Hard new year

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Tempyst did it again. Yesterday we had to make a trip to the emergency vet at about 1 a.m. because he was breathing very fast and his heartbeat seemed twice as fast and hard as it should be. The vet said he wasn't going into heart failure (good), but probably has an infection like FIV or FelV, or possibly just a weak immune system (bad). He's on clavamox now and has already lost weight because he won't eat. We got him some wet food today and he perked up but wouldn't touch it so i gave him some from a syringe.
He's fighting so hard and has been since yesterday and he's just so tired...

If you could keep him in your thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery, and for us to make the right decision for him we'd all appreciate it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he will get better.
I lost Yoshi Jan 11 2008.
2008 started off bad but ended with me getting Cleo.
How old is your cat and how many times has he been sick?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
He's a year and three months old today. He gets recurring bouts of pneumonia, and his previous (read crappy) vet thought it was just because of a weak lung lobe and his heart problems, but his new vet and the emergency vet we saw last night think he's got an infection that's causing it. So for now all we can do is keep him comfortable, on antibiotics, and hope he pulls through or goes peacefully.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco had it once when she was 13.
Idiot vet said it was lung cancer with a tilted heart.
When it was severe Asthma with Uri.
I hope something will work for him.
He is young which is better.
My Meeko had a terrible infection last Jan and she was pretty bad.
Her fever was almost 105.
She got clavamox like your cat and she did not eat at all.
Does he have any fever?
Can they find out what type of infection it is?
Do you think he needs to be on fluids?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best wishes that the new vet helps get the correct diagnosis and that your baby gets better soon.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Namo

Well, Tempyst did it again. Yesterday we had to make a trip to the emergency vet at about 1 a.m. because he was breathing very fast and his heartbeat seemed twice as fast and hard as it should be. The vet said he wasn't going into heart failure (good), but probably has an infection like FIV or FelV, or possibly just a weak immune system (bad). He's on clavamox now and has already lost weight because he won't eat. We got him some wet food today and he perked up but wouldn't touch it so i gave him some from a syringe.
He's fighting so hard and has been since yesterday and he's just so tired...

If you could keep him in your thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery, and for us to make the right decision for him we'd all appreciate it.
You wrote that your vet "thinks" kitty has an infection like FIV or FeLV but why is he just guessing? Can't he test for these?

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

You wrote that your vet "thinks" kitty has an infection like FIV or FeLV but why is he just guessing? Can't he test for these?
Yes, both vets recommended blood tests to make sure. He was tested for them when he was a kitten, but we want to get him tested again because he's older. We're on a very limited budget right now, so unfortunately we have to keep choosing between x-rays, echo's, and blood tests, and couldn't afford it at the emergency vets costs or last time he was at his new vet, but we're taking him in next week and we're getting it done then.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Coco had it once when she was 13.
Idiot vet said it was lung cancer with a tilted heart.
When it was severe Asthma with Uri.
I hope something will work for him.
He is young which is better.
My Meeko had a terrible infection last Jan and she was pretty bad.
Her fever was almost 105.
She got clavamox like your cat and she did not eat at all.
Does he have any fever?
Can they find out what type of infection it is?
Do you think he needs to be on fluids?
He doesn't seem to have a fever, which is good, and we're keeping him warm and putting him in a steamy room every few hours to loosen up the crud in his upper resp. system.
We're getting his blood tested next week to hopefully find out what it is. We've been syringe-feeding him wet food today and it has a lot of water in it, and they gave him fluids at the vet last night.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After seeing only a continuous decline in his health, and with as much as he'd already been through, we made the decision today to let Tempyst cross the bridge. His vet said that we could give him more fluids and a shot of antibiotics and watch him over the next couple of days, but that the outlook wasn't good anyway, so we decided it wasn't fair to him to just keep putting him through it, and let him go.
It was very quick, before she'd even finished injecting him, and he was at peace at last.

Tempyst, you fought long and hard for your very life, and we will miss you.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about it, there's no way you could have known.