Feline Herpes

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So to make a long story short I just found out Deagon has a strain of cat flu called Feline Herpes. As with ppl he'll have it his whole life but his symptoms will be better over time. He and Murfie will now pass this back and forth I'm so excited....heavy sarcasm intended!
He has to be isolated for 10 days while on his treatment, he also has conjunctivitis and a chest infection. Im heartbroken, just when him and Murfie were really getting along I have to separate them and poor Deagon thinks he's in trouble

Has anyone else got a cat with this condition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links, its nice to know so many other ppl have this problem I had no idea it was a common thing. I will def join the feline herpes group

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel has it [has had it, to my knowledge, for 3+ years now]. her 1st flare was about 4 months after Mouse died, when Java came home. her next one was when Chip came to live w/us, & her most recent was last year when Firefox joined our family. i'm slow, but learning - basically, anytime she's under stress she can flare.

her herpes causes small sores to appear, 1st on her face. it spread to her front paws the 1st time [i think from her washing] but hasn't since.

i watch her face carefully, keep feliway going, put lysine in their drinking water... most of the time she does fine. during a flare, if it's REALLY bad, i'll make a little 'soup' of chicken baby food, lysine & water & syringe it into her. i have to syringe it because [wouldn't you know?] she's the only one of my cats who DOESN'T like baby food - the others think it's fabulous stuff.

are you having to isolate Deagon because of the other health problems? because the herpes is a lifelong condition - you can't heal it, only treat it.

there are some lysine treatments available for herpes [Viralys, Enisyl-F], but i use the lysine capsules for people - i just open the capsule.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Deagon has to be isolated as he also has conjunctivitis and a chest infection. Are the Lysine caps ok for dogs as well? My cats drink from the dog bowl (even though they have their own!!!).

Poor sweet Murfie was searching the whole house before "calling" for Deagon then came and sat on me as if to say "where is he mum"....it seriously nearly brought a tear to my eye

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Murfie

Deagon has to be isolated as he also has conjunctivitis and a chest infection. Are the Lysine caps ok for dogs as well? My cats drink from the dog bowl (even though they have their own!!!).
it won't hurt them - it's an amino acid. you can [if your cats eat wet] mix it into their wet food. i put it in the water because Pixel won't eat wet food, only kibble.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the breeder know about this??? I've never had a cat with Feline Herpes but having the Herpes Simplex virus 1 myself I know how painful it is.

(Just coldsores and often shingles for me)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm like wellingtoncats and I too carry the herpes simplex virus 1 so I know how awful a flareup makes you feel. Jack has it and its only a matter of time that Harley shows signs as well. We treat with L-Lysine here--which is the same way I treat myself. I buy the tablets and crush them into the boys water.

Leslie

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko takes it out on my other cats.
She has a flare up now and is not being nice.
Her Lysine is the kind you put on her paw.
She had this on and off since she was 3 months but I did not relize it was herpes until someone said to have her checked for it in Sept.
She is now 8.5 years old.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Deagon will eat wet food so I will put the Lysine in his food as soon as I buy some. How often should he have it and can he have it with the medication he's on now?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Murfie

Deagon will eat wet food so I will put the Lysine in his food as soon as I buy some. How often should he have it and can he have it with the medication he's on now?
i think maintenance dose is 250 mg per day, raised to 500 mg during a flare. the caps i use are 500 mg, but you can get a powder that you could use smaller doses of - here's one, & here's another. don't get the gel Viralys [maple-flavored, btw] - my Pixel hates it.
since it's an amino acid, i would think it'd be ok to give w/his current meds, but you might double check w/your vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I don't think I would separate them. They've already been around each other with Deagon being sick and Murfie isn't sick. Just because Deagon has Herpes doesn't mean that Murfie will ever get it. If Murfie's immune system is strong enough, it'll be able to resist the virus.

Did your vet do the Real PCR URD test for the Herpes virus? If not, I'd highly recommend that you have both your kitties tested. For some reason, vets don't know about the accuracy of the Real PCR URD test. That really frustrates me!

Stephanie

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As ive mentioned they are only separated for the 10 days because he has conjutivitis and a chest infection and the vet advised keeping them apart so Murfie doesnt get it too. I assumed Murfie would def get herpes as well???Ugh this is all so confusing

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if any of my others have it, they don't show any signs - & both Cable & Firefox will mutually groom w/Pixel.

basically, it's like having herpes simplex as a human [fever blisters]. my sister used to get a fever blister whenever she had a cold, etc. & altho i was raised in the same household [less than 2 years apart in age] & we drank after each other, etc. i never did.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get fever blisters and hate it.
Coco and Meeko have been together for years and I see no signs Coco has it.
Coco does get a runny left eye sometimes but it is not herpes and she sleeps with Meeko and licks her.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so just so I have this straight, I should let Deagon be with Murfie even with his other illnesses?? Im confused haha!
They're pining for each other but I dont want her getting sick as I have been on hols for 3 weeks and cant afford another vet bill right now...yesterday cost $185

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i can't speak to the chest infection. the conjunctivitis is probably from the herpes, tho.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's what I was thinking. So far from what Ive read the weeping eyes is caused by the herpes. He's quite sick at the moment, sneezing a lot...some of which went all over me...VERY WET lol

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats take it out on the other cats when the herpes is active?
Meeko is being a b**ch right now.
She smacks my other cats and growls at them when thye go near her.
I sure would hate to bring her to the vet for a test because she will go nuts.
They want to do some test on her eyes to see what type of herpes it is.
I thought there was only one kind.