Black cats - always the last adopted & they know it

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try telling me these guys don't know everyone's looking at the pretty kitty that's in the cage under them.

Our friendliest kitties right now are black ones - we have 2 adults that are black - one DSH one DLH. Then we have 5 black DSH kittens ranging from 4 months to 8 months. Two of which were born in foster care & are now 7-8 months old. We also have 4 predominently black torties, too.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God... you just broke my heart into a million pieces......... Oh....... Now I feel bad that my next one is a white one....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Try telling me these guys don't know everyone's looking at the pretty kitty that's in the cage under them.
you are mistaken - THESE are the pretty kitties!

seriously - these are some simply beautiful black beauties - even prettier than my Chip [but don't tell him i said so ]!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love black cats! I have 5! not that I have much choice in my cats
but I love black cats
that second pic looks exactly like my El Bel

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
That really is heartbreaking...

I just don't understand it, but then I never really paid attention to colours for my cats, I just accumulated the ones that adopted me...
Those are some gorgeous kitties that would definately end up in my home if I met them in person..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Oh my God... you just broke my heart into a million pieces......... Oh....... Now I feel bad that my next one is a white one....

I NEVER should have looked!
It's just breaking my heart!

Believe me, if I didn't already have ten cats (6 of them being all black) I'd grab those precious babies up in a heartbeat!

How can anyone walk right past those precious, adorable, gorgeous black bundles of fur & absolute joy? I love all cats, but out of all the ones I've ever had, the black ones have always been the most sweetest & loving of them all!

Oh I want them sooooooooooo bad! I knew I shouldn't have looked!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, the black ones are just a little slower than some of the other colors at our shelter, and actually quicker than the tabbies.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Oddly enough, the black ones are just a little slower than some of the other colors at our shelter, and actually quicker than the tabbies.
Slower how? In speed, or brain waves?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't it strange how perceptions differ from one country to another - black cats are considered LUCKY in the UK and folks are happy if a black cat crosses their path.

My first three cats were all black cats - one was my childhood companion from when I was 4 until he died from cancer when I was 16. Then, we got another black cat and he lived with my parents until he was 16.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...they are soo adorable
but their desperation is so, so sad

Maybe they could be caged with other colors, to suggest a theme, and then maybe be adopted with their color-coordinated cagemate

Sending mega prayers and vibes that they all get adopted into good homes, hopefully in at least pairs
.....TCS magic can work miracles, right

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

Isn't it strange how perceptions differ from one country to another - black cats are considered LUCKY in the UK and folks are happy if a black cat crosses their path.
i'm not so sure that is still the case here. the shelters are predominantly full of blacks and black & white kitties. they are just not wanted. i have even seen adverts for litter mates that are charging more money for the gingers, tabbies and torties than their black siblings.

i love blacks and b/w's. my dear rb boy sinbad was the sweetest kitty ever and shinobi is so similar to him it is uncanny. having said that, rb daisy (b/w) was the most aloof cat i have ever known. i always felt so honoured when she let me stroke her!

if i was looking for a cat in that shelter, those 2 bundles would be coming home with me!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, tears came to my eyes
Gorgeous kitties. I have no idea why black kitties would be so difficult to place.. Is it all because of superstitions?

This is just so sad

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the darker colours, especially in Australia's harsh climate. The ones with pink noses & ears can get sun cancer. I'd take a black cat over white any day.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Slower how? In speed, or brain waves?
In adoption and going out the door in little carriers to happy homes!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

OMG, tears came to my eyes
Gorgeous kitties. I have no idea why black kitties would be so difficult to place.. Is it all because of superstitions?

This is just so sad
That's part of it. And they aren't as "interesting" looking to many people who think cats should be tabbies or calicos...

Usually, the ones that get snapped up first at our rescue are the "pointed" cats... then the other markings/colors... no particular one leads the other .. and yes... the black cats are left behind.... double

We have two black brothers right now -- absolutely darling boys!
They are watching their sibbies get homes ... and they are still with us. The bigger kitten has absolutely the most gorgeous glossy fur!
And they play together so well, love to see them go together, but that's not likely to happen. One gives kisses and the other likes to knead when you hold them.

I always try to encourage poeple to consider the black cats... and to choose a cat based on personality and not color or markings. I'm often not that successful b/c people come in with their minds made up beforehand.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, superstitions, just not cute enough, whatever other reason they feel like giving.

I am not sure if any of you remember Hope & Lotus, the two moms that shared the mothering of all their kittens and some surrogate ones too. All of their kittens are long since adopted but these two beautiful medium-haired black girls are still sitting there.

Then there are the 'car kittens' Mustang, Bentley & Ferrari who were born in foster and now 6 months old. Mustang was finally adopted yesterday.

The 4-month-old brown tabby who came in on Tuesday? Adopted within an hour.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are gorgeous, it's so crazy to think people have superstitions about them
When we got Teddy our black Kitty, he was in a cage above some kittens and I was looking at them and he hit me on the head
I fell in love immediately, that was 7 years ago

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!! Bless them sweetie pies

I adore ALL kittys
Black is just a color......

I have 2 black cats and never once thought anything about a "superstition"

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww they look just like my Osiris. I would take em if I could. I am at max cat capacity right now. They are adorable. How can you not want a black cat is the true question? Forget superstition... My black kitty is the biggest sweetie and lover, he has not brought me bad luck by any means. People are silly sometimes IMO. I understand being superstitious but let's get real here.