No checks? No problem!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It used to be a ritual to sit down about this time each year and fill in the year on your blank checks so that when you wrote a check you would not put the previous year. That was then and this is now. I asked DW a little while ago where our checkbook was and she replied she had no idea, that we have had no need to write a check for years. So I started thinking about that and it is true; all of our bills are paid by automatic deduction from our bank account and of course everything else is handled by credit card.

I think checks are going the way of lighthouses.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally prefer not to have my bills paid by automatic debit. I want to know exactly how much I'm paying for each month's bills and since it can vary depending on usage (hydro/gas/telephone long distance), I would never be sure because I would probably end up not checking out the automatic debits each month. I still use cheques for certain things such as my hairdresser who does not have the facilities to use a debit card. Living in a small town, often the local businesses do not have debit card ability because of their cost involved in setting it up and monthly fees/transaction fees.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my bill are set up to be paid throw the bank, but I still get to choose when and how much to pay which is great because I have had problems with automatic debits a couple of times. When I moved for instance, even though I phoned to have the account numbers changed for my new place almost a month in advance the still paid the old account and the new..I of course had the money returned however their excuse was I wasn't clear on what I wanted done with the old accounts...

I still pay my rent by check and have them in my wallet just in case I also had a couple of instances when the debit/credit card machines have been down and I don't usually carry much cash.

However I will say if you try to use one somewhere they almost ask you for a your complete life history, and a DNA sample

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i ordered 200 checks about 10 years ago... still haven't used them all. i keep a checkbook in my purse, just in case i need it - but i almost always use my debit card. bills are paid thru the bank - some are automatic [mortgage, cell phone] the rest i pay via the bank when the bill arrives.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay nearly everything by card or cash anymore. I have a few things that are by check... and rent is not one of them. I go in and do my rent online each month... as well as everything else. I still know when it's happening... because I set it up.

From a retail perspective: I hate checks and wish people would just stop using them. We do ID number, etc... as well as running it through a service to make sure its a current and 'in good standing' account. There are jerks out there who will pass bad checks on purpose, hence the '3rd degree' when you write a check at a store. Once our customers see they have to sign the printout from the service, some comment, 'I should have just used my debit card.' Well, duh. I know in some areas it's more convenient as Yosemite said, but in larger metro areas like Portland, checks tend to be more trouble then they're worth. Some large stores (like IKEA) won't take them at all... I wish our store didn't. They slow the line down, and when I have five people in line at my register, I need to move fast.

Well, off to work now.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I live in a small town and most of the stores are set up so that once they've verified your checks/checking account it's in their system and they can put it through without all the rigamarole each time. I don't even have a debit card, not sure why but I think it wasn't offered at the time I opened my account 18 years ago and I never bothered later.

I do use online banking for all my bills except the mortgage. I pay extra on the principle every month and there's no way to specify that in automatic payments.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheque books are practically extinct here in the UK. Infact it's hard to find a shop that will accept a cheque now?.

It's mainly only buisnesses that use them, but then the majority of those do all their payments through what's known as a BACS transfer which is through the banks.

I have to admit i didn't like the idea of them fading out, but now that i use my card i find it a lot easier to check off all my receipts against the monthly statement, instead of having page after page from the bank of all the cheques i cashed

All of my bills are paid by direct debit as well (Straight out the bank at the same date each month)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still use mine for some things, I pay my bills online, but not through automatic withdrawal as my cable company once got my account mixed up with someone elses and messed up the wthdrawals, taking over $500 one month then although I had a credit for many months, cancelled my service because I hadn't paid them in 3 months. So I just go online and put the bill payment through.

I use cheques for rent, memberships at various groups / associations and any donations to the shelter as I know they prefer cheques as the girl who does donations batches them and they have to remember to tell her every time they do one by debit as it has to be entered into our accounting system that day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmmm, cheques? What are those?

Very very few places accept them anymore.

