all of a sudden

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are sneezing/coughing...
What can I do? It is the weekend and the vet is not open. Lucky seems to be the worst. She keeps sounding like she is trying to get something up...I honestly can't tell if its a hairball or not.

I really am starting to worry.....will the vet put them on anything? Or will it just run its course??

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

I really am starting to worry.....will the vet put them on anything? Or will it just run its course??
Since no one here is a vet, that's a bit hard for us to answer.

I would call your vet first thing in the morning, but if their condition seems to worsen it would be best to call an emergency vet.

If you are concerned about Lucky in particular, it may not hurt to make that call now. Good Luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Since no one here is a vet, that's a bit hard for us to answer.

I would call your vet first thing in the morning, but if their condition seems to worsen it would be best to call an emergency vet.

If you are concerned about Lucky in particular, it may not hurt to make that call now. Good Luck.
Yes I plan to call first thing in morning. I was just reading on line that cats get colds like humans and generally they run its course(7-10 days)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A URI is like a cold, caused by a virus, and the virus is fairly ubiquitous. Once the cat has had one particular mutation, it can't get that one again, but the virus, just like the human cold and flu, mutates rapidly and if the cat is exposed to a new mutation, it can get it again.

A cat in normal health, just like a human in normal health, can usually withstand the disease and recover. However, just as the flu or a cold kills a lot of people every year (more than die in traffic accidents!), just so a cat can get in serious trouble.

The vet can't treat the virus, but he CAN treat any secondary infections.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The coughing is when a cold is really bad. Keep an eye on Lucky and if his condition worsens, then take him (or both) to the emergency vet. I always get scared when my Hannah starts coughing.

Make sure to keep the air in your home moist (humid), run a vaporizer and/or take them into the bathroom with you while you're showering, close the door and let them enjoy a kitty sauna. Make sure they're eating. If they're congested, you especially need to steam them or run the vaporizer.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read your other post.
Meeko had a almost 105 fever last Jan.
She ended up making Coco sick.
What meds are they giving your cat?
My Cleo is sick with a fever now also.
I hope your cat feels better.