At what age...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marko Palace

What is the best age at which a female cat should be spayed?
the earliest your vet will do it.
locally, it's 8 weeks/2 pounds.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soon as you can after weighing 2lbs, my girl and boys were done at 10 weeks before I got them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
prior to 4 months is best no later than 6 months

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just for interest's sake....who makes these rules/suggestions. Our local spay/neuter clinic won't spay a female under 5 pounds, and won't neuter a male before 6 months of age.

The Humane Society does the 'fixing' before the cat leaves their shelter, regardless of age. My Cameo was fixed prior to my bringing him home at about between 5-6 weeks old.
I've read that males may suffer a bit from such an early neutering....small head, undeveloped penis and proneness to urinary tract infections. I don't think these medical conditions have been proven....just something that has arisen, I guess.

It's interesting how different areas have different 'rules' about the same circumstances.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The traditional 'speuter' age was six months, and that remains 'tradition' in many places.

However, cats are hitting sexual maturity earlier (or people mind more) and vets have gotten better at surgeries on the tiny systems, I guess.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I've read that males may suffer a bit from such an early neutering....small head, undeveloped penis and proneness to urinary tract infections.
From the Winn Feline Foundation report of early altering
http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/early-neuter.html
Concerns that development of the urinary tract might be arrested or impaired by early spaying and neutering proved unsupported
I think head size is genetic, Demetri's father is smaller than Farleys father, thus Farley has a bigger head than D. Early alters can still get jowls too, as was shown to me when I said they didn't

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Missymotus for that link. It was an interesting read. It's an old study, but I suppose things can't get worse, right?? I just worry that my 6 month old may suffer consequences down the road due to his early neutering. I waited until Samson was 6 months old to have him done...and Phoebe was 5 months old. She's going to be 13 yrs in March and so far, not a thing wrong with her (except for peeing outside the litter box
, sometimes)

I certainly agree with spaying and neutering and is factored into the cost of owning a pet.

Forensic, I just was wondering why the different policies, especially within the same city. I understand the Humane Society's point of view. I just hope it's a safe one!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are telling me I had Yoshi fixed to young but Coco could not be fixed be cause it would have killed her.
I was not taking any chances so Yoshi was fixed at 3 months.
When Yoshi was 4.5 I was told he had kidney stones and they could not be removed.
People blamed me saying his urethers were small because he was fixed early.
He had stones in there also.
They also think he had dry fip which I know does not come from being fixed young.
The vet never said anything like that.
I lost Yoshi Jan 11 2008 almost a year ago.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hundreds of kittens get spayed/neutered very young, younger than Yoshi, in this country all the time...

I don't think getting him done early had any effect on his health.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet likes to wait until 6 months for spay/neuter if possible. However she is more of a holistic type vet...
My Maine Coon's breeder advised to spay between 7-9 months old.