Just Adopted

svtfocus123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello forum, i just adopted a 6 week old kitten, and i was wondering if i could get some tips and stuff about raising it and getting it used to me and my house, or any advise that i could use from others that have been there done that. thank you

Brett

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i adopted both mine at 6weeks old best thing i can recommend is lots of love and attention, and expect some nipping as it is so young still

good luck and have lots of fun

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco was 6 weeks also and now she is 16.10 years old.
They really should be at least 12 weeks when they are adopted though.
I even got one at 4 weeks.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
congrats! i had my cat at fully grown so i cant advise on raising a young one, but as for getting them used to you and your house i just left her to it.

the first night a had her she looked around the whole house first, as its quite big i followed her around a bit, then we both got on the sofa and all seemed ok, so i nipped to the shops for a stock up of food etc, when i got back there was no trace of her!

i called my brother over who only lived next door at the time (weird i know) and we turned the house upside down! no cat! i convinced myself she must have got out the door when i left to go shopping, and eventually went to bed. after laying awake for ages i dropped off only to be woken by somthing walking about on my bed? but i dropped off again.

next morning, no sign of a cat and i wondered if i dreamt it? that night same thing again. but after a week she was just like part of the furniture.

so my advice is, just give them time, everyone i know says they hide at first, but they will soon come round to love you im sure!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your newest addition! I'm a book person myself, so of course, I went out and bought books when I adopted. One of my favorites is Think Like a Cat. It has a section on kitten care, as well as other more general cat related advice on litter boxes, grooming, food, the works.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Congratulations on adopting a furrever fur baby!

My most important advice is to have your kittens vaccinated at the intervals determined by your vet (if you don't already have one, look for a good one).

Secondly stick around
There are plenty of people happy to give advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

svtfocus123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone, such nice people on this forum.
the cat pooped under my bed.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitties litter tray in your room? 6 weeks is still really early and most kittens would still be with their Mum. Make sure you keep the kitten in a confined space for a while, such as a bedroom - just while he learns to use the toilet tray and gets comfortable etc

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Is the kitties litter tray in your room? 6 weeks is still really early and most kittens would still be with their Mum. Make sure you keep the kitten in a confined space for a while, such as a bedroom - just while he learns to use the toilet tray and gets comfortable etc
also, a normal sized box may be too large for such a little one - try using a shallow pan - not more than 2-3 inches high.
if that doesn't work, try the KittenAttract litter - worked really well for my Firefox!

svtfocus123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i cut up a pizza box and put kitty litter in it..... im waiting for him to use it, any tips on potty traninig?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by svtfocus123

i cut up a pizza box and put kitty litter in it..... im waiting for him to use it, any tips on potty traninig?
as soon as he's finished eating, put him in his box... take his front paws in your fingers & make him 'dig' in it.
hopefully, instinct will then take over!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As much as possible, keep him in a small room (a bathroom works well), preferably one with a tile (not carpeted) floor. Put a low-sided litter box in one corner, and his food and water in another corner.

Your dealing with the equivalent of a 2-year old child, so keep in mind he very well might not be able to find his litter box when he needs it. If he doesn't, he'll find a private place that's soft on his paws, like a rug or clothes lying on the floor, that sort of thing.

svtfocus123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i put him in the litter box and he sniffed around for a while, then after a while i came back there were some poopies in it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

well i put him in the litter box and he sniffed around for a while, then after a while i came back there were some poopies in it
time for the poopy dance!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on getting your little one to use the box! I just finished a 2 week struggle with Aya to get her to use hers.

If you need something more permanent than a pizza box I recommend a cheap plastic utensil tray or a filing tray used to stack 8x11 1/2 papers. At about 11x14 and 2-3 inches deep kitty can get in and out easily. You'll be tossing it in a month when the kitten outgrows it. I got mine at a dollar store.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used a non-stick 12" or so baking pan, the last time we had kittens. Small enough for them to get in easily, easy to clean, etc.

svtfocus123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hes a quick learner
the pet place gave me food when i adopted it, but i dont think it is the right kind, he doesnt want to go potty alot and his belly feels bloated. what kind of food is good for kittens?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

hes a quick learner
the pet place gave me food when i adopted it, but i dont think it is the right kind, he doesnt want to go potty alot and his belly feels bloated. what kind of food is good for kittens?
well, IMO, high-quality wet would be best, w/high-quality dry available for in-between meal snacking.
here're some food links to check out
kitten nutrition
cat nutrition
what food do you use & why