much better than pill pockets or syringes!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crumble 8 Whisker Lickin'sÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Tender Momentsâ„¢ treats into a plate, mix it with the contents of 1 large capsule, 3-4 drops of water, mix well and remake the little pieces... Works like a charm!!! Lucky thinks that I am actually treating her - she LOVES TF time now! Maybe this can be used for other meds too

I was having the hardest time giving her those huge Transfer Factor capsules... I tried mixing it with chicken broth and giving it with a syringe, and also mixing it with baby food and spreading over her legs for her to lick it... She HATED the syringe, and the problem with the second method was that I couldn't guarantee that she ate everything.... so.... I tried this and SHE LOVES IT!!!!

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have to keep this in mind. Friends are always asking me about how to pill unpillable cats. Luckily for me, Pill Pockets work, but I know they don't work for everyone. Thanks for sharing!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To bad Coco can not eat that food.
I need to find a way to give her Baytril with out her spitting it out.
Pill Pockets no longer work for her because she bit into a Baytril last summer.
Do you think I should try crushing the Baytril?
You have a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You have a good idea.
I would try it!! These treats ave very soft, and very tasty... they hide the taste pretty well... I use 8 for TF because it's a HUGE capsule, but depending on the size of Baytril, you could use 2-3, 4? I know that CVS and other pharmacies sell pill crushers, or you can try first with the back of a spoon, or something like that... Don't put too much water - maybe just a drop will suffice for baytril - let me know how she likes it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The only problem is Coco has to be on a certain food.
It would work great for my other cats.
Even treats? She can't have treats?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing something similar. I stick Kizzy's antibiotic into a Pounce treat and feed it to him. (the antibiotic is tiny, and chewable, but he doesn't like to eat it)

Glad u finally found something that works well for Lucky

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You have a good idea.
You have to talk to your vet or a compounding pharmacy about crushing any medicine. There are a lot of meds that you are not suppose to even take if its been crushed, so talk to your vet or pharmacist before you even consider it.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

You have to talk to your vet or a compounding pharmacy about crushing any medicine. There are a lot of meds that you are not suppose to even take if its been crushed, so talk to your vet or pharmacist before you even consider it.
I've also heard that some medicines are supposed to be taken as they are and that they loose power if crushed, something that they have to dissolve inside the bodies in the correct place.

One of the cats was impossible to pill in any way, so I always came to him when he was deeply sleeping and rush the pill (covered with something - cream cheese/pate) into his mouth, by the time he understood what happed he already swalowed the pill.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you posted this! It's really a good idea!

I've been using pill pockets with Harley for her Drontal; thankfully they work, but I know they don't for all cats.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say the success depends largely on how bad the particular pill tastes. The antihistamines my vet had Thufir on this Summer were apparently so bad that he wouldn't eat it even if I mixed it with an entire can of Tuna. The antibiotic, on the other hand, must not have been so bitter because he would tolerate that mixed with some food. Next time I have to pill him I think I'll definitely check in with a compounding pharmacy to see what they can do for me.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You have a good idea.
Contact a compounding pharmacy. Many medications for pets can be formulated into a "transdermal gel" that you rub into their ears (ear flaps). This way, too, they don't generally have the usual gastro-intestinal side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) because the medication is absorbed differently.

You could also ask your Vet about giving the Baytril by subQ injection. I used to have to do this w/ Taco because there was not ONE single oral antibiotic that he didn't throw up (and being diabetic, he has to keep his food down). this worked great. I'd just give him a shot of Baytril once a day, it goes into the subcutaneous tissue (not the muscle). Very easy to do.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Very true! Many meds have a special enteric coating on it, to help prevent stomach upset when it's being digested...and if you crush it up, you don't have this coating. and some pills are horribly bitter tasting to a cat, I believe Baytril is one of them. Others I know of are Flagyl (Metronidazole)....that's definitely not one I'd consider crushing up.