Anyone need a Siamese?

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who is looking to get rid of there 9 year old Siamese cat. They have recently brought in 2 new cats and the Siamese keeps trying to kill the youngest. She is otherwise very sweet and loving but has become somewhat skittish as of late(won't let anyone near her now). The replacement house should be somewhat quiet and small(apartments are fine) so if anyone in the Chicago land area is interested please contact me and I will put you in contact with my friend. The family lives in Naperville so please only people with in a reasonable distance notify me.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to bite my tongue here but they are trying to get "rid" of their original cat? How sad for the nine year old!
Can't the other one go back?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I may have to bite my tongue here but they are trying to get "rid" of their original cat? How sad for the nine year old!
I think it's disgusting that their going to do this
You take on an animal then you take it on for life. I'm sorry, but no sympathy here for them, only for their Siamese

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is terrible also.
You can not expect them to get along at first.
Meeko hated Coco when she met her.
Coco is 16.10 and Meeko is 8.5.
I feel bad for the siamese.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No 9 year old cat that hasn't lived with other cats will accept the newbies readily. Have they tried feliway? Did they do a proper introduction? How long has it been since they're introduced the new cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
perhaps Give them the INTRODUCTION materials found on this site ... I had a 16 yr old who took a yr to accept the youngster kitty I brought in the house

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

They have recently brought in 2 new cats and the Siamese keeps trying to kill the youngest. She is otherwise very sweet
It is really difficult to know for sure from this short description. There is apparently some sort of conflict. But cat-people knows there usually IS some conflict between newcomers and resident cat. People unused to cats get often panic stricken in these situations - sometimes even in cases where I can read the cats are apparently on good way to become pals.
Chances are big it is NOT trying of killing, but more probably a rough tryies to show who is oldest and in charge there....

So. Install Feliway diffuser. Borrow some books on cats in the library, and or read some appropriate Behaviour treads in our forum....

IF after all a new home is necessary, it is better and much easier to find home for the new one - also the youngest.
The choice shouldnt really be difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know why but they seem heart set on keeping the two youngest. There was about a year between the two new cats coming to the house. The oldest kitten, Raven, used to attack the 9 year old but everything seems fine between them now. The youngest kitten(can't remember the name) is smaller than Raven was but otherwise there identical so the 9 year old is trying to kill the young one before it starts attacking her. At least that's the rational I got from my friend. And it is death attempts, the older one had the younger one by the throat the other day and had they stayed like that for a few more seconds the young one would be dead.

These people have had multiple cats for as long as I know them and this is the first time they have had any problems. They have a 18 year old cat that doesn't mind the young ones though I'm not sure she know's there around...she pretty much stays confined to my friends room and the kittens aren't allowed in there.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why not let the 9 yr old room with the 18 yr old seeing as the kittens aren't allowed in there?

She is skittish because she is afraid and the way her owners reacted to the presumed attacks has made her more afraid and confused. Can't blame her there.

This behavior does not sound like death attempts. Could it be that they are misreading the situation? Was blood drawn? Were there bite marks, chunks of skin missing? Cats normally display dominance by grabbing the throat and pinning the cat to the ground.

Why not print the introduction material along with info on feliway for them. Older females are slower to accept newcomers. Introductions can be started again and slower. Then supervised visits and let them work out the alpha position.

I do not agree with getting rid of a resident cat at 9 years old.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I think it's disgusting that their going to do this
You take on an animal then you take it on for life. I'm sorry, but no sympathy here for them, only for their Siamese
This makes me so mad!
How can people get rid of a 9yr old cat, a member of the family for so many years, just like that??? People like this should NOT have animals - period. Shame on these people!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope they do find a home for the Siamese - a home where this cat will be treated properly. These people aren't fit to have an animal IMO.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I hope they do find a home for the Siamese - a home where this cat will be treated properly. These people aren't fit to have an animal IMO.

Ridiculous to rehome the cat they have had for NINE YEARS rather than a kitten they just got. I guess the new wore off and they just don't care about the Siamese anymore. Poor kitty will be better off elsewhere so I certainly hope they do rehome him.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is awful. Clearly "the new wore off" is exactly right. How very sad for the Siamese who thought she had a home for life.

At the very least, why can't the Siamese stay with the older cat? Give the poor girl the time she needs (and deserves) to become accustomed to the latest intruder.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

x2!!

That is so sad they would give up their 9 yr old instead of the younger two...

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree how horrible for the 9yr old to be uprooted from its home & forced into a new home, new surroundings & new owners. I would take the siamese in a heartbeat but unfortunately Corey (my boyfriend) is content with only 2 cats. And I'm right next door to Naperville...

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

This behavior does not sound like death attempts. Could it be that they are misreading the situation? Was blood drawn? Were there bite marks, chunks of skin missing? Cats normally display dominance by grabbing the throat and pinning the cat to the ground.

Why not print the introduction material along with info on feliway for them. Older females are slower to accept newcomers. Introductions can be started again and slower. Then supervised visits and let them work out the alpha position.

I do not agree with getting rid of a resident cat at 9 years old.
When I introduced Aden and Koda To Orion, Orion hated them he would constanly hiss at them and random objects it took about two weeks for him to calm down but even now when the wrestle they are always going for the throat I was pretty worried at first that the somali's were going to hurt Orion cause Orin was so much smaller, but no blood was ever drawn and no injuries they are just playing. Even right now as I type this Orion and Koda look like they might be trying to rip out each others throats but they are just playing

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sad
If I was close I'd take her! Even if I had to give her her own room

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope they don't have kids.....they may want to replace them with young ones someday. I can't bite my.......never mind.