bully sitcks for cats???

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
last night i brought my dog home a bully stick. if you're not sure what a bully stick is....well it's basically dried bull penis and tendons that are made into a long stick that dogs can chew. they are highly digestible. well, marley went nuts over the dang thing. he wouldn't leave baron alone the whole time he had it. he even tried to chew the other end...baron didn't like that so much
i tried everything i could think of to get him to forget about the sitck but it didn't work...he got treats, we played, i even tried some of his cat nip spray and he could care less. he eventually went over to baron and sat right in his face while he chewed the stick. would it be totally stupid of me to buy a smaller one, about 4 inches long and about 1 inch thick, just to give to marley when baron has his? he would be supervised the whole time and they would only get it for a certain amount of time, then it goes up for later. i really don't think marley would get much from it except the chewing factor. what do you think. and if i shouldn't try this is there something i can give him to chew on? he is always trying to chew on baron's bones. for christmas i bought a smoked femer bone and marley loved that as well!! he is a strange little man...but thats what makes him so special. does anybody else's cats do this??

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine have sampled bully sticks, and if I gave them to them, yes, they would try to eat them. They also managed to chew on basted rawhide. But with 3 large dogs in the house, the cats have no chance at them anymore. The dogs are not allowed to touch the cat toys and treats, so I have to honor the reverse, and not let the cats nibble on the dog treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do that also with my two, they don't eat or play with eachothers treats or toys. marley was not happy with me at all last night when i was getting him away from the bully stick!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe

I do that also with my two, they don't eat or play with eachothers treats or toys. marley was not happy with me at all last night when i was getting him away from the bully stick!!
With 3 large dogs, the only way to protect the cats from them is to deny them that pleasure. Mine get really attached to their chew treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya, baron never growled or even barked at marley but i knew he was irritated by the cat chasing him every time he moved to get away. eventually i put baron in the bedroom, which was fine for a while, then when i went to check, marley had got the door open becuase it doesn't shut very well, and he was just sitting there watching.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My question is will it hurt the cat to chew on this bully stick and would it be good for their teeth? I have two cats that are always looking for something to chew on. Would a bully stick work for them or would it be harmful?