Anyone else think this is a bit strange?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, about 2 hours ago, I was at the pc. (I'm home alone.) I had the French doors open in this room, to air the house out, and also most of the upstairs windows. Now, our backyard fence is only about 10-12 feet from the doors, and on the other side, is a common area, but we do own a couple of feet past the fence on that side. People can walk on the common area, but on ours, it's extremely rare (I've been here over 4 years). I heard something walking on the leaves behind my fence, turned around then saw a man, facing my house, pressed up against the fence, staring at me ( he could see my back clearly from there). I think he was at first staring into my yard (he could also see the open window upstairs), but I don't know why he would be--nothing interesting there. I know it's not illegal, but it just seems a tad odd, esp, when I caught him staring at me. When I got up to lock the door, he left fast; I can't honestly say he ran, as I didn't actually see him, but he was gone very quickly. I kind of wonder if he was casing the house, esp. as he saw the open windows and the open door (BTW, the French doors have sliding screens in them; I wouldn't leave open if it weren't for those, in case you were wondering).

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m very wary of that sort of thing. My boyfriend's house has been broken into several times. So please be careful.. and mindful.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he could have been just taking a pee, but i dont blame you for being freaked out, i would certainly make sure to always keep your doors locked, i had an apartment where i was robbed at gunpoint, ever since then im very aware of my surroundings, always keep my house.e locked, i keep my car doors locked, if im walking into or out of a store i check my surroundings, im not paranoid just being safe.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd give the police a call, just to let them know - they may be able to (a) send the patrol cars around more frequently just as a precaution or (b and worst case), maybe this guy was casing the area and the cops would like to be aware of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sounds like he was having a pee and you caught him, lol.
Don't think so--his hands were in his pockets!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would freak me out. I keep all my blinds & curtains closed at night just so no one can possibly see in. The idea of looking up to see someone looking in at me is creepy.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Close up and lock!!! He may of just been a drunk and you cought his interest for the moment. He may of been a returning peeping tom though. Scary stuff.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'll tell ya, I'm about ready to MOVE! First, 3 years ago, the phone company "rapist", as DH & I call him (the supposedly-from-the-phone company guy who tried to break my front dooor down, when he couldn't get in by turning the handle, as I had it locked. The cop I called found him, called the phone co., & found out he was not from there, and they had never heard of the co. he said he was affiliated with); the other one earlier this year, who kept accosting me, in the dark, at my mailbox, and wouldn't take "no" for an answer; The Beagle Guy, the neighbor who thinks he can walk his dog on my lawn, and let it poop there, and not clean up; when I challenged him about him, he told me where to go; "Mr. Creepy-Peepy" this morning, and now, the neighbor who I just saw let HER dog go on my front lawn (no relation to the Beagle Guy, as far as I know!)

I have had everything locked up all day, as is my custom, except for when I was airing the house, and I've been checking to see if "Mr. Creepy-Peepy" was around; haven't seen him, but I will be vigilant in the coming days, just in case.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

Maybe he thought your back was sexy? :|
Well, I'm glad SOMEONE does! Makes me think of myself differently now!

(If he wants to see a horror movie, he can save himself the DVD rental fee, and come back to see the FRONT of me!)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sounds like he was having a pee and you caught him, lol.
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Don't think so--his hands were in his pockets!
Maybe he was doing it in a round-about way?
Who knows now-a-days!

Seriously, I'd at least file a police report. My grandma had her purse stolen from her house once, while she was out mowing the lawn. The really creepy part about it was is that she went inside the house to do something and noticed the bedroom door was halfway shut. She just figured the wind had blown it through the open windows b/c it was windy that day, but when she discovered her purse missing and after she thought about it, she figured the person who stole it had probably been hiding behind the door when he/she noticed her coming back into the house.

You can't be too careful now-a-days. I'd rather be paranoid than hurt or worse....

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I'd give the police a call, just to let them know - they may be able to (a) send the patrol cars around more frequently just as a precaution or (b and worst case), maybe this guy was casing the area and the cops would like to be aware of that.
Definitely call the police. Let them know what occurred. Usually, they come to check it out when they can if you tell them that you are not in danger now, but tonight you may not be able to get them to come over. Just go on for the record.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading the post: "Anyone else think this is a bit strange?" I thought about my worst, or funniest, story about New Year's Eve.

We live in a steep neighborhood, very residential. We live in a house on the "middle" level. There are houses above us and houses below us off the side street cul-du-sacs.

When Ben and Jen were young, we didn't go out for New Year's Eve. We knew that one of the homeowners below to our right had been letting his nephew stay there for free. The nephew had a New Year's Eve party.

It started with the cars. There were calls parked all up and down the no-so-main street. Not only did people park and block one of my driveways, but they walked on my lawn because we do not have a sidewalk.

That was just to start. The party of young adults was very loud and we could here the music. It would have been okay if the party broke up a little after midnight. Yeah, right.

Around 3 am the party broke up. Our master bedroom faces the street so I heard all of the party goers talking and laughing to get to their cars and walking on my lawn.

The worst was a young woman. I could hear high heels clicking on the street - if you really saw my street you would wonder how this could be.
She kept calling, "Tony! Tony!" I had visions of Tony having rolled down the hill in front of my house and wound up in our pool. All I could think of was,

"I SURE HOPE THAT TONY IS A CAT!"

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oops! I meant to submit a new thread and not post this here. Oy! I haven't even had a drink because it is 6 pm in SF!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

After reading the post: "Anyone else think this is a bit strange?" I thought about my worst, or funniest, story about New Year's Eve.

We live in a steep neighborhood, very residential. We live in a house on the "middle" level. There are houses above us and houses below us off the side street cul-du-sacs.

When Ben and Jen were young, we didn't go out for New Year's Eve. We knew that one of the homeowners below to our right had been letting his nephew stay there for free. The nephew had a New Year's Eve party.

It started with the cars. There were calls parked all up and down the no-so-main street. Not only did people park and block one of my driveways, but they walked on my lawn because we do not have a sidewalk.

That was just to start. The party of young adults was very loud and we could here the music. It would have been okay if the party broke up a little after midnight. Yeah, right.

Around 3 am the party broke up. Our master bedroom faces the street so I heard all of the party goers talking and laughing to get to their cars and walking on my lawn.

The worst was a young woman. I could hear high heels clicking on the street - if you really saw my street you would wonder how this could be.
She kept calling, "Tony! Tony!" I had visions of Tony having rolled down the hill in front of my house and wound up in our pool. All I could think of was,

"I SURE HOPE THAT TONY IS A CAT!"
Sounds like one of our neighbors! Last Summer, they had a similar thing--the party went on until 4AM. I could hear them all the way up the street, and it was mostly the host's annoying, drunken voice. At one point, I heard someone say, right on our front lawn, (which is directly in front of where our bedroom is)," If you wanna party, then party with me!" People were parking on the edge of our lawn, starting their cars up, laughing loudly, walking up & down the street, etc. Well, someone must have called the police, as around 4AM, as I heard someone (I think they were standing by their car on our lawn, talking on their cell phone) say, "When the cops come, the party breaks up!"

At first, we thought it the host was the retired cop, and thought, "Shame on him! He should know better!", but I asked our neighbor about it, and she said it was the next house over. These folks also let their young boy walk their dog; he often lets the dog run by itself; in other words, I see the little dog running down the street, trailing his leash, running toward their house, but I don't see the kid.