Urgent trapping tips!

annac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there are lots of trapping threads already, but wondered if I could get some advice from the top. We rent our house out a lot, and returned after a 3month rental to find we had inherited a stray cat and her 3 kittens. We are currently caring for them as we have not sucessfully found new homes (being in Brazil where there are far more stray cats than cat lovers) and they are now all vaccinated and the mother neutered.

But...we are about to rent our house again to people with severe cat allergies. We have a holiday home lined up for them all, but we have been unable to catch the mother to take her there. She comes within about a foot of me, but that's as close as I can get. I have managed to entice her into a cage, but can't get the lid closed before she jumps out. She is very quick!! Unfortunately, we only have 2 days left to gain enough trust to get her safely housed. She was taken to the vets for neutering by our previous tenants, so it must be possible, but don't know how they managed it!!

Tips and advice really appreciated.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only way I was able to catch my ferals was a humane trap that I borrowed from shelter, than I just ordered on online. Maybe someone will have more suggestions for you. Good luck.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can't buy/borrow/rent a humane trap, get a large-ish carrier or crate and feed her in it. If she allows you to stand near her, she may allow you to stand near the doorway - and you cab shut her in the minute she's clear of the door. It's not playing fair but it sure works. Cover the carrier/crate as soon as she's safely tucked inside to help calm her down.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

If you can't buy/borrow/rent a humane trap, get a large-ish carrier or crate and feed her in it. If she allows you to stand near her, she may allow you to stand near the doorway - and you cab shut her in the minute she's clear of the door. It's not playing fair but it sure works. Cover the carrier/crate as soon as she's safely tucked inside to help calm her down.
You can also perhaps use her kittens as bait?

Edit: Using kittens as bait often do works well: sometimes it is not even necessary to catch the mom, she follows the kittens into the house... The question is if they were still together, if they are still protected by mom. Or if they already began to separate....

Either inside that cage, if it is big, or behind that cage if it is small.

If behind, you must prepare everything so mom sees and hears and smells them through the opening and the cage you want to capture her in.
Ie lay some blankets over kitten-cage/carrier, with only the front visible...

Good work! Tx for your helping these small fellows!