Does your cat talk to you?

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering, I've heard lots of people say they have convo's with their cats, like they'll meow back to them if talked to. And my friend's cats do it to them as well...and so does my bf's...

But my cat never talks back to me. If she's playing she'll let out a few meows, but other than when she's playing or if I've locked her out of my room, she never meows...

Is that normal? Is she shy? I want her to talk to me

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
some cats just don't talk. my first cat did not say word until she got older and could not jump up on the counter to get to her food dish. Then you knew when she was hungry cause it would not stop. Worm my first male cat is a non stop talker, he always has to let you know where he is in the house. He also talks back when you yell at him. Sloth is also a talker like Worm, except i think he just likes to hear himself talk. Some cats just like to talk and be heard while others are quiet, all depends on the cat.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats vary a lot in their vocal habits. Sterling is a howler; if he thinks he's been abandoned, he's very loud. But he doesn't talk a lot.

Punkin talks to us, but he just has a squeaky little voice.

Ella is getting more vocal. It was long time before we heard her make any vocal noise.

And we all know how Rosie is...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
of my 5, Chip & Pixel will 'talk' to me, usually when they want attention. Cable, Firefox & Java don't, as a rule.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is a big talker! Every thing I say, she is perked up as in "Are you talking to me?"! If the cell phone is on speaker phone, she goes nuts! Runs over, rubbing and sometimes biting! If I ask her a question, 80% of the time she has an answer! Though she definitely only talks to me, she isn't a "meower" in general!

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lily talks to me but shes a Siamese so it's expected
But she is pretty quiet for a Siamese!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spooky is a talker. He talks to me all the time whether I say anything to him or not. Sometimes he just walks around the house and talks to himself or maybe the walls? But yes if I talk to him, he talks back.

Mulder is overall very quiet until the food dish comes into play and then he tells me in no uncertain terms that I am taking far too long in preparing his dinner!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the cats my mom had while I was growing up never talked, at least I don't remember them doing so. They would meow occasionally but never have convos with you. Gus' mom didn't meow at all hardly.

Gus was pretty vocal, and I thought he talked a lot until we got Nora. She will literally have a conversation with you if she is in the mood. It's pretty funny. Milo only talked to you if he was hungry and he saw you washing dishes (which sometimes meant he was getting wet food, b/c I would wash the cat bowls first).

Nora only talks to me or my husband, though. If we have any other people in our house she turns mute and won't talk again until they leave.

knottygirlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow isn't a talker, infact she rarely meows at all.

Squirt, on he other hand talks all the time - even in his sleep. When he first camed to our house he would open the door and announce his arrival. He uses alot of different tones, too. I know what his mood is just by the way he is talking to me. He has his happy tone, his sexy tone and of course, his urgent "if you don't feed me this instant I'm going to perish" tone.

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kimi is a kitten, so she's quite talkative. i meow, she meow; n vice versa.

onli problem is when she's in trouble, she doesnt call for help. once she was trapped in the toilet. doors closed behind her. usually we call 'kimi come', n she'll come running. but tat time, she didnt. we went hunting the whole apartment for her.... onli to find her sitting in toilet, waiting at the door for it to open... if onli she had meowed

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my boys announce their presence when they enter the room--Jack in general is more of a talker than Harley but they both talk. We love our talkers- wouldn't trade them for the world--its actually why we choose Harley!

Leslie

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zero chirps. Sometimes, if he's hungry or just feels like begging, he'll hold a conversation and respond to anything I say.

