Dollar Store finds :)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the right forum but.....

Does anyone else do some shopping at the dollar store?

The one I go to has some awesome kitty stuff:

Have you seen those things that hang on the door, have a string and a ball for kitty to bat at? I've seen em in other stores for 5.99 and up. Dollarama has them for a buck. Granted, Kizzy had the ball off of it in 3 days, but I just tied another toy onto it

Things to buy at the dollarstore:

- doorknob hanging toy
- cat food mat (Kizzy is a messy eater)
- pet drying towel (haven't tried it yet)
- IAMS canned food. 2/buck.... cheaper than walmart
- food dishes. I got an automatic waterer, that is holding up fine... now lets home Kizzy does NOT knock it over LOL.
- kitty treats
- litter scoops
- kitty greeting cards and signs

What have you found at the dollar store???

sidenote: lots of my reptile supplies come from dollarama too

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i got a carrier at Dollar General - long pyramid shape, pink, says 'Princess' on it [i think it's a dog carrier?] for around $13.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Family Dollar has a sale this week on Friskies, 3 5.5 ounce cans for 99 cents.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a ton of success with the everything's $1 type dollar store, but the discount "dollar" stores often have some really awesome stuff!

I got my carriers at Family Dollar for $12 each. They are very nice collapsible dog carriers for up to 25 lbs. I get compliments on them every time I take the cats out in them.

I found some "Da Bird" knockoffs there too for $1 each. The wands were very flimsy but the heads were great and used that same bead chain connection as Da Bird - so I bought like 10 and took the tips off so I would have lots of spares for cheap!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing we ever got at a dollar store was my Mom's dog Abby!

Other than that; you do find some good deals on things. I just don't remember to stop there often enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, definately you get what you paid for sometimes....

I would imagine, the doorknob hanging toy I mentioned above, if bought name brand it might last a little longer...dunno and won't know LOL. Once the ball came off, I just tied another toy onto it.

I only have a Dollarama in town (everything's a buck).... we used to have another store that was a "just a buck +" which had things over a buck... unfortunately it went out of business.

Dollarama has the cutest notebooks and sign's, etc. with kitties on em

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy poop bags at the dollar store

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have shops were everything's $1, but we do have discount shops. I've got some cute cat beds for only $10 that would cost more than double that anywhere else.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ The plastic bags everything else comes in are the poop bags around here.

I've found small tennis balls before that were meant for dogs but work great for cats. Otherwise I usually find better prices elsewhere or by buying in bulk. Dollar General does carry quite a bit of name brand food (human) food, though, so DH and I shop there often.

I will have to check out Family Dollar and see if the one in town has decent carriers. I'll be in need of an extra one soon.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dollar store Green Markee with $ sign.

Cadbury Bars
Kids puzzle's 35 pieces
Bubbles
Food Tong's
Spatula's
Magic towel's ( put them in water, turn's into hand towel)

Great for stocking stuffer's!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ The plastic bags everything else comes in are the poop bags around here.

I've found small tennis balls before that were meant for dogs but work great for cats. Otherwise I usually find better prices elsewhere or by buying in bulk. Dollar General does carry quite a bit of name brand food (human) food, though, so DH and I shop there often.

I will have to check out Family Dollar and see if the one in town has decent carriers. I'll be in need of an extra one soon.
I actually use baby diaper bags for walks and with the snow this year puppy is potting on the concrete ...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy may daughter hair pony O's at the dollar store. Most of the expensive ones, the new nonslip, cut her hair. They also make great kitty toys. I also buy scrapbooking stickers, they make great homemade cards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I buy may daughter hair pony O's at the dollar store. Most of the expensive ones, the new nonslip, cut her hair. They also make great kitty toys. I also buy scrapbooking stickers, they make great homemade cards.
Our $ store has a whole aisle with scrapbooking supplies

Dishes, glasses and mugs.
Decorations
some grocery items.
Lots of hair items.

The store even has pregnancy tests. I did not believe a cheap, $1 test would be accurate but I've had a couple friends who were pregnant (knew already) buy the test to see if it was accurate, and it was.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 99 cent only stores where everything is 99.99 cents each. It used to be 99 cents each but they had to raise their prices
Some items may be 2-3 for 99.99 cents

I have gotten

wine - dh says these are very good. I have gotten wine from Australia, France, Africa and several other places. I have googled some of them, and they are $14 and up per bottle! Sometimes I get 12 bottles for less money than I can buy 1 bottle at the store!
non dairy creamer
a 18" Christmas tree
Christmas decorations
- I made a wreath from the items I got from there. total cost for the wreath was about $5
trash bags
calendars
babywipes
- even though I don't have a baby

candy
canned food
ibuprofen
hydrocortazone cream
kitchen towels
cat toys
lavender bubblebath

And other things I can't remember right now.

At the Dollartree I have gotten similar items but they have helium mylar balloons too! All for a dollar each!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the dollar tree!
They have some cute kitty food bowls
and treats and toys..as well as doggie things...and at like halloween or christmas etc you can find CUTE decorating stuff!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my favourite ones sell ALOT of acrylic paint, brushes, canvas and craft things. If i am making these things for myself, i do not see why i should spend and arm and a leg on tools and materials. I'll worry about that once i start Uni but not for now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Two of my favourite ones sell ALOT of acrylic paint, brushes, canvas and craft things. If i am making these things for myself, i do not see why i should spend and arm and a leg on tools and materials. I'll worry about that once i start Uni but not for now.
With art supplies, you get what you pay for. Cheap paint tend to not to last as long, spread or mix as well, and may even be a bit weak pigment wise. If you shop around you can get very nice acrylics on sale, and because they're better quality and usually thicker you use less (less coats of paint needed). If you every venture into water colors or oils, quality will definitely matter.

Brushes affect the quality of your work. Some types are better for specific paints. I've found that high quality sable brushes work best for water color for me, while synthetic bristles are fine for heavy acrylics. Cheap ones tend to fall apart or lose shape after a while. Again, look for sales.
Paper should be decent quality and the proper paper for what you're using it for.

Some of the other stuff you can cut corners on. I spend a little here and a little here and have acquired a large collection of paints, brushes, paper, and several other art supplies. I'm not even sure how many pads of paper I have now, but there's one for practically every media and size needed. I usually buy them for 40-50% off.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, I was once on a dedicated fleet for Dollar General Stores. A lot of what they had was name brand (General Mills stuff, for example), and a lot of it was overstock from other stores, such as Wal-Mart.

Believe it or not, there is a LOT of money in that business, proven by the number of competitors that have sprung up.

Dollar General carries a generic cleaning soap (I'll have to check for the name later) that is even recommended on national websites for cleaning the outside of trailers, trucks, etc.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to the Dollar General store for the first time a couple of days ago, inspired by this post. Boy, did I save some $$$ there or what???
They have soooo much name brand stuff - corn flakes, oatmeal, cereal bars, canned food, spices, condiments, milk... you name it!
I think from now on that is going to be my 1st stop when shopping, then I hit the super market afterwords... I was shocked - AWESOME!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a word of caution about Dollar General. You can save money, but you better be aware of your grocery store's prices on stuff. I have found things actually priced at a $1 more at Dollar General.

For those that feed Friskies. This comes in big "loaf" boxes, if you don't mind fishy flavors or gravy types, you can usually average it out to around .33-.35 cents a can. Best prices for this are at Wal-Mart and Sam's.

I buy DH's Dr. Pepper at Dollar General as it's usually $4.69-.89 a 12pkg anywhere else and around $3.50-.70 a 12pkg there.