Hairball - Preventing tips

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have seen quite a few post about giving your cat Vaseline or hairball paste to prevent/resolve hairball issues. My question is: How often should you give your pet vaseline, and how much? Is there any side effects related to the treatment?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are varying opinions about the hairball gels, mostly that it is a petrolium product, and it blocks absorption of nutrients. I give melted butter once or twice a week, and now we eat limited amounts of hairball kibble.
I started this routine because my Pansy had a really bad hairball that was apparently stuck for a few weeks. After 36 years of having cats, I never had that experience before. Goes to show you cannlearn something new about anything.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I hear my cat hacking, a small teaspoon of canned pumpkin for a few days mixed in with his food usually does the trick. Not too much or they can get the runs. I'm not comfortable with feeding him petroleum jelly although I have done the butter thing in the past. Turned out much more messy than the canned pumpkin.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use butter since the only non petroleum gel has dissapeared ... Hairball foods usually have higher fiber and higher amounts of things like oat bran and veggies , they have worked for me in the past but the grain frees I use also seem to work( likely veggie matter)

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Hairball foods usually have higher fiber and higher amounts of things like oat bran and veggies , they have worked for me in the past but the grain frees I use also seem to work( likely veggie matter)
I agree. I think that's why canned pumpkin works well for me (high in fiber).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a hairball formula food on Sho in the past. I really didn't like how the ingredients read and it turned out to be a bit counter productive - it dried his fur out a bit and made him shed more.

I have some hairball gel I got from the vet around here somewhere, but since I rarely use it I haven't the slightest clue as to where it could be.

Your best bet is honestly a good quality food that is the right one for your cat(s) and regular grooming. This is why my two rarely get hairballs. Preventative care is better than treating after the fact.

Though, I've just added a medium/long hair (almost persian type coat) to my bunch. It's been many years since I had one so I'll have to wait and see if my routine works well with him, too.

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does most cats eat the pumpkin? I was going to try it with my cat gracie who has major hairballs *and an overeating problem when her food gets low..ugh..* and I am just so frustrated about cleaning up the vomit all the time. I've tried the jelly stuff from the vet she gets really angry at me when I would give it to her and she still had hairballs. I caught her starting to vomit the other day and ran to her and rubbed her throat and she stopped and then about an hour later she puked everywhere. I just don't know what to do with her anymore I love her to death but its just getting so old. I need something that will work, oh and I've tried hairball formula food and she wont eat it she is very picky.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I switched our cats over to mostly grain-free canned food, the hairballs have stopped. I don't know if it's the veggie matter sharky mentioned, or if it's because they shed less, or if it's the extra moisture in the food, but I'm pleased with the result! It was always a huge battle to get any of the hairball paste down, so I'm happy the canned food is working.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crbramel

Does most cats eat the pumpkin?
I mix it in well with wet food, which he gets twice daily and he has never turned his nose up at it. In fact, I had a foster here and did the same for her - she, too, ate everything like normal. I guess it would depend on your cat though. If mixing it in evenly doesn't work, you could always try to hide it inside the wet food instead as 1 teaspoon is a very small amount.