Random Acts Of Kindness

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know yesterdays question of the day pertained to this but I would like to challenge all of you to join me in my resolution for this year again.

I have been trying to perform a random act everyday for this past year. Most days it was something simple, other days it was something more.

I know alot of you perform acts of kindness with your fostering, helping at shelters, etc.

For those of you who want to try this, it is really rewarding. Example of some of the things I did this last year were:

Paid the toll for the person behind me.
Walked Neighbors dog, cuz she was really sick
Made dinner for sick friend

Nothing really that important, but everyone really appreciated whatever I did. Got the idea off the Oprah show.

I try to imagine that it might make the world a little kinder place to live, and isn't that something we all want??

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I could do it every day, but I engage in random acts of kindness all the time, from helping little old ladies in the grocery store to telling strangers what they're wearing looks nice to letting people take cuts in line. I don't really even think about it that much. But I agree, the world would be a better place if we all took a little extra time and effort to take care of one another.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I don't know if I could do it every day, but I engage in random acts of kindness all the time, from helping little old ladies in the grocery store to telling strangers what they're wearing looks nice to letting people take cuts in line. I don't really even think about it that much. But I agree, the world would be a better place if we all took a little extra time and effort to take care of one another.
I do at least pop by the shelter most days though

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to do little random acts all the time. The best place to do small good deeds is the grocery store. There's always some (usually) older person who can't reach something or can use help carrying something.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a necklace for the really nice waitress at my favorite sushi restaurant because she admired mine last time hubby and I went. She seemed really pleased and surprised.

Beyond that, I generally try to help people as much as possible whenever I can. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to do RAOK whenever I can....I've always felt strong about it... whether its a simple thing like holding a door open for an eldery person or someone with a baby carriage or something more, mailing a small gift to a friend.

I think back to the life I've led, and man, what a difference RAOK would have helped me.

You never know what kind of gratitude you will get from being kind... a smile and a thank you is all I really like to see. If I don't get it, well, I still feel better knowing that I helped someone out.

I don't get out alot, so some of my RAOK are online... a virtual hug, a msg to something I think would appreciate it, telling people I'm greatful they are in my life, even on here.... internet chat is hard, things get misunderstood...its very kind to clarify and smooth things out.

I wish more people would consider being a little kinder to people. You really do NOT know how your lack of consideration can affect a person.... it could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

or

an act of kindness could just save someone emotionally.

How hard is it to be considerate? kind? It's not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I made a necklace for the really nice waitress at my favorite sushi restaurant because she admired mine last time hubby and I went. She seemed really pleased and surprised.

Beyond that, I generally try to help people as much as possible whenever I can. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
That was a really cool thing to do, I bet she really liked it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't make a point of doing RAOK every day, but do it when the situation arises.

On Christmas eve, the woman at the grocery store in front of me didn't have enough money to pay for her groceries. You could tell she had scrounged as much money as possible to pay for the food (she was pulling out piles of pennies), and there wasn't a single thing in her cart that was frivolous. She would have had to take back things like baby formula and diapers to pay her bill. So I told the cashier to put the things she couldn't pay for on my tab. The look on her face was enough reward.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I don't make a point of doing RAOK every day, but do it when the situation arises.

On Christmas eve, the woman at the grocery store in front of me didn't have enough money to pay for her groceries. You could tell she had scrounged as much money as possible to pay for the food (she was pulling out piles of pennies), and there wasn't a single thing in her cart that was frivolous. She would have had to take back things like baby formula and diapers to pay her bill. So I told the cashier to put the things she couldn't pay for on my tab. The look on her face was enough reward.
Very nice. I'm sure you made that woman's day by being so thoughtful

Its nice to see that there are a few people out there who value the reward an act of kindess can give.

The world would be a much nicer place if all people tried to be randomly kind to others. In real life, in a virtual world, (people often forget that there's people behind the typing)..... kindness doesn't have to cost anything. Even right here on this board... if you see people struggling, give them a "just because" gift..... send them a PM (its so much more personal). In real life, hold a door open for someone who is struggling.... give a food coupon to someone who needs it.

Does anyone else have any other ideas of random acts of kindness?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

To me, that is more than a RAOK... that is a saving grace! And a totally humane gesture!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Very nice. I'm sure you made that woman's day by being so thoughtful
Originally Posted by AddieBee

To me, that is more than a RAOK... that is a saving grace! And a totally humane gesture!
Originally Posted by psjauntie

what a wonderful thing you did for that woman!
It was only about $25. She had the most inexpensive types of food in her cart like Ramen Noodles, etc. There wasn't a single bag of chips, cookies, or any soda. So when I said she had nothing frivolous, she really didn't. All I could think of is her trying to feed her family on Christmas day without any real food. And me with a big standing rib roast in my cart. I think most people would have done the same.

My mom always said "what goes around comes around". I've adapted it to "pay it forward". The world would be a better place if everyone did things for others.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

I know yesterdays question of the day pertained to this but I would like to challenge all of you to join me in my resolution for this year again.

I have been trying to perform a random act everyday for this past year. Most days it was something simple, other days it was something more.

I know alot of you perform acts of kindness with your fostering, helping at shelters, etc.

For those of you who want to try this, it is really rewarding. Example of some of the things I did this last year were:

Paid the toll for the person behind me.
Walked Neighbors dog, cuz she was really sick
Made dinner for sick friend

Nothing really that important, but everyone really appreciated whatever I did. Got the idea off the Oprah show.

I try to imagine that it might make the world a little kinder place to live, and isn't that something we all want??
I hope you don't mind, but I want to clarify something.

I know psjauntie in real life. The examples she gave are tiny compared to what she really does for people (including furry people). She and her husband are some of the most generous and helpful people that I have ever met.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why thank you Rockcat. Sometimes the smallest things we do are the most rewarding. BTW tell your DH Happy Birthday!!!!