Lamasil and wilbur

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been putting lamasil on wilbur's ringworm sores. he's only got two of them, and to be honest I don't think they bother him that much.

Every time i put medicine on his ear (Lamasil) he licks his paw, then scrubs the spot on his ear repeatedly.

Is that OK? I can't really get him to stop doing it but I want him to get healthy too so I don't want to stop the lamasil

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I've been putting lamasil on wilbur's ringworm sores. he's only got two of them, and to be honest I don't think they bother him that much.

Every time i put medicine on his ear (Lamasil) he licks his paw, then scrubs the spot on his ear repeatedly.

Is that OK? I can't really get him to stop doing it but I want him to get healthy too so I don't want to stop the lamasil
Not familiar with all the anti-fungal meds, but isn't Lamasil for humans?

I would definately be concerned with him ingesting it off of his paw, as well as by him scrubbing it off, I wonder if the cream is stinging him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah it's for people. but i was referred to lamisil by the rescue group that is here in town. They said the vet would give me cream that would cost 10 times as much and it would be exactly the same as lamisil.

the tube doesn't have any warnings about poison so he should be ok.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i used a human anti-fungal [i think it was for yeast infections] on Pixel when she got ringworm.
just rub it in REALLY well.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And wash your hands THOROUGHLY afterward because ringworm is contagious.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamysil is too harsh for their skin.... Believe me, I researched this veeeeerrryyyy well... You should keep the Lamysil for you, and get some miconazole (for yeast infection) - they have 2 and 4%; 4% is better... If you read the warnings on Lamysil, it will say to not use near mouth, eyes, or genital area... obviously not the case for miconazole
; I know they can be costly, but lamisyl can burn your kitties skin, mouth and digestive tract... PS: I can send you some miconazole I got for Lucky; I bought it but decided not to use it; will use colloidal silver instead... Lucky's skin is too sensitive for any cream
Just pm me with your address if you want and I mail it to you tomorrow

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Lamysil is too harsh for their skin.... Believe me, I researched this veeeeerrryyyy well... You should keep the Lamysil for you, and get some miconazole (for yeast infection) - they have 2 and 4%; 4% is better... If you read the warnings on Lamysil, it will say to not use near mouth, eyes, or genital area... obviously not the case for miconazole
; I know they can be costly, but lamisyl can burn your kitties skin, mouth and digestive tract... PS: I can send you some miconazole I got for Lucky; I bought it but decided not to use it; will use colloidal silver instead... Lucky's skin is too sensitive for any cream
Just pm me with your address if you want and I mail it to you tomorrow
Please be very careful with colloidal silver ... I use it sparingly for me and would NOT use it without vet guidance...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know it's really starting to piss me off that I keep listening to people that SHOULD know what they're saying and they cause me more problems ( the local rescue group here in town). Poor little wilbur is worse now. his whole ear is beet red and I can tell it's hurting now.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this is getting scary fast. Wilbur is now sitting in the bathroom by the litter box. he's thrown up 4 times in the last 30 minutes and it's slightly pink which tells me there's blood in it. i checked and there is no local e-vet and even if there was I couldn't afford it.

Can anyone give me a suggestion?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the posion control center for the state your in ... likely in the first pages of the phone book

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lamisil isn't poisonous to cats. i explained the dose i gave him (it's not pills it's cream) and they said that shouldn't cause sickness. I only got a little bit on him he squirmed too much. I think it just irritated his ear.

But now, after he's thrown up a lot, he's bouncy again and seems to be OK. he's talking again and playing. So whatever was wrong i think he got it out of his system. whew

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, it's not going to be poisonous... It's just too irritating for their skin, and if they lick, to their mouths... Good thing whatever it was is out of his system!!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah that's what I think too. i don't have experience but based on what i've read from people like you who know, that makes sense.

Now if I can just get tinker to come around. I think her tummy is still upset. poor little girl has gone through a lot in the last week. I know she's hurting because when i lay on the bed now she runs over to me and lays down, smashing her back into me. She never cuddled like that before, I think she's looking to me to help her. So i just pet her as much as she'l tolerate. that seems to be what she wants.

Her little boobies are full of milk too and since she's not nursing i'm sure that doesn't feel good either.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor Tinker... Can you put some warm compresses on her tommy? Maybe a warm water bag wrapped in a moist towel...
Pepto Bismol can be good for their tommies too, but just a little bit though... I gave it too lucky tonight, the little bit she took in has helped the rest has made her face a nice shade of pink! She has the runs because of a purina overdose a couple of days ago

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
btw: I would not use lamisyl anymore... shelters like it because it kills the ringworm faster, but it doesn't mean it hurts the skin.... Cats' skins are soooo sensitive...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol. yeah I think i could try a tiny bit of pepto.

Warm compress might be a great idea for her. i'll try that. Thanks1

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

btw: I would not use lamisyl anymore... shelters like it because it kills the ringworm faster, but it doesn't mean it hurts the skin.... Cats' skins are soooo sensitive...
oh believe me, after today the lamisil is gone.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you know what - don't give pepto either - too many mixed reports about it... some say it's ok, some say it's not.... so better safe than sorry... It did help to calm down lucky's tommy, but... vibes galore for you.... and the kittens too!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

you know what - don't give pepto either - too many mixed reports about it... some say it's ok, some say it's not.... so better safe than sorry... It did help to calm down lucky's tommy, but... vibes galore for you.... and the kittens too!
Pepto at one time was safe as it was NOT made from a salicilate( ie ASPIRIN) but a bismuth... Many vets for some reason still dont know about the change thou it happened at least 5 yrs ago ....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah... I see that.... I gave Lucky very little... like 1-2ml... It did help her... I think her poor stomach was sooo bad from the purina... poor child
It made her feel better, and she started eating again. I read that you shouldn't use it as humans do, frequently, but once in very small dosage is ok... It's strange to see that vets are so specialized on dogs, and not as much on cats... Sad really

I sent Fastnoc a PM to not give it to them just in case though.