New Cat And Old Cat Experiencing Aggression Problems (HELP!!!)

weresquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so bear with me, I just now joined these forums to ask some questions.

I have a cat that my family has owned for 3 years named Ritz (she is 4 years old). She is a brown tabby female and she tends to be quite the jealous type.

About a week ago (2 days before Christmas) my dad decided to adopt an older female orange tabby cat named Goldie, who is 5 years old.

As of right now they don't seem to be getting along. I know that it takes some time for cats to adjust to eachother, but their "aggression" towards one another just keeps escalating to be worse and worse. At first, they would just growl and hiss at each other and part ways. But just this morning, Goldie launched at Ritz and attempted to fight with her! There were loud noises and very scary sounding hisses and what sounded to be one of them getting hurt. :[ I think they have already hurt each other before when I wasn't around, because Ritz has a cut in her ear and Goldie has what appears to be dried blood on her back (but I'm not positive). One of the main problems may be that Goldie is, for lack of a better word, a fat cat and wants to eat all the time. We usualy feed Ritz some wet food about twice a day, but whenever we try to feed her AND Goldie now Goldie tries to eat her food too and it makes her unhappy. I've tried separating them when they eat, but they still show aggression towards one another.

I need help!!! How could I prevent their aggression from getting any worse? I really don't want to have to get rid of Goldie because I really like her and I would never want to get rid of Ritz because we have a history... This is stressing me out so much and I just need some advice please.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Start by putting them in 2 different areas. You can not toss 2 cats who don't know each other in a house and have warm feelings for either one. You need to introduce them slowly, by letting them get to know each other through the door so to speak. Each cat needs to get use to the others sent, on you, on stuff, in the home. Make sure you are giving equal attention to each. I would allow each cat to run around the home at different times suppervised by me, so they can get use to smells ect. Lots of play time for both, lots of love, and lots of time to learn about each other. This may take a few months. Maybe less. Good luck!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Are both cats spayed. If not, that can lead to aggression. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weresquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Welcome to TCS. Are both cats spayed. If not, that can lead to aggression. Good luck.
Yeah, they are both fixed.

I just think Ritz is jealous because she was here first and Goldie is beginning to become attatched to me.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is upset, you brought a srange cat in her home. And you expect her to share everything. HECK NO!!