Wi-Fi frustrations

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother came here early last month and installed wi-fi in my mom's house. It's been great.. .but now all of a sudden... it's not working. We have three PCs here - my laptop and desktop... and a laptop he brought for mom.. .which I told him she will NEVER use!

Well that 3rd machine is the only one connecting to the internet now... and I am using it to talk to you all. I emailed my bro and asked him what should i do.. what did he think the problem was... but I will ask you well-versed people what YOU think...

It seems to me that if I am using wifi on this computer... that the router etc, MUST be functioning ok... but why die on the other two?

Now, my sister and niece were here today and connected through the router on their Mac books... .could that have done something?

I am sooooo attached to my PC/internet that I would be having serious withdrawal if I can't use it. And there were some files on my hard drive/desktop that I wanted to send to my bro. I don't really want to play the flash drive transfer game if I don't have to...

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to look for first is that on most laptops, there is actually a manual switch or button somewhere on the exterior of the machine that turns the wireless function on and off. On both of mine, they are little slide switches that I'll sometimes bump into the wrong position. Another is, when he put the network in, did he use some form of security. If so, passwords may not be stored or expired. Also, do the individual computers have manual settings somewhere in the system tray to select the type of internet connection you are using at any given time, such as selecting between wireless and modem?

If you are using Windows machines, you might try right clicking on the connection icons in the system tray (lower right) and having it re-scan for wireless networks. If they lost connection for a reason other than being shut down, sometimes they will simple sit idle until connected manually again.

All sorts of maybe's.
It's unlikely that it's the wireless router though, as 1 computer still connects. But, it's possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

One thing to look for first is that on most laptops, there is actually a manual switch or button somewhere on the exterior of the machine that turns the wireless function on and off. On both of mine, they are little slide switches that I'll sometimes bump into the wrong position. Another is, when he put the network in, did he use some form of security. If so, passwords may not be stored or expired. Also, do the individual computers have manual settings somewhere in the system tray to select the type of internet connection you are using at any given time, such as selecting between wireless and modem?

If you are using Windows machines, you might try right clicking on the connection icons in the system tray (lower right) and having it re-scan for wireless networks. If they lost connection for a reason other than being shut down, sometimes they will simple sit idle until connected manually again.

All sorts of maybe's.
It's unlikely that it's the wireless router though, as 1 computer still connects. But, it's possible.
Thanks, Mike. Something got "kicked lose" electronically and a connection had to be restored/repaired. That took care of it for both computers that were not connecting to the router. Dunno what happened. Had to go into My network places ... and click a few things with my brother directing me... and voila... back in business!! Whew!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using a wifi laptop right now. In the upper right corner of this machine is a symbol showing what appears to be an antenna transmitting. The light is on. It is very easy to accidently hit this button and turn the computer's wifi ability off. I can also send this message to another floor in this house and print it. But only if that same button showing a transmitter beaming a signal is turned on at the printer. These buttons are easily turned off by mistake and I would say most people do not even know about these buttons. After reading your facts, I would check this first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I am using a wifi laptop right now. In the upper right corner of this machine is a symbol showing what appears to be an antenna transmitting. The light is on. It is very easy to accidently hit this button and turn the computer's wifi ability off. I can also send this message to another floor in this house and print it. But only if that same button showing a transmitter beaming a signal is turned on at the printer. These buttons are easily turned off by mistake and I would say most people do not even know about these buttons. After reading your facts, I would check this first.
I'm ok - it was actually an electronic signal(connection) that had stopped working.. I had to go into my computers/my network places to fix it.