My cats hate their food

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Keller and Macy Wellness Core dry and Wellness wet. They like the wet but they aren't thrilled with the dry. Zeus came from the breeder with a bag of Iams kitten food. I am slowly trying to switch him over to the Core as well. He will eat the Iams out of the bowl and leave the other kibble there
I have also caught the others in his room eating his Iams. Should I just give in and feed them all Iams? Is it all that bad? I can get them to eat the Wellness if I dribble tuna juice all over it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you may need to try what I call a step up program...

ie IMHO Iams is $$$ low quality ... maybe try purina naturals ( still lots of grain but no animal by products ) ... then try a one meat one grain or similiar food with less grain and no by products ... then the core again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may try that. The cats are just like my kids, they want the juml food too

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or you can try other varieties of dry, iams and wellness aren't the only two available. If it's not cost prohibitive you could feed all wet food given that your cats seem to do well on it.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just give them wet and leave some core in their dish to nibble on if they want it between their wet meals.

My 10 month old prefers wet and mostly eats that. He has a couple bites of dry a day and that's fine with me. I'm glad he doesn't scarf down the dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Approx. how much wet should I feed? I have 2 kittens and one soon to be spayed momma. Should I feed them 3 times a day or just continue the morning and night feedings?

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adult cat can eat about 5 oz per day. My kitten can eat about 8 oz.

With 1 adult and 2 kittens, I would think you'd probably be feeding about 3, 5oz cans per day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

Approx. how much wet should I feed? I have 2 kittens and one soon to be spayed momma. Should I feed them 3 times a day or just continue the morning and night feedings?
depends on age and wt

say mom is 10 lbs she if eating only wet should get 5-10 oz per day... young kittens can eat up to three times that older ( ie 6 plus months 2 time s a same size adult ....

I say if you can do it three times a day do it

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I raised my last litter of kittens on Iams Kitten from five months old. My last remaining kitten from that litter, Fluffy, has now turned her nose up at Iams Kitten and is eating Royal Canin Persian Cat like the rest of my big cats.