This is why I'm not allowed to play with SuperGlue!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I accidently broke one of the ornaments my SS (MonaxLisa) sent be while opening up my gifts but DH fixed it...sort of. It is the cutest ornament of a black and white kitty holding a red Christmas tree bulb. When I dropped it, the bulb went one way and the kitty went the other. But, it was fixed and hanging on the tree....until last night. We came home and it was on the floor in 2 pieces again. I think one of the dogs probably knocked it off with her tail.

DH was outside fooling with the outdoor decorations, and I decided to fix it myself. I'm not quite sure HOW I did this, but somehow SuperGlue ended up running all over the kitty and my fingers. I tried to get the bulb in place and hold it there, but after 10 seconds I knew something was wrong. I tried to let go of the bulb and...you guessed it...it was stuck to my fingers. And the kitty was attached to my other hand. Of course, the kitty and bulb were NOT glued together.

So I walked outside with my hands held up, with a kitty hanging on one and a light bulb hanging on the other. DH did a double take and gave me a look like "what did you do this time". I even shook my hands to get them off...didn't work. At this point I'm thinking how silly I would look going to the ER with ornaments glued to my hands
when DH just yanked and pulled them off. So now I'm still peeling dried glue and left over paint off some fingers and babying some fingers that are missing skin. DH fixed the ornament again, hung it at the TOP of the tree this time, and confiscated the superglue in the basement. Probably a good idea!

I just had to share my stupid story of the day!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

So I walked outside with my hands held up, with a kitty hanging on one and a light bulb hanging on the other. DH did a double take and gave me a look like "what did you do this time". I even shook my hands to get them off...didn't work. At this point I'm thinking how silly I would look going to the ER with ornaments glued to my hands
when DH just yanked and pulled them off. So now I'm still peeling dried glue and left over paint off some fingers and babying some fingers that are missing skin.

been there, done that.... I'm surprised yanking em off didn't leave you with a whole lot more damage. I yanked once, never again. OMG, it peeled several layers of skin off and I did quite alot of damage from yanking. Now (meaning yes I still use superglue, and yes accidents still happen
) I gently pry apart the object from my finger with a nail file.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You do paint a very funny story there.
Has DH locked up the super glue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

been there, done that.... I'm surprised yanking em off didn't leave you with a whole lot more damage. I yanked once, never again. OMG, it peeled several layers of skin off and I did quite alot of damage from yanking. Now (meaning yes I still use superglue, and yes accidents still happen
) I gently pry apart the object from my finger with a nail file.
I honestly never thought about gently prying them away from my skin...that probably would have been a better idea.

And yes, katachig, the superglue is hidden in the basement and lord knows I don't know where anything is down there!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love super glue, but have learned to use needle nosed pliers when doing anything particularly delicate. I've been there, done that a few too many times!

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was trying to repair a knick-knack of the Chrysler Building back
together after one of the cats knocked it off my desk, when I found
I couldn't see what I was working on.

I set down the little piece that had broken off (the tower spire) and went back into the house to find my glasses.

I came back to find that I had accidentally superglued the spire to my
work bench.

Attempts to remove the spire from the bench resulted in it breaking into
several smaller pieces, which just made matters worse.

The Chrysler Building (sans spire) is now sitting on a shelf above my
workbench as a monument to my stupidity.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mum once was using super glue and she got it on her finger then touched her face and the skin managed to fold and stick together but she got her finger off, it was so funny!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

For future reference, nail polish remover is the solution to use when wanting to unstick yourself from super glue
That makes some sense because if one of you nails splits off and you don't want to cut it, you superglue over it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

For future reference, nail polish remover is the solution to use when wanting to unstick yourself from super glue
I speak from experience, Nail polish remover does work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I love super glue, but have learned to use needle nosed pliers when doing anything particularly delicate. I've been there, done that a few too many times!
The problem there is the needle nose pliers are in the basement too....and I have NO idea where! (DH got me a set of "my tools"...but he's taken most of them because he can't find his!
)

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hee! My cousin was trying to superglue a pearl back into her necklace setting and glued the pearl to her finger. Her DH and FIL had her convinced that she had to go to the ER to have it cut off. (She's very gullible). She freaked out, crying and thinking she was going to lose the tip of her finger.

Yes nail polish remover does work....much to Julie's relief.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back when we still did shoe repair, we could have bought Super Glue by the gallon, had it come in that size, lol! The funniest thing that ever happened was one day my husband quietly came over and asked my mom for a bit of help....nobody would have ever known what was going on, except that when mom saw him she burst out laughing. Seems he'd succeeded in gluing not two, but three of his fingers together....very, very well, I might add! I think it took mom with a gallon can of acetone and a small, stiff paintbrush about 30 minutes to free him from himself!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lacquer thinner also works. In fact, lacquer thinner is the main ingredient in most nail polish remover.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the first time i ever used gorilla glue i was barefoot on the patio trying to fix a ceramic flower pot. i felt what felt like a couple drops of water hit my toes. i didn't think nothing of it til about 1hr later when i tried to put my flip-flops on and discovered 2 of my toes glued together. it took 45 min of alternately using nailpolish remover and WD40 along with a piece of dentalfloss to get my toes seperated.