Neutering woes :-(

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued my my cat when he was approximately 3 months old.

Ive had him indoors 99.9% of the time and he has alwasy been VERY well behaved, goofy and spastic of course, but not one single time did he EVER use the bathroom anywhere but in his litterbox, and he never scratched anything except his scratching post.. I couldent have been happier..

Well about a 2 weeks ago, that all went south.. he started roaming the house crying these very odd DEEP cries, sitting at the window and doing the same, he tore the carpet all up at the bottom of the staircase next to the front door.. and he began spraying.. EVERYWHERE..

Immediately I found out this was (more or less) normal, and set up an appointment to have him neutered.

He went in yesterday, and had the procedure, now from what I read, neutering would do away with or at least DRASTICALLY reduce the instances of spraying and curb the restlessness and horrible noise..

Well I picked him up yesterday evening, he was of course still groggy and did do much but lay around.

I wake up this morning, to something I really didnt want to hear.. the same horrible screaming, I go to leave for work and the carpet at the bottom of the steps has again been ravaged.. he runs down trying to get out as I leave, then goes to the corner where he has sprayed before.. and begins to do it again, I of course stopped him.. but regardless..

Im really upset, I though neutering would put an end to this crap! Its just as bad as it was before!!

does it take a while for the neutering to "take effect" or something?

if this keeps up, hes gone.. I cant stand this. .. Ive pulled up the carpet at the bottom of the stairs, removed the padding, washed it, shampooed the carpet 3 times, cleaned the floor underneath.. and i STILL smell cat urine, I bought a black light to help me find it an everything.. I absolutely detest that smell. If he keeps this stuff up, hes gone like yesterday's paper.

please give me some good news!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wingnutt

does it take a while for the neutering to "take effect" or something?
yes - it can take a couple of months for all of the hormones to dissipate... that's why it's best to neuter before sexual maturity, if possible.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! It takes a month or two for the hormones to change. The nasty tom cat odor in his urine will also disappear and he will lose interest in digging out and yowling. Since he has just started spraying he will most likely stop doing that too.

Keep thinking of the lovely boy he was and will be if you just don't give up on him now.

for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

yes - it can take a couple of months for all of the hormones to dissipate... that's why it's best to neuter before sexual maturity, if possible.
a couple of MONTHS?! oh god, this is going to be rough.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, there ARE reasons most people, including vets, urge you to neuter your tom cat before the age of six months.

But I would bet most of the problems will disappear in a week or so.

Now, if you could just do the same for teenagers...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... not wanting to be mean, but... why wasn't he spayed before this happened? It's not his fault.... He can't control hormones....

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Hang in there! It takes a month or two for the hormones to change. The nasty tom cat odor in his urine will also disappear and he will lose interest in digging out and yowling. Since he has just started spraying he will most likely stop doing that too.

Keep thinking of the lovely boy he was and will be if you just don't give up on him now.

for you.
The pee is the only thing that really bothers me, the cost of it is $300 and climbing as I have already purchased a carpet shampooer and chemicals etc etc to combat it..

problem is, it doesn't work.. especially down stairs, by the front door, its a small area and the air doesent circulate well there, so the stink just sits.. and it hits you in the face like a tennis racket when you walk in the front door... and this is AFTER.. AFTER!!! I have first dumped a bout a gallon of "stink away" or some such crap I got at pet smart, let the dry, then pulled up the carpet, cleaned the pad, cleaned the concrete below the pad, and shampooed the carpet 3 times.. You still smell it.. and I don't mean "do I detect a hint of piss?" I mean "uugh!! what is that!!"

Im embarrassed to have people over now..

Ive given up on aggressively attacking the odor, im just hoping it dissipates at this point.. ive tried everything.

If he does it in my bedroom, Ill put him in the microwave.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Well.... not wanting to be mean, but... why wasn't he spayed before this happened? It's not his fault.... He can't control hormones....
he was a rescue, and I had no idea his age, and i was TOLD (incorrectly it seems) getting them neutered before they reach maturity can cause them to have medical problems.

from what ive read since though, that is BS.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wingnutt

a couple of MONTHS?! oh god, this is going to be rough.
Yes it is.... but it's something that will eventually end.

Make sure you get a really good soap/shampoo/whatever for where he has sprayed, so that it completely gets rid of the smell.

Good luck. Glad you did get him neutered.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

pic of the perpitrator

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont want to scare you but Ash was fixed at 3 months and he sprays everything still.
He is now 6 years old.
Alot of times it helps but not always.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what a handsome boy!
some of the 'better' remedies for odor i've seen recommended are Nok-Out & Anti-Icky-Poo.

also, get a black light to find spots - you'd be surprised!
black light
black light 2
black light flashlight
found this, also:
Since cat urine is Ammonia based you should not use an Ammonia based cleaner (most household cleaners contains Ammonia) \t\t\t\tto clean the cat urine spots because it will only entice your cat to urinate on the same spot again.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually laughed out loud when I saw "anti-icky-poo"

If I bought some of that I would set the jug in the middle of the coffee table just to watch people's expressions as they read it.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

he is gorgeous

he comes in real handy when I need a test subject when Im playing with my camera.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Aww! How could you possibly think such an innocent face is responsible for all the stink?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for your willingness to go through this for your cat's sake, Wingnut. Your sense of humor comes through strong, as does your affection for the perp.

(I, too, use my kitties as camera test subjects.)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow this is crazy!! I never thought reaching puberty could cause so many problems!! I was planning on getting Jake neutered at 6 months, but maybe I should do it earlier now that I read this thread. What is the safest latest age to get a kitten neutered?

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The testicles have to be grown out from the body (in horses, it's referred to as "dropped"), this is different from cat to cat. I had my boy neutered at 4 and a half months, I believe.

You can find a vet who does laser surgery and get them done at 8 weeks old, I have heard.