Oh my goodness Chicken Casserole

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbors Mom, who is an absolute dear, and has two rescue cats named Hope and Chance, gave me recipe the day after Thanksgiving, and I'd just laid it on top of the refrigerator. She said she had talked a cousin out of the recipe for a casserole that she'd brought for the Thanksgiving dinner.

Well, I found it again yesterday, and tonight, I had a "something different" urge, so I made one.

"Oh, my goo' ness".

Should anyone want to try it, I won't keep you in suspense

2 pounds of chicken - cooked, boneless (I baked mine)
1 cup Sour Cream
1 box chicken flavor Rice-A-Roni
Chicken broth or bullion and water
1 box Stove-Top Stuffing
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup

Mix sour cream and soup. Add this mixture to the chicken. Prepare a box of Rice-A-Roni using chicken broth instead of water. Add Rice-A-Roni to the chicken mixture. Combine well and pour into a 9x13 casserole dish or baking pan.

Mix stuffing according to package directions. Top the chicken mixture of the stuffing and bake 20-30 minutes at 350 or until browned.
WARNING: Once the chicken mixture is complete and waiting in the dish, being mugged by housecats wanting your chicken becomes a very real possibility

eta: Having a baked potato the size of a "Nerf" football on the side works really well too

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mike whats Rice a Roni, cooked packet rice?

And the chicken broth, is that just a chicken stock cube?

Whats the stove top stuffing as well?, is that dried stuffing like we have and you just add water.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Whats the stove top stuffing as well?, is that dried stuffing like we have and you just add water.
I'm not Mike...but:

Chicken broth: can be bought in a can, like canned soups, only its just broth. OR you can use the stock cube (bouillion cube)

Rice a Roni and Stove Top stuffing are both in a box (or packet for the rice) ...basically just add water to it.

http://www.ricearoni.com/

HTH.

The recipe looks great. I might try that next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, yes and yes!

Rice-A-Roni is a boxed rice dish, consisting of about a half cup of rice, half cup of vermicelli, and a powered chicken flavor packet. Rice-A-Roni is merely the brand name, you could probably find a substitute, or mix up your own.

For the broth: The recipe called for 2 1/2 cups of water, so I just used that with 3 chicken stock cubes, and boiled till the cubes dissolved.

And yes, just the dried stuffing. The one I used required water and margarine.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have Rice-a-Roni here but Rice Risotto could work here as it is a mixture of rice and pasta.

I might ask my sister in law to send us some, along with the broccoli and cheese rice that we love so much!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Just one more question?. When you use "cups" to measure, would that be the size of a normal coffee mug, or a small cup that we use for tea in the UK?.
One U.S. "cup" is 99.37 grams, if that helps. I usually just figure a little under 100 grams. For liquids, a cup is roughly 1/4 liter.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds salty

Susan,
1 cup = 16 tablespoons so you should be able to find the best measurement from there.
I can't think of anything exactly like Rice-a-Roni back home as it has the pasta in it too, but Stove Top is similar to Paxo

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanson's chicken broth does come in a lower sodium can and there are lower sodium soups available as well. I don't make a habit of buying cream soups for that purpose and would whip up a white sauce instead of the soup-probably won't need much more that 8-10 oz of a white sauce. I think you would still have plenty of chicken flavour from the other ingredients.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Swanson's chicken broth does come in a lower sodium can and there are lower sodium soups available as well. I don't make a habit of buying cream soups for that purpose and would whip up a white sauce instead of the soup-probably won't need much more that 8-10 oz of a white sauce. I think you would still have plenty of chicken flavour from the other ingredients.
That's an idea. We don't have cream of chicken soup here, and I was just trying to figure what would be a good substitute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

That's a really excellent idea
There is no doubt that it tasted very "chickeny"
A sour cream/white sauce mix sounds excellent, I'll try that next time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susan and Trish, I buy Knorr boullion in litre plastic-coated carboard containers - both beef and chicken. I use the beef for my stew and chicken for anything requiring less of a heavy flavour. Since Knorr is a European brand name I'm sure you should be able to find it in your stores. I used to use bouillon cubes but found them very salty. The Knorr bouillon is wonderful stuff. We also can get Campbell's in the same containers here in Canada but I much prefer Knorr for bouillon or soup mixes. Much better quality IMO.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made this and put it in the oven. I've been thinking about it all day, LOL! I'll let you know how it turns out!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update, it was amazing! It is a total comfort food, LOL. I used light sour cream, and fat free chicken soup, so hopefully that helped.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Susan and Trish, I buy Knorr boullion in litre plastic-coated cardboard containers - both beef and chicken. I use the beef for my stew and chicken for anything requiring less of a heavy flavour. Since Knorr is a European brand name I'm sure you should be able to find it in your stores. I used to use bouillon cubes but found them very salty. The Knorr bouillon is wonderful stuff. We also can get Campbell's in the same containers here in Canada but I much prefer Knorr for bouillon or soup mixes. Much better quality IMO.
I use the Knorr bouillon, too, Linda. Their vegetable bouillon is quite good, too.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to say, I made this yesterday, I used the broccoli & chicken rice a roni flavor, added a little cheese and some of those French's Fried Onions on top of the stuffing and it was so good!! Yum!