go in front of the board and have them make a determination on whether I can get it or not. Which to be honest I don't think i'm going to get because part of the stipulation of getting unemployment is begin available to accept work. How can I do that 1400 miles away? I am crossing my fingers hoping they say yes.

I'm calling the rescue group again tomorrow but don't you think I already asked them that?

And I don't know any credit agency that will loan money to someone that just had a car repossesed, sued TWICE by his landlord leaving open judgements on my credit and being submitted to collections becaus I couldn't pay my credit cards. NOBODY is going to give me credit right now.

I'm probably going to take him to a vet tomorrow and face to face see if I can talk them into it. But I must say, having someone recommend committing a crime is a pretty poor way to approach something like this. It is a CRIME to go to a vet knowing you do not have the money to pay, getting the service and telling them later you can't pay. it's called theft of services.

I appreciate your concern but you clearly have no grasp on my situation and money doesn't magically appear when a pet gets sick. I've been eating frickin corn dogs once a day and drinking water for 2 weeks because I'm so broke.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

But have you rang around every practice in the yellow pages, because you said earlier you weren't 100% sure?.
there's only 3 vets i can find here. none answer the phone today and according to the hours in the ads aren't open sundays. there is no e-vet here.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im not going to go head to head with you because all I am trying to do is offer you a solution to help Wilbur.

But if you think going to a vet seeking help for him, not having the money is worse than leaving him there to suffer and do nothing. I guess you just have to choose your crime.

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Wilbur.

Here's lots of vibes for you and Wilbur. I'm sorry I don't have any advice. But I will be thinking of you and Wilbur and hoping for the best.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is probably not what you want to hear but this worked for me. I found myself in a similar situation but with kids to feed as well. I surrendered my fur babies to a local rescue. It killed me but I had to do right by them. They let me visit and when I got back on my feet I adopted them back, for full adoption price. I actually got the better end of the bargain. My cats got the care they needed and my kids got to eat. It took a couple of months (like 4) and it was really hard but I did get back on track. Good luck and I hope that Wilbur starts feeling better.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

So where do people go that need emergency treatment??
I have no idea. probably either wait until Monday or drive the 4 hours to dallas where there's probably lots of them. I don't have much choice.

I went back to the rescue group after taking the kittens to them this morning but they werent answering the door (they aren't open to the public sunday). I left a mesage on the phone but that's all I could do.

You have to remember, this is a small town. the luxuries of things like e-vets don't exist here. So i'm pretty limited in what I can do.

I guess the only thing I can do is give wilbur away to the rescue group if I can't get him helped tomorrow. they have a vet that will take care of him. but other than that i don't have any options.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I guess the only thing I can do is give wilbur away to the rescue group if I can't get him helped tomorrow. they have a vet that will take care of him. but other than that i don't have any options.
Unfortunately it sounds like it's for the best because this way he can get the care he needs, and Wilburs health is priority.

You can do a search in the health forum for symptoms similar to Wilburs, but as i've said no one here is experienced in vet skills, and to cover TCS i'll have to post rule 1 of the forum rules

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did manage to get ahold of an on call vet but it's pointless. she talked to me and said what's very probable is that he's eaten something that's hurting his stomach like a staple. and he's trying to throw it up but can't.

she then said I could bring him in but it would be 175 for the emergency visit plus x-rays and it has to be paid upfront which is what I knew she'd say.

i can't believe after all i've been through and all that I've tried to do i have to give him away but i don't think i have a choice.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

i did manage to get ahold of an on call vet but it's pointless. she talked to me and said what's very probable is that he's eaten something that's hurting his stomach like a staple. and he's trying to throw it up but can't.
This is getting worse
If it is a staple that he's swallowed, it's probably tearing him inside when he's vomiting which is causing the bleeding.

Did you not ask her if there was anyone else who would take him and pay in stages?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes and she said there is nobody that will take him today without payment up front.