world's first spayed cat gets pregnant

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't figure it out. Tinker is definitely pregnant. I knew the minute I saw her yesterday. But I kept thinking maybe not. afterall, the foster lady didn't mention it. Then again, tinker has come home with most of the hair missing on his right ear and a big sore under his chin. Plus he's lost a lot of weight. so i think they were pretty much ignored.

anyway, I felt the babies moving tonight. she's not got nearly as many babies as Madonna did. i figure 3 or 4 tops. But I was looking at her nipples. they seem to be chaffing. like they're sort of scabbing up. but not bad.

What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well let's put it this way. i PAID for her to be spayed. when she came back her tummy was bald etc.

lol maybe they forgot? Whatever the case, she's now pregnant......with her brother being the father. it's a bad deal all the way around. i got her spayed first thinking it was best.

he's neutered now though, so that won't happen again. but even after being spayed Tink went into heat. i suspected it then

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her booked in to be checked asap, especially as your other cat has suspected ringworm, it could cause major issues for her.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I would get her booked in to be checked asap,
And have her checked by the vet that did the "spay". I'm sure they will be surprised also that one of their spay patients is now pregnant. They should be held accountable to some degree - first round of vaccinations, help with placing them into homes, and all medical costs for them and their mother.

I've heard of mix ups at the vet before, and am sorry to hear that you are the recipient of one of those mix ups!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a spayed, vaccinated cat from a rescue that got pregnant as well
It was a very puzzling thing at first. The rescue paid to have her spayed as well as shots for the kittens.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This also happened to Dixie Darlin". Found out the vet had taken off to parts unknown...

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

And have her checked by the vet that did the "spay". I'm sure they will be surprised also that one of their spay patients is now pregnant. They should be held accountable to some degree - first round of vaccinations, help with placing them into homes, and all medical costs for them and their mother.
I agree

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Find that vet - go after the vet - get the money back - get him fired - whatever.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely get her checked out right away. And not by the guy that 'spayed' her - he's either incompetent or a criminal. In either case I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything. I would be most concerned with the possibility that he was incompetent and only removed part of her sex organs. If so, you need to find out ASAP if she's healthy enough to carry kittens to term and give birth.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to another vet and file a complaint.
I heard of it happening before.
You need to find out what that other vet did.
I would make them pay for everything.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

Definitely get her checked out right away. And not by the guy that 'spayed' her - he's either incompetent or a criminal. In either case I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything. I would be most concerned with the possibility that he was incompetent and only removed part of her sex organs. If so, you need to find out ASAP if she's healthy enough to carry kittens to term and give birth.
Yes, the word "ectopic" jumped to the front of my mind!

However, if the babies are moving, I'd bet everything is normal.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ectopic is, in my opinion, a major dangerous situation. I had one and I am sure the anatomy works paralell for animals. If this ruptures, you could loose her life before you figure out what happened. A ruptured ectopic is an emergency surgery.

Please, get her to a vet and work out the costs. I rescue and sometimes aborting kittens is for the health of the mom cat. Her age plays a part and the fact that there are more complications from the father being a sibling. No need to risk her life or for kittens to suffer after birth. Don't wait to see how it goes. Each day that passes makes the complications greater for her and any kittens that might make it.

No way you can assume what is going on with her without a vet.

Maybe the vet will let you do extra work at their clinic to pay for the bill.

I am so sorry for all you have been through. Now that you finally have your babies back, please don't let this wait. I wish you the best in getting them both healthy again.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused you refer to Tinker as a male and a female in your first post!? Or do you have two cats called Tinker.

Well our puppy went to a boarding kennel and came back pregnant.

I'd definitely be having a go at the vet. How unethical.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm confused you refer to Tinker as a male and a female in your first post!? Or do you have two cats called Tinker.

Well our puppy went to a boarding kennel and came back pregnant.

I'd definitely be having a go at the vet. How unethical.
I think it was a typo. Tinker is pregnant and Wilbur is not looking his best.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks! yeah that's it. Wilbur is a boy, Tinker is a girl

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - this stinks for all three of you! yes, I agree - go after the vet. Do you have the records of her being "spayed"? You know, proof? It was done in AZ, right? I bet she was prepped but nothing happened -- did she have an incision?

That is total malpractice ... you need to stand up for your baby girl. I know, you don't need any more problems, but boy....

We had a sitch here where a cat was surrendered to us, the person who surrendered insisted the cat was female... it was a young animal.... went to the vet got a check up...prepped for surgery ... the vet tech began the incision when the vet came in and said, hey... that's a male!!! I mean - he had the goodies!!! No one seemed to notice!! So he had a shaved belly, and the start of an incision and he got "nipped". Poor baby. He was ok... and got a nice home!

I have heard of this happening to women, too! how does that happen? I mean there is a surgical team there??!!! Anyway... wow... again... Maybe you can find a low-cost vet clinic there to get them checked out.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an apt tomorrow to get her looked at. So we'll see what happens. I don't know how i'm going to pay, but i have to take her so i'm going to just go.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Please give us an update tomorrow. I would be seriously angry! I mean there are already so many kittens in the world and you were trying to do the right thing by having her spayed.

I wouldn't pay a cent to have them check her out- so don't worry about that.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I have an apt tomorrow to get her looked at. So we'll see what happens. I don't know how i'm going to pay, but i have to take her so i'm going to just go.
There might be some financial assistance out there for you under your circumstances. I am not at home - chased from my house due to a power outage - and info that I have is bookmarked on the hard drive there. But there is an organization for one called UAN - United Animals Nation ... something like that.. and you can apply for assistance. The site has links to state orgs that can help too....