Everything we do is done via online banking, automatic withdrawl for the bills that stay the same each month (we get a E-Bill for those ones) and credit or debit card. I very seldom have alot of cash on me but I try to keep a $20 on me at all times.... you never know when you might need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I do use online banking for all my bills except the mortgage. I pay extra on the principle every month and there's no way to specify that in automatic payments.
I wonder why. We pay extra on the principle each month with our automatic deduction from our account. We told them exactly how much to take out each month and how much over the standard mortgage was to be used towards the principle. There have been no glitches, at least so far.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else had problems getting automatic withdrawl set up? Our mortgage payment, water, electric, and one other bill all seem to be having problems - it's like no one bothers to set up our accounts for that at all.

We still use check for a few things, but usually use our debit cards.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think cheques will ever be obsolete.

When I declared bankruptcy I had to give 9 post dated cheques to the trustee. And for automatic bank withdrawals you have to give a voided cheque.

That being said, I do my bill paying via internet and my other transactions either through interact or money order if I have to send something in the mail. I use money orders because the cost of them are included in my monthly banking fees. Plus I don't have to worry about keeping track of what has and has not come out of my bank account. With a money order the money is deducted instantly, so I don't worry about making a calculation error and ending up with an NSF cheque.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I wonder why. We pay extra on the principle each month with our automatic deduction from our account. We told them exactly how much to take out each month and how much over the standard mortgage was to be used towards the principle. There have been no glitches, at least so far.
I don't know, it was something about not having any place to specify where the extra money should be applied: principle, escrow, etc. Maybe if I call and talk to a real person I'd be able to set it up. Sure would make life easier.

When I lived in Austria 20 years ago EVERYTHING was done by direct transfer: rent, bills, magazine subscriptions, whatever. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about a checkbook.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We pay for most things on-line or with a debit or credit card.

That being said, there are still things that we need to pay for by check. For example, our GP now takes credit cards but my psychiatrist does not. My hairdresser can take credit cards but she get charged a fee that she can live without. I would have to tip her extra and while I love her, I prefer to give her a check. Also, the check actually gets posted to her account faster.

I pay the lovely young woman who cleans my house with a check. She was born here, but she is not set up for me to pay her by credit/debit card.

Lastly, I have been in my favorite stores when the lines for the debit/credit cards went down. It was cash or check only or come back later. I keep a check with me for that reason because I keep only $40 or less with me, mostly less. I will say that in my favorite grocery store I could have walked out without paying because they know I will be back. I did pay by check that day and they didn't ask me for any info.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

Dutch banks have stopped issuing cheques in 2002. We do fine without them.
It's the same here in Germany. Personal checks were done away with when the euro notes and coins were introduced. Most regular payments are made by direct debit mandate or standing order. One-time payments are rendered by credit transfer.

If you don't want to pay cash at stores, you use a debit or credit card. A lot of vending machines only accept debit cards nowadays.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I don't know, it was something about not having any place to specify where the extra money should be applied: principle, escrow, etc. Maybe if I call and talk to a real person I'd be able to set it up. Sure would make life easier.
on my online banking, i can write stuff in the 'memo' area if i want - maybe write it there?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Cheque books are practically extinct here in the UK. Infact it's hard to find a shop that will accept a cheque now?.
Pretty much the same here, my first job 15 years ago was as a cashier and we rarely saw cheques. When we did it took 5-10 minutes to verify the cheque before putting it through - hardly convenient

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

And for automatic bank withdrawals you have to give a voided cheque.
We just need to give the bank branch number and acct. number.

I do all of my banking online, but the only bills that come out automatically are my internet and mobile.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I personally prefer not to have my bills paid by automatic debit.

I'd rather pay my bills by check, too.
It's easier to keep track of everything that way, and if I forget to deduct from my debit card, my balance doesn't get messed up. I also have a carbon copy for a receipt.

So far, I haven't had any problems forgetting to write in the correct year.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I write a check for is the rent. Everything else is paid online or through automatic debit. Groceries, I use my debit card