Pics of Intravenous drip at vet after Neutering operation

walkover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Couple of pics of a 1 year old female an a drip for anti inflammation medicine after an operation to fix her.

The procedure for the operation here is the cat has the actual operation that takes around 40 minutes
day 2 the drip for anti inflammation medicine
day 3 another drip, same
day 4 another drip, same
day 8 stitches and gause/cloth stint removed
day 20 can stop using special cat food

You can see the cloth stint in this pic

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a flank spay.
I have seen it done before.
How come she had the drip so long.
Mine always come home the same day or the next day.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crikey, that seems rather excessive. I have had loads of females spayed and not needed any drips or special food. Not sure it even takes 40 mins, I know it is 10 for a boy.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My little girl came home the next day and she was ready. As soon as I walked into the reception area I could hear her in the back, I couldn't get there soon enough to suit her. My boy came home the same day. My girl went back ten days later to get stitches out and she was done. My boy didn't have to go back.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a bit surprised by this as well. Our cats always came home the same day as the operation, no drips, no special food.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow...seems like there's an awful lot more than normal.

Was this a routine neuter or was their complications?

I never had any of this when I neutered my RIP Gysmo... he stayed at the clinic for a few hours and came home... no special instructions aside from he might be nauseous from the anesthetic, and he had to where a cone till the stiches dissolved. No special diet or extended iv usuage.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm a bit surprised by this as well. Our cats always came home the same day as the operation, no drips, no special food.
same here. all 4 girls - same day, dissolving stitches - vet called the next day to check on them, they were each acting like nothing had happened.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo came home the same day also and she would have been here 10 ays after if the weather had not been to cold.
My brothers car Shadow was very sick a few years ago because there was a dead kitten in her.
She was spayed and had a infection.
She still came home the same day.
She did not even have special food.
I dont get it.
I have seen alot of spays and none took 40 minutes on cats.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Zoey in and out in the same day. I always have the vet use ISO and they don't come home all groggy from that. I am a very nervous mom and the vet did want to keep her over night. I didn't like the idea of keeping her over night with a bunch of dogs barking in the clinic. Nobody is at his office at night so I would be able to watch her more carefully than them!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet likes to keep them over night. Lucky was done in a few minutes. dissolving stitches, a tiny little incision. The only extra she got was an antibiotic shot. She had an abcess on one of her ovaries.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the vets here like to keep females overnight, but not on IV. Males usually come home same day - though one I just brought home yesterday had to stay overnight. We had wanted to hold off until the wound on his face healed a bit but the vet thought he was healthy enough to go through with the neuter while they had him under stitching his face up - he was and it's all done.

Was there something else going on with the cat to need so much aftercare? The only instructions I've ever had concerning food is to not let the cat eat a big meal if they're still recovering from the anesthesia a bit.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by walkover

Couple of pics of a 1 year old female on a drip for anti inflammation medicine after an operation to fix her.

The procedure for the operation here is the cat has the actual operation that takes around 40 minutes
day 2 the drip for anti inflammation medicine
day 3 another drip, same
day 4 another drip, same
(my emphasis)

What is the anti-inflammatory that's being used here? Where is this Vet practice located?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walkover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow....

Never realized that this method of getting a female cat spayed was that unusual. Don't know about spaying in the US or other western countries so can't make a comparison.

No idea why it was this involved. There were no complications, it is just routine standard practice. Possibly an attempt to make more profit but I'm trying to avoid the cynical point of view.