Our Doberman Puppy!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been looking for a Doberman puppy for the last two years and we finally came up with the money (a gift) and found a breeder that I liked. We looked at rescue groups, but I didn't feel comfortable adopting an adult Doberman. We picked her up on Thursday, and drove 12 hours there and back to get her!!!! We've been waiting for her litter to be born and ready to go since September!!!!

Her dad's father is a European Triple Crown Champion, but her parents weren't ever shown. My hopes is to get involved in some showing with her and see how she does. We had pick of the litter and we got a female because male dobermans are dog aggressive, especially male dog aggressive. She's eight weeks old and is a ball of uncontrollable energy!

Yes she is cropped and docked, that's how I wanted my Doberman to look. It's one of the reasons we bought her from this breeder, she was cropped, docked, and had her due claws removed by a vet that the breeder really likes. She is AKC registered and has an open registration. Any tips on showing would be awesome. I've decided that if she doesn't do well in the show ring I will probably get involved with agility once she's 2 years old.

Here she is!!! Athena:

I gave her that cat toy when she walked in the house and ever since then it's been her's and she carries it around

Look at that mouth!!

Don't worry, rope bones are only allowed under strict supervision!

I can't believe all the muscles she has already!

Her mommy

Her daddy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous!!

What's with her joint especially on the one leg in the 2nd pic? Last time I saw a leg joint like that was in a Dane pup that was not in good shape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

She's precious
Her parents are gorgeous
She melts my heart every time she looks up at me

Originally Posted by Darling Poodles

She is beautiful!!! I use to have a red/rust male. They are awesome!!
Did you?! I'm so excited to have a Dobe! We had two when I was very young, but they were farm dogs, outside only. I'm so excited to experience them as a true pet

Originally Posted by white cat lover

She's gorgeous!!

What's with her joint especially on the one leg in the 2nd pic? Last time I saw a leg joint like that was in a Dane pup that was not in good shape.
We haven't noticed anything funny about them. Maybe it's the due claw area your seeing
If you look on the mom they have a HUGE toe thingy where the due claw is supposed to be. Plus she looks rather awkward right now, we call her Popeye because her "forearms" are massive compared to her upper legs

If all else fails she has a 2 year health guarantee against any genetic or conformative (??? think that's the word) diseases. The breeder has had several litters and so far no problems.

Here's a picture she doesn't have that paw lifted up in

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look so bad in that pic, but watch her as she grows. I don't *think* it's the dew claw - what I'm seeing looks like it is the actual joint that is swollen - but it didn't look as bad in the other pics.
It's like knobby knees.

I'm just finicky after looking over the shelter dogs for issues today.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Wow, she is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations!
Thanks
I'm biased, but I think she is one of the most gorgeous dogs on the planet

I forgot to mention the cats......they are NOT impressed. They don't mind her as long as she's asleep, otherwise they are running from her! She just LOVES the cats and wants to kiss and kiss and kiss them! Leya doesn't mind it, but Athena will kiss Leya on the face and when Leya doesn't hit her for it she gets all excited and starts bouncing everywhere
She's a bouncer!!! BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE all through the living room. She's a funny little thing. She even lets Thor boss her around and she's already two pounds heavier than him! Thor growled at her for being too rough with him and she fell to the floor immediately with her belly up whimpering up at him
Thank god she's not a fighter!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It doesn't look so bad in that pic, but watch her as she grows. I don't *think* it's the dew claw - what I'm seeing looks like it is the actual joint that is swollen - but it didn't look as bad in the other pics.
It's like knobby knees.

I'm just finicky after looking over the shelter dogs for issues today.
I'll keep an eye on it! I understand where you're coming from though. I think the breed has a lower risk for joint/hip problems, but they have REALLY bad genetic problems. Luckily the mom and pop were both tested for them and were negative. Dobermans have genetic thyroid problems, and a genetic blood clotting problem. I can't remember what's it's called, something like.... WVD or VWD something or other.

