Kittens poop builds up and just falls out.

mycuriouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 week old orange Tabby named Milo, He uses his litter box all the time about 3-5 times a day, we feed him Halo (spots stew) wet ,and Halo (Spots Stew) dry mixed together 3 times a day. His poop is solid every time, but the last 3 days, poop would just be coming out in 1/2 inch to 1 inch chunks, then falls out while he's just standing there, playing, walking... anything... He doesn't even know that it's happening. He still poops the same as always 3-5 time a day, so this happens between poops...
He's been to the vet and he's up to code with everything. They told us just to watch him.... for what????

Does anyone know what this could be and why it might be happening.

Thanks

MCC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of... she should NOT be pooping 3-5 times a day regardless... He should poop once a day, and it should be firm... 3-5 times a day I would be concern the food he is eating is not agreeing with him... Did you change his food recently? This could happen for a couple of weeks if you did... Make sure he drinks a lot of water... Have you told the vet how much he usually poops?

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really? My kitten poops twice a day, and it's firm. She poops more if something's wrong and her poop is runny. But she will normally poop at least twice a day. 5 times a day is a lot tho :|

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep... it's actually a way to see how well your kitty is doing with the food they are eating... you should shoot (no pun intended
) to once a day, firm, and dark... Twice a day could be normal... but 3-5 times a day, definitely too much.
Oh boy, who knew one day I was going to research cat's poop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycuriouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys..

We didn't know what kind of food he ate at the shelter so actually we did change his food without realizing it. and when we brought him home he was pooping solid. So were gonna try just dry food twice a day and see how he does. He does drink enough water.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woudn't change the food again. Also, wet will be better than dry, especially if he is having the runs... - what are you feeding him?

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't limit a 9 week old kitten to just twice a day. Growing kittens need lots of food. As far as I understood, kitten poop is a lot different then adult, usually more often and not as firm. Or maybe the brand doesn't agree with him.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mycuriouscat

poop would just be coming out in 1/2 inch to 1 inch chunks, then falls out while he's just standing there, playing, walking... anything... He doesn't even know that it's happening. MCC
Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with a cat not knowing it's pooping? This happened with my cat (who is down to about 6 lives now) when he was severely anemic (due to infection) and having seizures because of it. He would defecate during seizures. Doesn't sound like your kitty is sick, but that is just not normal. I'd ask that vet to elaborate a bit.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with a cat not knowing it's pooping? This happened with my cat (who is down to about 6 lives now) when he was severely anemic (due to infection) and having seizures because of it. He would defecate during seizures. Doesn't sound like your kitty is sick, but that is just not normal. I'd ask that vet to elaborate a bit.
I also think it's not normal at all... all around... the least it could be an upset because of a drastic change of food...

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been on any antibiotics? They can do wacky things to the digestive system. And did the vet check him for tapeworm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycuriouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We stopped giving him wet food, only dry, twice a day but little snacks between feedings and this seems to be working because this has not been happening for the last two days... yeah!! his poop is solid but a little soft and yesterday he went 3 times. He was on Clavamox for ten days due to sneezing, but has been off it for a few days...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to pick it up, squish it around in your fingers a little, then rub it on your forearm to be sure!!!!

Ok maybe I'm kidding. Seriously though, GREAT to hear that it's working. Poor little guy must have been thinking "What the heck? is this thing non-stop?"

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

you need to pick it up, squish it around in your fingers a little, then rub it on your forearm to be sure!!!!

Ok maybe I'm kidding. Seriously though, GREAT to hear that it's working. Poor little guy must have been thinking "What the heck? is this thing non-stop?"
OMG. You just made me laugh and snort out my soda. I was about to ask if that was some old Cat poop ritual that I had never heard of. HAHAHA!