TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats Are So Weird
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cats Are So Weird

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just came back from Minnesota, where I went for Christmas. I left Larry for two weeks. It was the longest he's been alone. A neighbor came in to feed him and scoop the poop, but I knew she'd never see him. He bolts to the closet whenever anyone else comes in.

But she said he ate. The food was always gone. i just missed him so much!

So, when I came home today, at about noon, I started talking and saying his name as soon as I walked in. I knew he was in the closet. I went into the bathroom to check on the litterbox, and he slinked out of the closet. You know.....that low to the ground slinking around that they do. He meowed at me, looking over his shoulder, then slinked around and eventually went back into the closet.

I left him alone, but every once in awhile I would talk and say his name. Once, he stuck his head out of the closet, but that was it.

5:00 came, I walked into the kitchen to get something out of the fridge and turned around and there he sat. He started rubbing up against me, flopped on the floor, wanted his belly rubbed, and wouldn't stop purring. It was like he suddenly realized, "Hey! I know you! You're back! Give me some lovin'!"

He wanted to be petted, brushed, held......it was so cool. I kept picking him up, and his purring was so loud, and he kept butting his head under my chin.

I think he missed me.
post #2 of 16
Awww, how sweet. Bet Larry is a happy boy today.
post #3 of 16
So cute! I left my little one at my parent's house for a week when she was only 5 months old (1 month after meeting me). I came home and went to their house to get my kids and of course my dog was like "MOMMY!" and all excited. I walked over to where Maggie was (sitting alone on the couch) and started my hello's but the whole time she just looked at me sort of scared/unsure. I went over and gently sat on the couch next to her and as soon as I did it was like "OMG it's MOM!" and she immediately crawled onto my lap and went into the sweetest little purring "hug me" fit. I'll never forget the expression change on her face from "Who the heck" to "IT'S MOM!". I think she had to get a sniff of my scent before it sank in. It was completely priceless!
post #4 of 16
How sweet!! He must've missed you! I wonder how much of his time was spent in that closet. (I have a closet lover, too.)

I remember one time when we took a 2-week trip. I had a girl I work with come and house/pet sit. She was here when we got home. My hidey-cat came out when she heard my voice and was rubbing on me, winding around my feet, purring, chirping, and telling me how much she hated being left behind. The girl that was taking care of them said that's the most she'd seen my girl out!
post #5 of 16
My two girls that passed away a couple of years ago had a sitter once while we were gone for 12 days. She lay on the floor with the girls while they ate and spent a lot of quality time. I thought they would be glad to have mommy home but they only wanted the sitter They ignored me and went to her for cuddle time, when she went home they actually sulked under the bed for 2 days Boy were my feelings hurt
post #6 of 16
He was mad at you for leaving him, and was pouting till you earned his forgiveness.

After I came home from having back surgery, Maverick slinked around and gave me "the look" for several hours. Once he forgave me, he wouldn't leave my side, and followed me around everywhere for about two weeks.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yup. Larry has not left me alone since he forgave me. He keeps staring at me and rolling over and wanting to be picked up. I love that he's so cuddly, but he's making sure I don't leave him for awhile.

And he's definitely a "closet" cat. I'm sure my poor neighbor would never have had the time to try to get him to come out. He won't be out in the open for anyone but me. But I'm working on it. One of my New Year's resolutions is to have more people over, so he gets used to the voices of other people. Ha! Like that'll work.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanner View Post
Yup. Larry has not left me alone since he forgave me. He keeps staring at me and rolling over and wanting to be picked up. I love that he's so cuddly, but he's making sure I don't leave him for awhile.
I didn't mind Maverick following me around everywhere after I got back home from having the surgery b/c I missed him so much too, but it was a bit of an annoyance when I had to use the bathroom - especially b/c I wasn't in very good shape from having surgery, and he kept getting underneath my feet!

But I sure didn't mind him cuddling underneath the covers with me!


Quote:
And he's definitely a "closet" cat. I'm sure my poor neighbor would never have had the time to try to get him to come out. He won't be out in the open for anyone but me. But I'm working on it. One of my New Year's resolutions is to have more people over, so he gets used to the voices of other people. Ha! Like that'll work.
I wouldn't count on it. Maverick's a "closet" cat too, and almost always hides in it as soon as someone knocks on the door! Only now, at the ripe old age of 14, is he finally getting to the point where he figures it's HIS house, and no one's gonna chase him away!

