Sigh… cat haters

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a rant. I tried ranting to my boyfriend but he said I was mean picking on a 16 year old lol. I went to a family dinner at my boyfriend parent’s house for boxing day and started talking to his little cousin. I started talking about my babies starting with Bruno (dog ) first and she laughed at me for loving him so much saying she was afraid of dogs and stayed away from them…. Fine… I don’t really care.

I then told her I had three cats. She immediately started telling me how much she HATED (hated?!) cats. How she is terrified of them because they have claws, how all cats attacked and hurt people. I guess my boyfriend saw my face and gave me a nudge with his foot (I can be a real loudmouth sometimes when I should be quiet). I told her if she met my cats she would change her mind and she started saying there’s no way, she hates cats and started making a kicking motion with her foot…. Are you for real? Kick my cats? Are you insane!?! Lol.

Anyway, 16 years old or not, that irritated me. I asked if she’s ever been around cats and she said no… I hate when people make up their minds over something they have never experienced, especially if its towards a living thing.

Rant over LOL

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eh...lots of 16 yo's hate the world, and say stupid things. I wouldn't get irritated if I were you. I also wouldn't invite her into my house if I were you!

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How can a teenager not like cats? I mean has she seen a kitten? THEY ARE THE CUTEST THINGS IN THE WORLD! Someone needs to go do some volunteer work at the local shelter.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why, oh why, is that poor child so FEARFUL
Not to mention IGNORANT

Good for you for speaking up - such prejudices must not go unchallenged

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are sooo many people here who hate cats, as they are used to them as "barn cats". Meaning not fixed, no vet care, fleas....most of them are feral/semi-feral. Lots of people get "dump off" kitties on their farms - the ones who were obviously housecats & bolt in the door (so of course, one has to kick them to get them to stop).
I educate when I can, gently. I've gotten quite a few "lonely farmers" who have lost their wives but still have the farm to come to the humane society to look at dogs
& walk them through the cat room....some of them even take home a housecat!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

Just a rant. I tried ranting to my boyfriend but he said I was mean picking on a 16 year old lol. I went to a family dinner at my boyfriend parentâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s house for boxing day and started talking to his little cousin. I started talking about my babies starting with Bruno (dog ) first and she laughed at me for loving him so much saying she was afraid of dogs and stayed away from them…. Fine… I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really care.

I then told her I had three cats. She immediately started telling me how much she HATED (hated?!) cats. How she is terrified of them because they have claws, how all cats attacked and hurt people. I guess my boyfriend saw my face and gave me a nudge with his foot (I can be a real loudmouth sometimes when I should be quiet). I told her if she met my cats she would change her mind and she started saying thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s no way, she hates cats and started making a kicking motion with her foot…. Are you for real? Kick my cats? Are you insane!?! Lol.

Anyway, 16 years old or not, that irritated me. I asked if sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ever been around cats and she said no… I hate when people make up their minds over something they have never experienced, especially if its towards a living thing.

Rant over LOL
What a little brat! I guess it's hard for me to understand because I have always loved cats. When I was really little I felt guilty because I loved them more than dogs.

Fear is another story. I almost feel sorry for her about that, but when I read the part about her insinuating she would kick them, I would be tempted to kick her.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always had cats growing up, and always loved them. I just couldn't imagine thinking that way. I definitely wouldn't invite the brat to my house though! Anyone ever kicks my babies, will get much worse than a kick themselves.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

started making a kicking motion with her foot….
That would have made me see red
My first reaction if she said that to me would have been "And if you ever went to kick my cats i'd knock you into next week!!"

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you defended your kitties! But it's true that teenagers cannot be held responsible for what they say -- their age handicaps them so!
I spent three hours with a 15-year-old girl a few weeks ago, and it was like visiting another planet... a very, very dense planet...

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hah i'm a bit of a loud mouth as well and I would have went on about how I HATE teens and how their so loud and mouthy (kidding like)

as if she hates cats :|

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That would have made me see red
My first reaction if she said that to me would have been "And if you ever went to kick my cats i'd knock you into next week!!"
Gosh, yeah that!! And not just my cats (not that I have any now..) but ANY cat, or dog, or animal.

Heck, my mother said she'd throw boiling water at any stray cat if she catches it wandering into our garden. I told her straight off I'd report her for animal abuse, mother or no. She decided to put up very fine meshing instead and poof! no more strays disturbing her.

Teens are an angsty bunch, but I think people of all ages can harbour intense dislike for animals they have never lived with before because they haven't had an opportunity to dispel their wrong perceptions about them. But that's not saying I wouldn't be sorely tempted to give that person a good ticking off! If you don't like them, stay away.. there's no need to threaten physical hurt.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hahaha, sorry I don't mean to laugh but my grandma is DEATHLY afraid of cats & I think it's the funniest thing! She says they're sneaky which they are but that's one characteristic that makes them so unique...not everyone's a cat lover although they should be!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yourbriness763

hahaha, sorry I don't mean to laugh but my grandma is DEATHLY afraid of cats & I think it's the funniest thing! She says they're sneaky which they are but that's one characteristic that makes them so unique...not everyone's a cat lover although they should be!!!
My cats are hardly sneaky... they're actually a bit more on the bumbling side and tend to make noise or fall off something.

Being that the girl is 16, I think she was just trying to get attention. You should have simply told her to grow up.