I don't need no opposable thumbs!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched Butzie hunt, stalk, play with and think about eating, one of her mousey toys, but of course I had a treat to give her instead of the toy. But as I was watching her, something came to mind about opposable thumbs so I just had to check out what is really important about an opposable thumb which is:

The opposable thumb has helped the human species develop more accurate fine motor skills. It is also thought to have directly led to the development of tools, not just in humans or their evolutionary ancestors, but other primates as well. The opposable thumb ensured that important human functions such as writing were possible. The thumb, in conjunction with the other fingers make humans and other species with similar hands some of the most dexterous in the world

Okay, when your kitty is cleaning herself politely, after she has just stalked, hunted and devoured her prey, do you think she cares about opposable thumbs?
Except the one you are using to open that cat food can?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My polydactyl kitty Midori has opposable thumbs. And she knows how to use them...

Plotting world takeover...

Cats rule!

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

My polydactyl kitty Midori has opposable thumbs. And she knows how to use them...
Harley's also polydactyl. And those little thumbs of hers make her awfully dextrous. And she knows it.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip5 to Harley and Midorai. When the humans are sleeping is a good time to get on the comp. We need to consolidate our plans. We know where the catnip is, with my brains and your extra toes we can get to it.

Ploting world take over.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forest is also a poly, but his motor skills aren't so hot so the opposable thumbs do him no good.

Tailer would LOVE to have them, though. He's figured out HOW to go about doing everything from opening doors to opening cans. If he just had the thumbs he wouldn't need us.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

Catnip5 to Harley and Midorai. When the humans are sleeping is a good time to get on the comp. We need to consolidate our plans. We know where the catnip is, with my brains and your extra toes we can get to it.

Ploting world take over.
I just had this mental picture of a bunch of cats recruiting my neighbor's dog to pull open my refrigerator so that they all could reach the bag of catnip that's in there.