Blackeyed peas day!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Texas it is tradition to eat blackeyed peas today to have good luck for the year. Anybody else having blackeyed peas today?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't planned on it, but maybe I'll try it. I could use all the luck I can get.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This makes me think of my Grandma.
On New Year's Day, we would all get together and had to eat black eyed peas and turnip greens. The more you ate, the more money and luck that would come to you for the new year.

We will eat those things today, but its not the same without Grandma.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it myself....but if I have some, I will have em at supper.... I could use all the luck I can get

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Here in Texas it is tradition to eat blackeyed peas today to have good luck for the year. Anybody else having blackeyed peas today?
When I lived in North Carolina, the black eyed pea dish was called Hoppin' John... I think, if memory serves me correctly, that it was made with ham hocks and other good things....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we are having halushka, a cabbage leaf stuffed with a rice and meat mixture, for luck and fortune. I grew up hearing that eating cabbage in any form was the thing to do.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some Hoppin' John and turnip greens on the stove right now; I'm just waiting for the SO to get home so that we can enjoy them together with some cornbread.

I first heard about the tradition when I lived in the South, but apparently, at least some people in the Northeast know about it. I waited until yesterday to buy the black-eyed peas, and I had to go to two different grocery stores to find them! The dried peas were all sold out, so we had to settle for canned this year.

(By the way, I hope 2009 brings good luck to us all, regardless of what you had for dinner today! Happy New Year!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't; but I just read an e-mail from my MIL that said she was making them with greens and cornbread for them today. She's originally from Alabama but lived in Florida for a while growing up too. She's lived in Tennessee the longest now I think.