Male or a female cat??

marko palace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I finally convinced my mom to get me a cat, so now I need to decide, male or female?! I will probably take a blue russian cat, so can you tell me is it better to get a male or a female cat? I live in a 90 m2 flat, and I have a 7 year old brother, so those are the conditions...

Also, please tell me why do you think it is better to take one than the other.
p.s. please don't tell me to take both male and female, because I just can't do that. THANKS!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A male is probably the easiest to care for and the least expensive to neuter, which you should definitely do before he reaches 6 months of age. An unneutered male cat, or a female cat in heat, are both miserable things to live with.

I'm just curious. Do you have animal shelters in Serbia, where unwanted or stray animals can be adopted, as we do here? I know the practice varies from country to country.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you shouldn't base your decision on gender. Personality is what determines how you and your little furball will get along.

And there is no difference in care of females and males although males are more prone to spraying even if neutered.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marko Palace

So, I finally convinced my mom to get me a cat, so now I need to decide, male or female?! I will probably take a blue russian cat, so can you tell me is it better to get a male or a female cat? I live in a 90 m2 flat, and I have a 7 year old brother, so those are the conditions...

Also, please tell me why do you think it is better to take one than the other.
p.s. please don't tell me to take both male and female, because I just can't do that. THANKS!
Before I got Persi, I had nine straight female cats. I was biased against male cats for no good reason. I am so happy I finally got a male cat. He very definately has a male personality and point of view. He is just so different, we are buddies. There has never been a single issue of spraying, the thing that I had wrongly feared about males.

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are certainly ups & downs to both genders, I have to agree with what MsChauer said about seeing the different personalities and deciding from there. It is very exciting for you to get a cat! Yay! Take your time to choose the right kitty for your household, and the right name, too (one of the best parts about a new pet is naming). Congrats!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sretna Nova Godina, Marke!! I lived in Sarajevo for ten years and I have visited Serbia many times. Belgrade is a beautiful city.

Five of my cats came with me from Bosnia, two males and three females. I would agree that it is the personality of the cat that is more important than its gender. Yes, neutering is cheaper for a male, but they also are more prone to health problems later, especially urinary infections. If you are going to let your cat outside, then even neutered males will fight strange cats more than females will. On the other hand, males can be more relaxed and laid-back than females. You will probably know as soon as you see 'your' cat that it is right for you. Welcome to TCS and good luck with your choice.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my long time experience with mixed breed and pedigrees, the males (neutered) tend to be more outgoing, friendly, and easier in accepting new pets then females are.

I will take a male over a female of any breed/mixed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 Girls because I had so many problems with the males.
Frisky and Bogart both died from blockage.
Meekos only kitten was pts Jan 11 2008 at age 5.
My Sasha is a Russian Blue Mix.
My husband banned me from getting another male after Yoshi.
Yoshi was fixed at 3 months.
I have only had one female with Uti's and that is Coco.
She has another one right now.
She is 16.10 now.
Her son just had bladder surgery and has had crystlas more then once.
He peed everyhere until the day he was pts.
I did everything to try to save Yoshi but they think he had fip and he had bladder stones that could not be removed.
He lasted 8 months.
My brother has 4 males and 3 females.

Here is a link about Russian Blues.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/russian.html
He has spraying problems with 3 of the males.
Ash was fixed young and he is the worse one.
I refused to give him up.
I would not go by sex.
I would go by how they act.
Do you know anything about Russian Blues?
Meeko has the same Russian Blue mom as Sasha but you can not tell she has it in her.
Oreo is part Russian blue also but you can not tell.
Coco is one of my nicest cats ever.
Even the vets love her.
I did love frisky alot even though he only lived a year.
I am so scared to get a male and lose him young again.
Not all males spray.
Midnight only does when he is sick and my sisters males do not spray either.
I think it depends on the cat.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will also take a male over a female just for the reason that all my males have been so loveable. I agree though that you should go by personality. I have never had an issue with a neutered, indoor only male spraying in my house. Actually I had an indoor/outdoor cat that didn't spray either. After visiting with a few kittys you will be able to tell which will work best for you and your family...I still vote for male

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lean towards males in all species... they seem more laid back. But personality is really cat-dependent... maybe go in and ask the shelter about personalities and hang out with some cats... One you hadn't expected will probably win your heart.

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

If you are going to let your cat outside, then even neutered males will fight strange cats more than females will. On the other hand, males can be more relaxed and laid-back than females.
I've observed a similar thing. Our males were friendlier toward people than the females, but did not tolerate other cats as well as the females. Not trying to generalize. Just indicating that different folks have had different experiences. So it must depend more on the individual cat.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls are more friendly towards people, but Jack is very shy.

Jack is more mischievous than what the girls are as well, so i don't think it makes a difference whether it's a boy or a girl, it's their personality that makes them what they are, and all three of them are love bugs