My classes start next week and I am worried about something

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my classes start Wed. of this coming week (the 7th) but I am worried about something. As some know I am working on getting my top teeth taken out and I have only four left to go then I can get a plate (dentures). I won't be getting those last four out until the 9th of this month. And it will probably be Feb. before I can get a plate put in. I have had no issues talking with people I know since I had these teeth out because well they have known me for a long time. They knew how bad my teeth were and how much I really wanted to get this done.

What I do worry about is how I will be perceived in my college classes because of not having a plate. Will I be looked down on, will people think I am disgusting, will people not want to talk to me or get to know me because of this. *I mean reality is I know I am there to get an education and I worked how to get here, and making friends are on the bottom of my list of things to do in college. But I don't want to be outcast because of this.

Any advice or words of wisdom for me. Thanks..

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having not been through your predicament, my advice is probably not the best. The people who are worth knowing and being friends with will not even notice your teeth (or lack thereof). As long as you let your personality shine through, the people will not even see your teeth. I hope that sounds right, but it is the best advice I have.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Anyone worth getting to know and become friends with won't care that you are going through the process of having teeth extracted and dentures made. Those are real people....worthy of your friendship

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes a lot of sense Welderwomn and the rational side of me sees that but the unrational (remembers high school) side of me thinks otherwise.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, one of our good friends just had all his teeth pulled and is waiting for his dentures and I really couldn't tell much of a difference just from talking to him. He has a slight lisp right now that he didn't have before, but if I was just meeting him I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

The first few weeks of class are a blur anyway. And, if you're in a class with a bunch of young kids (as in just out of high school) they'll be too busy talking to each other about the next party to worry about you. I think you will do fine. And just think of the beautiful smile you will have soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why all of the sudden this is a concern for me. i have always been one not to really care about what people think of me. But I am just so nervous about starting college all kinds of things are running through my head.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I don't know why all of the sudden this is a concern for me. i have always been one not to really care about what people think of me. But I am just so nervous about starting college all kinds of things are running through my head.
Oh hon, it's completely understandable. I think everyone does that. Starting college, or starting a new job, or starting anything new makes everyone a little nervous and you start picking yourself apart (at least I know I do). I'm usually the one that shows up to a new job or first day of class with a huge pimple on my nose so I look like Rudolp
, just from stress because I worry about things like this. You will be fine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

It makes a lot of sense Welderwomn and the rational side of me sees that but the unrational (remembers high school) side of me thinks otherwise.
well, the ones just out of high school may snicker, etc. but the sane, rational adults you'll want to know better won't.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Anyone worth getting to know and become friends with won't care that you are going through the process of having teeth extracted and dentures made. Those are real people....worthy of your friendship

My sentiments exactly.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand - I haven't had one of my main front top teeth since I was a kid. When I had a bone graft there for an implant, the doc wouldn't let me wear my plate for weeks. I was during that time that we went to Seattle for a week and I was job hunting.

It was pretty embarrassing, and I hated it, but it was fine. People forget about these things pretty fast. You're going to be very self-conscious, just lay low to make yourself feel better, and it'll be over before you know it