Pumpkin talks. A lot. For the first six months, she would not shut up. When she was spayed, our vet kept her overnight (standard practice here), and the techs had to move her to a separate room from the other cats because she was upsetting them with her jabbering, and she was hoarse when I picked her up. She's still very vocal, but she's calmed down a bit.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now I only have one main talker, Tweety. He wanders around chirping, talking, in fact, he's doing it right now. My Sammy
was also a talker. He used to sit in the bedroom window and talk to anyone who walked by outside. He also talked to one of my neighbor's cats when he would sit in his bedroom window! Lilly-Rose is more of a screamer. When she wants to eat, she gets up on the counter and let's it go. She has a very high pitched, ear splitting scream. She also makes her presence known whenever I am on the phone. If she is getting scolded, she talks back. If one of the other cats are being scolded, she throws in her 2 cents also.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane is usually quiet, but sometimes he'll start wailing and yowling like he's in agony--but there's nothing wrong with him. Silly cat!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty, Scream was a big talkier, imagine that with a name like Scream!
Now it's G, she does this Meo-Meow, very loud, and I continue the convo,
I tell her all kinds of things and I swear she knows exactly what I am talking about!!! Especially when I say, "I got turkey!" she comes running and meow-
meowing, if I hold it over her head, she will get up on her hind legs, and turns around in a circle, sort of dance. Then Patches, she has picked up on it, except she is so timid and sweet that her talking is very gentle, sometimes just the mouth moves, and nothing comes out!
I always encourage
talking with my cats! They are all so alike, and yet so different!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunalover

I was just wondering, I've heard lots of people say they have convo's with their cats, like they'll meow back to them if talked to. And my friend's cats do it to them as well...and so does my bf's...

But my cat never talks back to me. If she's playing she'll let out a few meows, but other than when she's playing or if I've locked her out of my room, she never meows...

Is that normal? Is she shy? I want her to talk to me
My Charlie was only vocal when he really needed to be. When Jazzy passed away he came out of his shell after 8 years and now he is alot more vocal.

Cleo didn't make any sound when we got her, i think that's because of the pain she was in when she was found. But now over 2 years later, she's always mrring and mewing, especially when she has her teddy bear
oh and she's the first cat i've NEVER been able to hear purr! You can only tell when you touch her throat

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

oh and she's the first cat i've NEVER been able to hear purr! You can only tell when you touch her throat
my Java is like that - i can't hear her purr unless it's deathly quiet [which, with my lawnmower Chip, it rarely is]. she also has a very quiet, kitten-like 'mew' [she doesn't say me-ow, just mew - 1 syllable, like a kitten
].

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Harley is extremely talkative. Everything you ask her will be promptly answered with a mew, or a string of mews and other noises.
She chirps, she makes what I call a rolling meow, because it sounds like she's rolling "r's", and she purrs SO loudly. She also has perfected an extremely pathetic squeak when she's trying to beg for something.

When I first got her and I'd go to bed at night, she'd wander around the house yowling "helloooooo?" looking for me (thankfully I've gotten that to just about stop).

I have no idea what breeds she's mixed with, but apparently somewhere in her lineage are some conversational kitties.

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are very big "talkers", my boy doesn't shut up, my girl resopnds if I initiate a conversation.

In fact, just recently I was researching this issue with my boy Cage (neutered DSH, 5 y/o) because his noise is causing us to lose sleep. I have discovered that he is a "hypervocalizer", and that's actually how I stumbled across this forum & joined. It can be very cute & entertaining but also a huge annoyance.

Cage will talk to anyone, and nothing, but Cruz only talks to me or 'Daddy'.

Cruz will lie down in the middle of the hallway or the living room, roll over onto her back, and mew (she is Snowshoe Siamese, so her voice sounds like a kitten all the time), mew, mew, mew, mew, trying to get attention, and when you look at her or call her name, she will roll back and forth and tuck her head to the side, we call it "being cute", it's as if she KNOWS how adorable she looks and is trying really hard to make it obvious.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Topaz does the most talking which usually translates as "wake up and feed me!". Ari doesn't talk that much except to the birds, stray cats outdoors, and when he is in crazy mode.

We've had some real talkers in the past. Inkspot (a stray) made his presence known one day when I heard a loud MEOW outside that wouldn't stop. I yelled out the door thinking one of our cats was teasing another. When I finally looked out the door there was a tiny black kitten and no other cat. I was staring at him when this tiny mouth opened out came the loudest meow I had ever heard!

He was quickly accepted and he and Mom would have extensive conversations in the morning when she was getting breakfast ready.