Our cat has replaced us as our kitten's master!

catopia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy Holidays everyone!

In early December we adopted a two month old kitten: Seven. We have 3 others: Pearl: 18 yrs, Luigi: 7 years and Steve: 5 years. The first couple of days Pearl ignored Seven and Luigi hissed at it but after a couple of days they came around. Steve on the other hand adopted it immediately. For the kitten's first week in its new home I was home and Seven appeared to have bonded with me. It followed me everywhere, cuddled incessantly and slept on my head at night.

When I went back to work Steve and Seven were like a Spike and Chester Looney Toons cartoon. So much so that it presents a problem. If any of us, my son, my wife or I, come within 6 feet of it it runs away and hides. When it wants attention it plays\\cuddles\
aps with Steve although it still sleeps on my head at night. While I am prepared to be patient and just ignore it, because I know that eventually it will warm to us, I must admit I'm finding it very difficult because the darn thing is too adorable and I miss cuddling with it. My wife on the other hand finds little solace in my reassurance and is is thinking that it might be happier in a new home.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can speed up the process?

My apologies if this lists as a double post but my first post didn't appear to be accepted.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patience, patience, patience. When I first brought Lilly-Rose home (10 and a half years ago), she bonded with me at first, but wouldn't sleep with me. Then she bonded with Sammy and started ignoring me. Then she came back around. Right now he is exploring everyone and everything. As long as he is sleeping with you, he is bonding. What you can do, is put him in your lap when he's, finally, sleeping. He's just probably so excited having a "buddy."

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, don't worry he's still just a tiny kitten, and kittens can't really slow down enough to cuddle anyway.....I only enjoy cuddling with my two month old kitten while he is asleep too- otherwise he tries to play fight with me when I try to pet him allllll the time...
Does he stay when you put him in your lap? Play with you??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catopia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Does he stay when you put him in your lap? Play with you??
Nope he won't let us near. He only sleeps with me when I have fallen asleep. My major task right now is to convince my wife to be more patient.