household pet show entry?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody here have experience entering a show with a kitty as household pet? How was your experience like, and why did you do it? Is it a worthy experience?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My friend did it and I was there.
Her cat bit the judge though.
Oh my goodness - that's classic!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed Bubba/aka Chubbs in HHP back in the early 90's when my Scottish fold decided she hated the shows. He did really good and won his little division in Loveland CO. in 1992, he received a plaque which is sitting by his picture and urn. He had enough of shows when I entered him in a extra ring which was a costume contest. I dressed him up as a hotdog and he hissed at me for the first time in his life! He had enough. It was fun while it lasted and he got lots of pretty ribbons.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started showing cats with household pets (most do). And its a lot of fun. Sometimes the household pet people are the most loudest in the hall when prizes are awarded!

Keep in mind that if your cat is an only cat, he/she may be shocked to know they are not the only cats in town and some can get scared.

A good showing HHP is one that has a nice personality, is friendly to people and likes attention. Judges realize that the majority are first time and not used to things, so they will take their time in getting your cat relaxed if they can. The judges always have a lot of fun with HHPs and usually will do the most talking about them.

Train your cat to be stretched out, handled by friends, and tease them with toys when they are sitting on a table. All HHP's have to be neutered/spayed if 8 months or older and in CFA cannot be declawed. In ACFA and TICA they will allow declawed cats, but don't advertise it. Many adopted cats have already been done and nothing the new owner can do about it.

You will know by the end of the show if your cat enjoys this or would rather stay home.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to show Riley in HHP but then he got sick. I am considering putting him in the spring show, but I don't know if his fur will grow back by then or not. He had a large area on the side of his chest shaved for an ultrasound. Because his fur is so long you can't really see it unless he rolls over, but its quite a large spot. Also, it is a 2 day show and I'm not sure either cat, or myself would want to do it for 2 days.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they look for the cat to be in particularly good shape? And what if the cat doesn't like toys? My cat loves the laser pointer, but could care less about any other toy. And, she has a little pouch belly (working on this with healthier food and more exercise). But, she's incredibly friendly with strangers, and doesn't mind my husband wrestling with her, so I'm thinking she'd do ok at a show.

I'm planning on going to the 2 cat shows in the twin cities in the coming months to see how everything works. Then I just have to convince the husband that we should spend yet more money on our kitty
How much would ya'll estimate that a first time HHP shower would spend?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically they are looking for a cat in good condition (proper weight for size of the cat), how clean and well groomed they are (don't forget to clean eyes and ears). Not all cats play with toys. My first cat, Mitten could care less about toys - he acted a lot like Morrs (the 9-lives cat) and he won his ribbons on his condition and easy to handle - not on his playfulness.

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How does a person find out if there are HHP shows being held in their region? Are the entry fees quite high? I have a purebred Snowshoe Siamese, I think she is gorgeous, but I know she was originally sold as a 'pet', not as 'show/breeding quality', so I am wondering if the HHP shows would even consider her? She is not registered or anything, she is just a HHP, but I am wondering if this is something that would be a fun and rewarding experience for both of us.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bwahaha! I've already enlisted my mom to make show curtains for me as a birthday present

I'm browsing show pictures online and noticed that the show curtains pictured are often very lacy and shiny. Is this the overall trend? I'm not a big lacy/shiny gal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. The ones I showed don't have fancy/lacy things as they would tear them up or chew on them. I just make it simple.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I'd love to show my Latifah...she's such a character; I've never met a kitty who is at ease in NO MATTER what kind of situation she's in...

I'd have to let her lion cut grow back in though, seeing as that's not 'normal' kitty style!Lol!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back in the 70s I belonged to the local cat fancy, Salt Lake Cat Fanciers, and got invovled in helping with the shows. We had a lady who ran the local cat rescue, she went all over the country showing her cats she had rescued in the HHP class. She brought a lot of attention to rescuing and adopting and her cats did fabulous. She passed away in 2003 and there are even awards in her name for the HHP cats. It is a big honor to get the Karin Jackson award.
It always seemed that her group had a lot more fun and comraderie than the purebred folks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PintaMeez

How does a person find out if there are HHP shows being held in their region? Are the entry fees quite high? I have a purebred Snowshoe Siamese, I think she is gorgeous, but I know she was originally sold as a 'pet', not as 'show/breeding quality', so I am wondering if the HHP shows would even consider her? She is not registered or anything, she is just a HHP, but I am wondering if this is something that would be a fun and rewarding experience for both of us.
That is the same case with Lucky, but she is a Seal Lynx Point Ragdoll... I read that they won't judge her against the breeds standards, but instead as any other HHP; which would be nice... My only concern is the experience being rewarding for both of us... I don't want to traumatize my girl...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

Back in the 70s I belonged to the local cat fancy, Salt Lake Cat Fanciers, and got invovled in helping with the shows. We had a lady who ran the local cat rescue, she went all over the country showing her cats she had rescued in the HHP class. She brought a lot of attention to rescuing and adopting and her cats did fabulous. She passed away in 2003 and there are even awards in her name for the HHP cats. It is a big honor to get the Karin Jackson award.
It always seemed that her group had a lot more fun and comraderie than the purebred folks.
I remember her! She came to Denver to show her cats in HHP. She was showing her cats when I started to show Bubba/aka Chubbs in HHP. One of her cats was an older cream colored cat. I can't remember the name of her cat but she always did well in the shows. That was back in the early 90's.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I remember her! She came to Denver to show her cats in HHP. She was showing her cats when I started to show Bubba/aka Chubbs in HHP. One of her cats was an older cream colored cat. I can't remember the name of her cat but she always did well in the shows. That was back in the early 90's.
She was a wonderful lady and very passionate about the welfare of the cats and life in general. I don't remember the names of her cats. She passed away in 2003, I think she was 83.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried showing Stratus, the kitten I raised since he was a week old, but...Boy, was that an AWFUL idea. He had NO tolerance of the other unhappy cats, and he was so bad I only showed him in three out of eight rings. The judges all had to have me take him out of the cage, and they all gave him last (6th) place ribbons. =P

I am thinking about showing Sassy, my 12 year old girl. She has proven herself to be very cal, even in high-stress situations outside the home. I once took her to school with me, where we were practicing bandaging cats. She was an angel, even with a head bandage and two leg bandages on her. XD

Pic, just for laughs.

Yup, I think she has enough patience for a cat show.

Back on topic, they look a lot at personality. If you cat is both prettily coloured and has a nice, friendly temperment, then great!