Wow, these kittens learn fast!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my, gosh... I just saw the funniest thing. I'm watching Animal Planet and one of the ladies called, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty" and immediately, my two new kittens leaped down to the floor at my feet and looked eagerly up at me for their treat. At first, I couldn't figure out what they were so excited about, and then it dawned on me - they were responding to my 'emergency call'; a call I've been training them to come to for less than a week!

What smart little kitties!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you train them to do that? Nora rarely comes when I call her. Even if she is sitting 3 feet from me, as soon as I call her she gives me a look like "yeah right, I'm not a dog" and continues to ignore me. She'll only come if she initiates it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess they'll do what ever you want for a treat!! What smart little kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About two or three times a month, I'll loudly call, "here, kitty, kitty, kitty!" and as soon as the cats arrive (which is just about immediately
), I toss different rewards on the floor for them. The treats vary from store-bought treats made by Wellness, to dry food pieces (rarely), to pieces of cooked chicken.

I never allow anyone to call the cats this way unless they are prepared to reward them. This is my emergency training and was put to use back in June when I had an electrical fire in my building. The cats came at my call, despite the horrendous popping and cracking of the fire, and I was able to stuff them in their carrier just in time to be ushered out of the building by a fireman - who would not have waited even one second more for me to catch a recalcitrant cat.

Training them this way is one of the best things I've ever done for my furry friends.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

About two or three times a month, I'll loudly call, "here, kitty, kitty, kitty!" and as soon as the cats arrive (which is just about immediately
), I toss different rewards on the floor for them. The treats vary from store-bought treats made by Wellness, to dry food pieces (rarely), to pieces of cooked chicken.

I never allow anyone to call the cats this way unless they are prepared to reward them. This is my emergency training and was put to use back in June when I had an electrical fire in my building. The cats came at my call, despite the horrendous popping and cracking of the fire, and I was able to stuff them in their carrier just in time to be ushered out of the building by a fireman - who would not have waited even one second more for me to catch a recalcitrant cat.

Training them this way is one of the best things I've ever done for my furry friends.
That's very smart! Thank you for the idea!