Kizzy's 3wk update: some questions

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it does have health related questions. I bolded the questions and titles in case you don't feel like reading through my rambling or just wanted to read on a particular ailment.

I've had Kizzy for 3wks today
He came to me with a URI and Ringworm, and slightly underweight. He was being fed a crap adult food. He was 4.5mo old when I got him.

URI

He was treated with antibiotics for the URI, a 14day course. He's done those and no more wheezing. He still sneezes from time to time, but I think its when he plays with a feathery toy

Ringworm
He is still being treated for Ringworm. There was a couple days that I was unable to treat him, over xmas holidays and such... he should have been done treatment by now but isn't.

Question: How does ringworm go away? Like what are the stages?

Clarification: I got ringworm... I started putting the cream on and the lesions started "drying' up,(hard to describe the 'drying up' and changing from red to lighter and lighter....

How does it progress on kitties?

Kizzy's ringworm started out as dry, flaky, scaley looking skin on his tail with some missing hair. Since beginning treatment it has lost the scaley looking skin, and was just red or dark pink.....now it is becoming like my lesion did 'drying up' and still dark pink. His fur is starting to grow back... thinly in the affected areas.

Does anyone have pics of how ringworm progresses on kitties? Or know where I could find some? I never thought to try to take pics as treatment progressed, till just now. I'll try to take some pics though... I did take a couple when I first got him home (they didn't turn out too well,
but its something to compare to)

Weight and Food

I haven't had him weighed since our vet appt. He weighed 4.2lbs then. He feels heavier, and looks so much better now. His coat is nice and glossy.

I finally decided which foods I will be feeding him
Thanks to Sharky for all of the input on my food posts. He was being fed Whiskas adult food, when I got him, I bought a small bag of that and a small bag of a better brand... mixed em 50/50. Then 75/25. He still has some of that left, and I've added TOTW...for now he gets 50% TOTW and 50% the other mix. Once the other mix gets low, I'll increase TOTW. Once I'm done transitioning he will be on a diet of TOTW/Chicken Soup/Whiskas... the Whiskas will be a very minor part in feeding, more like a treat... 90-95% TOTW & CS, 5-10% Whiskas. Plus he's being fed a holistic canned food.

Our follow up vet appt is next week, and we'll see about getting his shots, and getting him neutered in a month or so. We haven't gotten the shots yet because he's been ill.

Thanks for reading my novel. Any input on the ringworm progression would be appreciated

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had Kizzy for 3wks today
He came to me with a URI and Ringworm, and slightly underweight. He was being fed a crap adult food. He was 4.5mo old when I got him.
Yeye!! Congrats!! I bet he is one happy kitty now!

He was treated with antibiotics for the URI, a 14day course. He's done those and no more wheezing. He still sneezes from time to time, but I think its when he plays with a feathery toy
I didn't know that URIs were related to sneezing??
I am glad he is all better.... the sneezing might be allergies...

Kizzy's ringworm started out as dry, flaky, scaley looking skin on his tail with some missing hair. Since beginning treatment it has lost the scaley looking skin, and was just red or dark pink.....now it is becoming like my lesion did 'drying up' and still dark pink. His fur is starting to grow back... thinly in the affected areas.
for what I have researched, this is the sign that the ringworm is cured... However I have also read that you should keep treating for a couple/few weeks from this point, so I would ask the vet when to stop

I finally decided which foods I will be feeding him
Thanks to Sharky for all of the input on my food posts. He was being fed Whiskas adult food, when I got him, I bought a small bag of that and a small bag of a better brand... mixed em 50/50. Then 75/25. He still has some of that left, and I've added TOTW...for now he gets 50% TOTW and 50% the other mix. Once the other mix gets low, I'll increase TOTW. Once I'm done transitioning he will be on a diet of TOTW/Chicken Soup/Whiskas... the Whiskas will be a very minor part in feeding, more like a treat... 90-95% TOTW & CS, 5-10% Whiskas. Plus he's being fed a holistic canned food.
Girl.... this part made me dizzy! Glad you found a food that works though.... Lucky loves junk food - It has been hard to find something nutritious that she will really enjoy it...

Our follow up vet appt is next week, and we'll see about getting his shots, and getting him neutered in a month or so. We haven't gotten the shots yet because he's been ill.
Good Luck ad keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

for what I have researched, this is the sign that the ringworm is cured... However I have also read that you should keep treating for a couple/few weeks from this point, so I would ask the vet when to stop
Thanks

His followup appt is next week, I will see what they say then... maybe they'll give me more ointment.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post in your earlier thread.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=3
I understand that. When treating myself, it takes 2wks....the vet prescribed 2wks of the the ointment.... So I am "assuming" here, that the vet thought it should be gone in a week or so, and continuing treatment for an additional week. I am also guessing when I take him back in, that they will give me more ointment, as he still has signs of it.

Can anyone tell me how ringworm progresses on kitties? Any pics? I have googled, and have not been able to find any pictorials on the healing of ringworm.... can find the description of ringworm, but not how it looks like when it heals.

