Meet Sherman :)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a kitty that was recently abandoned near where my in-laws live when a neighbor moved out and left him. He's very sweet and has been charming all the neighbors out of food. I had planned on taking off with him if it looked like no one else had taken over his care. When he disappeared for a couple of days only to show back up with a large wound on his face, I packed him up and brought him home.

We brought him home from the vet the 30th - he's been cleaned up, on antibiotics (which he really hates), neutered, vaccinated, given a flea treatment, and wormed. He's currently residing in the bathroom. He is allowed out to wander some when I put my other two in the bedroom. Tomas is not happy, but so far isn't acting like there's some horrific monster out to get him (like he did the last time Sho had a bath).

A few quick photos..

I'm hoping that his personality will allow them all to get along fairly well. He's a gentle boy who is cat friendly. Estimated age is between 2-3 years old - he has very nice white teeth and still acts almost kittenish. Being left by his former owner didn't hurt his weight much either, he's a little over 11lbs but is a fairly big cat.

They put him down as DLH on his vet info. I was under the impression that his coat type is medium?
I've had a persian mix many years ago that was fluffier, though I suspect better coat care will fluff him up nicely. I'm very lucky that he does like being combed.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't he a beauty!!
Fancy leaving him behind though, stupid people

Bless your heart for giving him a loving home though, because that could have turned out nasty if he was left on the streets with an open wound

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Isn't he a beauty!!
Fancy leaving him behind though, stupid people
he certainly is - & they most definitely were!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

They put him down as DLH on his vet info. I was under the impression that his coat type is medium?
I've had a persian mix many years ago that was fluffier, though I suspect better coat care will fluff him up nicely. I'm very lucky that he does like being combed.
Well, I'd call him a long hair. Not as fluffy as a Persian to be sure, but he's got a nice fluffy tail and a big mane. I have no idea what the official distinguishing characteristics of LH vs. MH are though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is that stitiches he has in the side of his face?

He is so beautiful
Thank you for helping this sweetie find his way back into a home, where I know will love him

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grrrrrr!! I just HATE it when people do idiotic things like that. Poor baby!

He's gorgeous and very lucky that you came along.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is very very handsome ... I too say longhair ...Many old school drs only have short hair and long hair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Is that stitiches he has in the side of his face?
Yes. He had what looked to be a large bite wound that was infected when I found him.
That night I cleaned it up myself, and by the next morning when I took him to the vet it was already looking better - a lot of redness gone, didn't smell as bad, wasn't hot. But the wound was large enough that he needed it stitched so it would heal more cleanly.

The fur over his shoulders and along his back isn't that long, which is why I'm more inclined to call him a medium hair. I've seen several medium hairs on here with really fluffy tails that beat his.

Unfortunately, this is how I acquire cats. They're abandoned or find their way over near where my in-laws live because there are several people who put food out for their own cats. It makes them all rather lucky. I have some that stay with my in-laws outside because they do not live in town (no through traffic at all) and have a fenced backyard that provides them protection from dogs.
I intend to bring the others over to my house as soon as DH and I get the our fence situation straightened out with the neighbors. We've been neutering and spaying cats for a while now.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, isn't he beautiful???!!! With his size and kittenish behavior he could have some Ragdoll in him. Smudge wasn't longhaired for at least 2 years. He was just sort of "fuzzy"

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh, isn't he beautiful???!!! With his size and kittenish behavior he could have some Ragdoll in him. Smudge wasn't longhaired for at least 2 years. He was just sort of "fuzzy"
I couldn't even guess what his mix is. I've seen a similar looking cat at a vet's office who was huge compared to any cat I've seen. But as far as I know, I've never met a Ragdoll or Ragdoll mix.

I had Sherman out for a little while earlier with Sho. I consider Sho a fair sized cat, slightly bigger than average, and Sherman is bigger.
I think Sho is weirded out a little by this, but he's a peaceful cat who likes other cats so he's not too stressed.

His personality so far is great. Tomas growls and hisses and Sherman sort of goes "durr, lets be friends" and tries to walk right up to him - no aggressive or even slightly defensive stance. I believe this naivety and trusting behavior towards over cats is how he got hurt.
He also chirps and trills instead of meowing.

I only wish all cats were so laid back. It would make everyones lives a lot easier.

Edit: kluchetta - I think you may very well be correct about him. It's possible he could be a Ragdoll or Ragdoll mix since there's plenty of BYBs for animals in Oklahoma. Looking at other pictures, his head shape fits perfectly. The personality fits and even though he's 11lbs right now, he could stand to put on 2-3 more just to fill out better. Hopefully his coat looks a lot better in a couple months, it's a bit dry right now and I still have two mats to finish removing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sherman and Sho enjoying a favorite cat pastime - spy on the neighbors.

They're still sitting over there. Sherman has taken to sprawling on the table, though.

This is the second time they've met and been allowed out together. One cat down and one cat to go. Tomas will not be won over so easily. I suspect that's partially my fault, Tomas is babied and still acts like a 5 month old kitten 90% of the time.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but based on your descriptions of his noises, behaviors and how he looks, I would also second a guess that he's Raggie or Raggie mix!