reducing shedding

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a zoom groom that I use with Squeaky every night (trying to reduce the flying cat fuzz when we pet her), and I'm seriously getting worried she's going to go bald in a few weeks! The brush fills up, I clean it out, and then there's more and more and more. It's never ending shedding! Granted, she actually seems to enjoy our zoom groom sessions, but I'm thinking she wouldn't like to be bald

A few questions:

*Is there one kind of higher quality food that reduces shedding better then others, or does it really vary by cat and there's no hope? We're transitioning her onto Solid Gold - she's at 3/4 SG, 1/4 Purina One - and the shedding hasn't lessened. When I did a quick search for "shedding," I noticed TOTW was often associated with less shedding.

*Do any of these anti shedding products work? There's shed-guard wipes and a variety of shampoos supposedly formulated to reduce shedding. There's also anti dietary supplements and general coat health supplements.

Many thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids reduce shedding ... Most supplements are just these in the form of fish and plant oils... the two foods are close to each other as solid gold for some reason does not believe in the same fat levels as other premiums ... chicken fat or poultry fat is a great source of omega 6 s

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will saw that since adding wet food--and the boys only get 1.5 ounces a day in addition to dry shedding has decreased by at least 50% if not more. We just switched dry foods, Nutro MAX to TOTW--they haven't even been on full strength TOTW for a week so we will see about the shedding with that as well.

Leslie

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My personal experience is that TOTW reduced the shedding dramatically. It may also be true for any grain-free food.

It does depend somewhat on the individual cat. I know I've seen a couple of posts about cats who did not do so well on TOTW.

I haven't tried any of the other products you listed. I did try to give Goldy vitamin supplements when she was pregnant, but she wouldn't eat the food when I added the vitamins.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two DSH's are on Nutro adult indoor wet and dry and don't shed too badly...but I do use a baby brush on them everyday, just because we all like it, and take the furminator to them once a week. I had the zoom groom, which they liked, but it was amazing how much more loose hair I got the first time I used the furminator.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I will saw that since adding wet food--and the boys only get 1.5 ounces a day in addition to dry shedding has decreased by at least 50% if not more. We just switched dry foods, Nutro MAX to TOTW--they haven't even been on full strength TOTW for a week so we will see about the shedding with that as well.

Leslie
you may see more as the TOTW has a lot less fatty acid s... here Mine who was on NC shedds more ... the one of SD shed s less

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the advice. I think when we get down to 1/4 bag of SG, I'll find some TOTW or Wellness Core, depending on our budget

A furminator is on my wishlist, but alas, with the economy in the tank, I think it will just have to stay on the list for awhile.

Anyone use the shampoos? We're planning on bathing her every few weeks to fight back allergens, so it would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is not a shampoo but it helps with allergens and shedding ... called something like allerx ... petsmart has it...

Bamboo makes a cheaper yet effective version... think the cat one was 20$

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats' shedding reduced dramatically after I switched to Wellness grain-free canned some years ago. They still shed (all cats will) but not nearly as much as before. My one cat who is on prescription food still sheds quite a bit.

Felixia loves to be groomed with the zoom groom so much that I actually did make a thinning spot on her back with it once, so now I just groom her with it once over thoroughly, then finish with a comb or slicker brush. I think rubbing again & again over the same areas is what made her lose hair - it hasn't happened again since then.