Wow shocker! albacore?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So i usually try to find something both kittys like for a treat. they don't agree on anything. Wilbur likes those greenie treats, tinker doesn't. Tinker likes sheba premium filets, wilbur doesn't. tinker likes tuna fish, wilbur doesn't.

Today while trying to be thrifty I grabbed two tiny cans of solid white albacore in water. I split it up into two dishes (one can) and low and behold both of them are eating it.

please tell me albacore is an ok treat once in awhile?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope I am aware of that. Which is why I only give it to them as a treat. probably once a month? if that. for the exact reasons stated in that page.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should elaborate. what i really meant was is there some unknown issue with albacore that's not present in tuna.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Here's info on feeding human tuna to kitties, its not a good thing. Sorry.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/FeedingFish.htm
I wonder about Sardines, if they're okay as a treat once in a while? They're a great source of Omega 3 and Vit E. My cats go nuts for sardines, all 5 of them. I believe I buy the type packed in water (not oil). Any thoughts on Sardines, Pami?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

I wonder about Sardines, if they're okay as a treat once in a while? They're a great source of Omega 3 and Vit E. My cats go nuts for sardines, all 5 of them. I believe I buy the type packed in water (not oil). Any thoughts on Sardines, Pami?
I am not Pami but MY vet has a sign " a sardine a day keeps the vet away " so she highly recommend s them

If memory serves Albacore is HIGHER in heavy metals than regular

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed very little fish - they may get a bite of tuna when we make tuna sandwiches (which is NOT often) but I stay way. And I certainly would not feed them more then a spoonful - not the whole can!

Males sometimes have problems with UTI's if they eat too much fish.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding raw, ground salmon to my cats....it is made by a pet food company specializing in raw food for cats and dogs.

They get the salmon in conjunction with high quality canned food.

Most articles about feeding fish to cats is about tuna.....not too much on salmon.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I've been feeding raw, ground salmon to my cats....it is made by a pet food company specializing in raw food for cats and dogs.

They get the salmon in conjunction with high quality canned food.

Most articles about feeding fish to cats is about tuna.....not too much on salmon.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Most raw feeding books and articles say no raw fish ... mostly do to bacteria , preserving agents and parasites ... raw salmon is also associated with a known killer in dogs and cats name is escaping me

http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/rawfish.htm

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Sharky....no more salmon for my cats.

Wonder why a company would continue to manufacture fish food for cats with all the warnings about it? Maybe I better change companies. I'll stick to chicken, beef and turkey.

Thank you again!