He does make a good guard kitty though. Whenever someone comes to the door, he growls like a dog to "warn" me. If only he would "sic" 'em, too.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKatt View Post
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"]I didn't mind Maverick following me around everywhere after I got back home from having the surgery b/c I missed him so much too, but it was a bit of an annoyance when I had to use the bathroom - especially b/c I wasn't in very good shape from having surgery, and he kept getting underneath my feet!
No, I don't mind him following me around either, and I love that he wants to cuddle, but he also really likes running into the bathroom if he hears me in there. What the heck is up with that?! Why are cats so fascinated with the bathroom? Could definitely be dangerous, though, after surgery!


Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKatt View Post


He does make a good guard kitty though. Whenever someone comes to the door, he growls like a dog to "warn" me. If only he would "sic" 'em, too.
That's pretty funny!
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanner View Post
No, I don't mind him following me around either, and I love that he wants to cuddle, but he also really likes running into the bathroom if he hears me in there. What the heck is up with that?! Why are cats so fascinated with the bathroom? Could definitely be dangerous, though, after surgery!
I have no idea why they insist on following us in there. I've been trying to figure that out for over forty years now. Every one of them will follow me in there - especially Maverick, Geronimo, Jinxy, & Winchester - and Geronimo & Jinxy always want to sit on my lap. I love having lap kitties, but NOT when I'm sitting on the toilet! I guess maybe they think we're gonna get sucked down into the sewer or something..

It really cracks me up when I open the door after taking a shower or using the toilet, and they're all sitting there waiting..
post #11 of 16
During Father's last two years, he had several episodes in which he had to spend a few weeks in a nursing home/rehabilitation center. During those times, Zane alternated between being Velcro Kitty (afraid that I'd disappear, too), and not wanting anything to do with me because I wasn't HIS human. After Father died, Zane would wander through the house yowling incessantly for His Special Person. It has been a year and a half, and he's pretty much adjusted to being my cat, but sometimes he gets on yowling jags. (Zane was alone with Father's body for a few hours; I'm not sure if he was traumatized by trying to get him up and not getting a response.)
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKatt View Post
I have no idea why they insist on following us in there. I've been trying to figure that out for over forty years now.
well, this is why mine follow me - i'm sitting down. Chip comes & rubs my legs - Cable wants me to play mousie thru my pant legs for her to bit - Firefox jumps up on the tub rim for chin scritches - Pixel just 'checks' on me - & Java wants a chance to tightrope walk on the towel bars.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
well, this is why mine follow me - i'm sitting down. Chip comes & rubs my legs - Cable wants me to play mousie thru my pant legs for her to bit - Firefox jumps up on the tub rim for chin scritches - Pixel just 'checks' on me - & Java wants a chance to tightrope walk on the towel bars.
At last! The mysteries of the cat universe solved!

I think the reason they follow us in there is b/c they're worried one of the others might get attention..
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal View Post
During Father's last two years, he had several episodes in which he had to spend a few weeks in a nursing home/rehabilitation center. During those times, Zane alternated between being Velcro Kitty (afraid that I'd disappear, too), and not wanting anything to do with me because I wasn't HIS human. After Father died, Zane would wander through the house yowling incessantly for His Special Person. It has been a year and a half, and he's pretty much adjusted to being my cat, but sometimes he gets on yowling jags. (Zane was alone with Father's body for a few hours; I'm not sure if he was traumatized by trying to get him up and not getting a response.)
Velcro kitty! I love it!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, though. I'll bet poor Zane was traumatized by that.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm so sorry about your dad, and Zane must have been very attached to him. Cats really feel things, don't they.

This bathroom thing. It's so funny. The minute Larry hears the toilet seat cover go up, (I keep it down so he doesn't get it into his little head to drink out of there), he comes running in.....really running in..... to the bathroom, and then he'll rub on my legs, and flop down for some tummy rubs. It's so weird! And then, the minute I put the seat down and flush, he runs out. Always makes me laugh. It's a real ritual we have.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKatt View Post
Velcro kitty! I love it!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, though. I'll bet poor Zane was traumatized by that.
Saturday Night, Father said he wasn't feeling well and didn't want to go to church, and I was to let him sleep in. I did. I came back at about quarter of one; I called out, heard nothing, then went into the bedroom. He looked like he was asleep. I said something like, "You lazy bum! It's almost one pm!" Then I realized.

It will be two years next month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats Are So Weird