I'd have to look it up, but I'm at work and I'm getting ready to sleep....don't tell anyone!
But the weather is bad and I'm stuck here for 24 hours till the next shift MAYBE comes in.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Join your local obedience club, not petsmart, but an actual AKC training club. Your puppy will benefit from obedience classes, like puppy kindergarten for socialization and bonding and learning manners. Many of these places also have handling classes, where you learn the basics to show and handle your dog. http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/training_clubs/
Use the site above to find one.
You will enjoy these sites
http://www.dpca.org/PublicEd/PEC/
this one has many tips on showing
http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/article_menu.htm
http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/QAArchives.htm
and this is like the cat site
www.dobermantalk.com

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I'll keep an eye on it! I understand where you're coming from though. I think the breed has a lower risk for joint/hip problems, but they have REALLY bad genetic problems. Luckily the mom and pop were both tested for them and were negative. Dobermans have genetic thyroid problems, and a genetic blood clotting problem. I can't remember what's it's called, something like.... WVD or VWD something or other.
Hips aren't negative. Maybe you are thinking of fair, good, or excellent? What was the rating of each dog? You can look up the sire and dam in the OFA database, if they tested their hips. vWD isn't negative either. You have affected, carrier, or clear.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Hips aren't negative. Maybe you are thinking of fair, good, or excellent? What was the rating of each dog? You can look up the sire and dam in the OFA database, if they tested their hips. vWD isn't negative either. You have affected, carrier, or clear.
Oh I didn't mean the hips, that was confusing. I just meant they didn't have thyroid or the VWD. I forgot all the technical terms. I did see the noterized (sp?) letter from the vet on the VWD and thyroid. They were "clear"

I *think* that I read hip and joint problems were less likely in Dobermans than in other dogs their size or bigger.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Join your local obedience club, not petsmart, but an actual AKC training club. Your puppy will benefit from obedience classes, like puppy kindergarten for socialization and bonding and learning manners. Many of these places also have handling classes, where you learn the basics to show and handle your dog. http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/training_clubs/
Use the site above to find one.
You will enjoy these sites
http://www.dpca.org/PublicEd/PEC/
this one has many tips on showing
http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/article_menu.htm
http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/QAArchives.htm
and this is like the cat site
www.dobermantalk.com
Thanks for all that!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh I didn't mean the hips, that was confusing. I just meant they didn't have thyroid or the VWD. I forgot all the technical terms. I did see the noterized (sp?) letter from the vet on the VWD and thyroid. They were "clear"

I *think* that I read hip and joint problems were less likely in Dobermans than in other dogs their size or bigger.
If you read that the author was sadly mistaken .. it is one of the Main issues in Dobies ... hip tests also require the dogs to be at or about 2 yrs before they are truly accurate

Puppy is a cutie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If you read that the author was sadly mistaken .. it is one of the Main issues in Dobies ... hip tests also require the dogs to be at or about 2 yrs before they are truly accurate
Opa! That's good news! You are not going to need to worry for 2 years until she is ready to test.... by then you are going to be completely in love with her regardless of a crooked joint here and there

Enjoy your puppy - she is really really cute! I hope the cats get to love her soon too!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Opa! That's good news! You are not going to need to worry for 2 years until she is ready to test.... by then you are going to be completely in love with her regardless of a crooked joint here and there

Enjoy your puppy - she is really really cute! I hope the cats get to love her soon too!
the parents also should be tested and for a "good breeder" they wait till at least the female is 2 and tested before breeding ...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the parents also should be tested and for a "good breeder" they wait till at least the female is 2 and tested before breeding ...
This is true. Hips can't be tested until 2 to give you the gradings needed, and other tests like cardio and thyroid and CERF and more should be done more than just once, yearly gets more accurate data. Prelims can be done on hips, but not the actual until at the very least 2 years of age. The vWD test only needs to be done once, hips and elbows just need be done once too when they are of age. This is very important, since the Doberman is a working breed and they need to be physically sound of body.
Personally, I like to see them older than 2 before being considered to breed, gives time for full health testing and to see the longevity on their parents and health issues with other generations in their pedigree. What is the rush??
It is good to be actively showing and/or working the dogs, and that takes time too. But should always be done before breeding so the information is there to improve the breeding with each generation, so they are also sound of body and of mind, temperamentally and physically, this is very important in a working breed such as a Doberman.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for all that!!!
Your welcome! She is very cute and you are going to have so much fun with her.
you might find a lot of your showing questions answered on the links. You want to start young teaching her the basics, but keep it very short so it is fun