Natural Remedies for flees?

stellar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year i discovered my cat was allergic to advantage and flee control containing chemicals and several other ingredients that were used in over the counter flee control. After she had been to the vets I asked him what i could used on my cat instead of advantage and other products. He recommended juice squeezed from lemons with water in a squirty bottle and also told me to regularly use the flee comb on her. He also recommenced other products that i do not want to try on my cat that could work for her, but its not worth it as iv tried afew already and the allergy still plays up so its best to stay away from all of those.

Anyways...

I joined this forum a while back so i thought i would post and ask if anyone has some natural home remedies they use on their own cat...?

Iv read alot of home remedies on the internet but have not read any from people who have known from experience or have tried on their cat. Things like putting a tiny bit of Apple Cidar Vinigar in her drinking water..etc. it what i have read.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had fleas, but know others have done the ACV in water and also a pinch of brewers yeast in their food.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food grade diatomaceous earth. It's like a fine talc and can actually be eaten. I've sprinkled it in my carpets and I've heard people here talk about dusting their pets with it. It's actually earth, which can't be more natural.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks. hopefully someone will come along that has tried ACV.

Iv never heard of Food grade diatomaceous earth...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stellar

Iv never heard of Food grade diatomaceous earth...
We don't seem to have that over here, so you may not have it in NZ either.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

We don't seem to have that over here, so you may not have it in NZ either.
Sorry, I didn't notice you are from New Zealand. I'm not sure if it is sold there. I order it online in the U.S.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Food grade diatomaceous earth. It's like a fine talc and can actually be eaten. I've sprinkled it in my carpets and I've heard people here talk about dusting their pets with it. It's actually earth, which can't be more natural.
actually it is diatoms or prehistoric algea creatures ... lol I have been told plankton type and plant ...http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
intresting. I am unable to buy online, though i will do some searching to see if theres another option for getting this. Thanks.

In the meantime, any other ideas?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharky is spot on! It is made from diatoms which are miniscule sea creatures and not earth at all so I don't know why they call it that. The powder feels soft and silky to us but to insects it is sharp shards like glass that cuts the exoskeleton and they die.

It is often sold in gardening centres here in Canada for the folks that want natural insecticides in their gardens. But again, it is important to ensure you get the human/food grade. The one I got was called ChemFree and I did get it at the gardening centre in our area. I did have to phone around since they don't all carry DE.