"Doc, the reason my rehab isn't going well..."

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"...is because my kitty won't let me do it."

I'm just about to finish up 3 months of rehabing my knee on-site after ACL surgery. I thought it would be a good idea to get a nice piece of low-impact exercise equipment to use during the winter months instead of heading out to a gym.

I had an elliptical in the past, and there were moments where I had to stop the thing on a dime (not easy to do), because a curious kitty would come waltz by, and I'd be afraid of bonking him in the noggin. So, that was out.

A bike seemed the best bet, so I got a recumbant model, so my feet (and any potential trouble) would be right out front, in plain view. Seemed great for a few days, but now Sasha has found that she can make dad stop and start at her whim by slinking in and out of view, sitting right next to the spinning pedals for a second, and then getting up and walking right in the path of my feet. You can tell she knows it too, with the look I get from her; and nothing dissuades her from doing it. I give her a little push to go the other way, she gives me a trilly "Mrrow!" in protest. She lays down on her back on the floor next to me, watching me for a few seconds, arms curled up in the puppy position, and then she gets up and starts the cycle all over again. Great.

So, in addition to never being able to read anything again, (as most/all of you can attest, I'm sure), I'll soon likely be discouraged from getting fit again as well. Next time we talk, I shall be obese and illiterate, but my kitties, they'll be as spoiled as ever.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

So, in addition to never being able to read anything again, (as most/all of you can attest, I'm sure), I'll soon likely be discouraged from getting fit again as well. Next time we talk, I shall be obese and illiterate, but my kitties, they'll be as spoiled as ever.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do make life harder!!
I had an exercise bike at one point, even used it a few times. Until Wiggies came wandering underneath one day and I couldn't stop in time. Poor guy got whacked with the pedal.
After that we had to lock up the cats before trying to exercise.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I never thought about the possibility of kitty collision with a piece of exercise equipment
I've been wanting to get an elliptical too!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

They do make life harder!!
I had an exercise bike at one point, even used it a few times. Until Wiggies came wandering underneath one day and I couldn't stop in time. Poor guy got whacked with the pedal.
After that we had to lock up the cats before trying to exercise.
Wouldn't that teach Wiggies to stay out of the way? Or is that expecting too much of the feline equivalent of a brain?

When I start pounding the heavy bag or the speedbag or the BOB, Zane vanishes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Wouldn't that teach Wiggies to stay out of the way? Or is that expecting too much of the feline equivalent of a brain?

When I start pounding the heavy bag or the speedbag or the BOB, Zane vanishes.
maybe, but would you want to take the chance of possibly hurting your cat? I know that I would rather be safe than sorry.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't dare get exercise equipment, but mine have allowed me to do some Leslie Sansone DVD's (walk away the pounds, which I surely need to do). However, every single time we get to the stretch, Dharma insists on coming by ask for some petting - should I not pet, she meows loudly and tries to push me over.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally had to move my exercise bike into a room where I could shut out the cats or it never got used.

And just for the record, this is what became of our Nordic Trak - a cat bed for Pinky:

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I finally had to move my exercise bike into a room where I could shut out the cats or it never got used.

And just for the record, this is what became of our Nordic Trak - a cat bed for Pinky:
It looks like you could get enough exercise just carrying him around.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

It looks like you could get enough exercise just carrying him around.
He's actually only 15 pounds in that picture. He has a double layer of fur and just looks huge. I guess the Nordic Trak worked, as he's down to a svelt 14 pounds now!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like you have plenty of considerations, but I don't think cats should get in the way of getting some exercise... How about locking them out of the room where all the exercise equipment is, at least just for the 20 mins or so that you are exercising? Turn up the music so you can't hear their frantic wails if they are the complaining type

Oh and when you're cycling along, you can do some reading too!