Thanks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I understand that. When treating myself, it takes 2wks....the vet prescribed 2wks of the the ointment.... So I am "assuming" here, that the vet thought it should be gone in a week or so, and continuing treatment for an additional week. I am also guessing when I take him back in, that they will give me more ointment, as he still has signs of it.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I thought you meant that humans would only likely get it if they had a compromised immune system and you said you folks didn't fall into that category. At my age I find I can get confused rather easily.

As for info in ringworm, fortunately I've never had to deal with it so haven't any life experiences to share in that regard.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
found some info for you
Treatment must continue until the culture results are negative, even though the animal may look better. Hair re-grows long before the fungus is exterminated. In a single-cat household, treatment can last 3 to 8 weeks and may be needed for longer periods in a multi-pet household.
and
[font=verdana,arial][font=verdana,arial]Treatment will not produce immediate results; in fact, the areas of hair loss may get larger before they begin to get smaller. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair loss should stop, there should be no new areas of hair loss, and the crusty appearance of the skin should diminish. If any of these do not occur within two weeks, your vet should see your cat again.[/font][/font]
but the only pix i could find showed beginning, not healing ringworm lesions...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I thought you meant that humans would only likely get it if they had a compromised immune system and you said you folks didn't fall into that category. At my age I find I can get confused rather easily.

As for info in ringworm, fortunately I've never had to deal with it so haven't any life experiences to share in that regard.
Which unfortunately I did catch a virus and ended up with 2 lesions

I was fine for about 10 days...and I checked EVERY day because I was paranoid. I caught a virus, was ill for a couple days and boom, 2 lesions out of nowhere
Unfortunately, when I get sick, I get pretty sick... I don't sleep well on a good day, insomnia and chronic pain, and my body cannot fight off things as easily as it once could. I was not surprised to have caught the ringworm when I got sick.

Noone else in my house has caught it including my husband who gave me the darn virus.

I never said a healthy person wouldn't get it... everything I read said that persons with comprimised immune systems, elderly or infants are more likely and will catch it easier than someone who doesn't have a comprimised immune system.

I will continue to look for pics.... I just want to make sure it is actually going away on Kizzy. I can easily see it going away on me....but its not as apparant on him. I had the good ol circle red patch, which faded and shrunk as I put the cream on it, its almost gone now, just slightly pink.... hard to see where it was to continue to put the cream on me.

On Kizzy its not as obvious... so I don't know if it's doing what its supposed to do when it heals or ????? The vet will take another fungal sample, but that takes 7-14days to come back with results.

I'm just tired and want this over with.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky's ringworm is getting better on its own - I am monitoring with an UV lamp... I never got it, and she has been sleeping with me for the last 2 months...

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Lucky's ringworm is getting better on its own - I am monitoring with an UV lamp... I never got it, and she has been sleeping with me for the last 2 months...
Carolina, are you still using any ointment on Lucky?

Tofu's is seemingly gone and my dog's fungal culture results came back -- negative for ringworm. Tofu's basically got better on its own.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

Tofu's is seemingly gone and my dog's fungal culture results came back -- negative for ringworm. Tofu's basically got better on its own.
That is awesome news

I really don't know what I'm going to do.... see what the vet says, the cream I have is not pricey, so if he thinks a couple more weeks and it will be gone, I will try that.

I'm also going to look for the UV light.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laureen.... sorry I didn't see your post, must have posted while I was responding.

Treatment will not produce immediate results; in fact, the areas of hair loss may get larger before they begin to get smaller. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair loss should stop, there should be no new areas of hair loss, and the crusty appearance of the skin should diminish. If any of these do not occur within two weeks, your vet should see your cat again.
this helps...they did indeed get bigger...and no more hair loss...crusties are gone, but still red/pink and some slightly dry looking skin.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

Nope - the ointment the vet gave me did more harm than good, as her skin is very sensitive... The only thing I am using on her is Bactine, just to keep it clean... It's definitely getting better... I ordered some colloidal silver to use it just in case - it's coming in the mail soon. I am glad Tofu got better!!! When we research we get sooooo scared... Paranoid almost - like as though this was cancer, or something... Decided to not worry that much about it anymore... I did got myself some lamysil just in case i got infected, but never did

It seems like the three of us will be all good soon! yoo-hoo!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Nope - the ointment the vet gave me did more harm than good, as her skin is very sensitive... The only thing I am using on her is Bactine, just to keep it clean... It's definitely getting better... I ordered some colloidal silver to use it just in case - it's coming in the mail soon. I am glad Tofu got better!!! When we research we get sooooo scared... Paranoid almost - like as though this was cancer, or something... Decided to not worry that much about it anymore... I did got myself some lamysil just in case i got infected, but never did

It seems like the three of us will be all good soon! yoo-hoo!
I've been told that Bactine is used for burns not fungi. You might want to check with a vet before using any over-the-counter human medications on your cat.