My Kitten has Ringworm

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just got back from the vet (because his eye was "goopey" just a small bacterial infection there) but she noticed ringworm on his ears and forehead.

My only question firstly is I'd taken him to one vet before this and they didn't catch the ringworm, I pointed out the funky coloring on his ears and they didn't diagnose it. Is this vet not repuitable? Or is this possible to easily miss?

Also... Has anyone else here gone through this? What treatments work well? I'm just really stressed out about this... and could really use people to talk to. This is my first cat, and I've only had him from the breeder for a week as of today. Is it really contagious to humans? He's slept with me in bed, should I be worried?

Thank you all for being here for me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of information on ringworm. In fact there have been several threads about ringworm just recently.

It is contagious to humans but some folks are immune to it so you getting it will depend on your own susceptibility.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your baby has this, hang in there.
There are several past discussions here on ringworm if you run a search for ringworm, that may be the best way to get information. Yes, it is contagious. If you got the cat from the breeder did you get a health guarantee? You may seriously consider asking the breeder to take the kitten back until it is cleared. With you only having the kitten for a week it is pretty sure to have been exposed there and IMO she should treat the kitten before returning it to you, it will take several weeks. If you decide to treat yourself you will want to read up on it, not just here but on the internet. A lot of people have been through it so don't get too stressed, it is a pain but not a serious illness . Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been looking around the forums... And This seems to be like the checklist I'm seeing:

> Oral Meds & Bath - as vet says and perscribes
- Maybe shaving the area, again as the vet says/suggests

> Special cleaning supplies to kill anything existing on the furnature/carpet

> Keep the Kitten confined to an area with little carpet to make things easy to clean and prevent contamination

Here's my question... The only space I have available with no carpet is a bathroom. And this bathroom isn't very large, will he be okay in there? Or will he get too lonely/not have enough room? There's the kitchen, but I have no way of "trapping" him in there.

Also, I'm going on a trip in about two days where I'm going to be in contact with other animals. If I wash my cloths in the wash with hot water will this be enough to prevent any transfer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question... is my little Cornelius suffering from the ringworm?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunskitten

I am dealing with it right now as well. From what I can tell, Kizzy is not suffering in any way. The ringworm is only on his tail, which we had shaved so I could get the topical ointment on it (he's longhaired) and I've never noticed him acting uncomfortable, or trying to bite at his tail or anything.

It can be itchy from what I've read... but no pain, unless it were to get infected.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Many, many years ago when I was a teenager I had it on my arm. The only "suffering" I remember was the embarasment of having to put a BandAid over it to hid it. It did not itch or hurt.

A few days after I adopted Lilly from a shelter she came down with ringworm. This was years ago, but I believe they gave her a pill or two and I had to give her a bath with special shampoo. It went away in a few weeks. We continued to allow her in our bed and on our furniture (against the Vets orders) and never got it. I think it does depend upon how immune you are to it yourself.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I've been looking around the forums... And This seems to be like the checklist I'm seeing:

> Oral Meds & Bath - as vet says and perscribes
- Maybe shaving the area, again as the vet says/suggests

> Special cleaning supplies to kill anything existing on the furnature/carpet

> Keep the Kitten confined to an area with little carpet to make things easy to clean and prevent contamination

Here's my question... The only space I have available with no carpet is a bathroom. And this bathroom isn't very large, will he be okay in there? Or will he get too lonely/not have enough room? There's the kitchen, but I have no way of "trapping" him in there.

Also, I'm going on a trip in about two days where I'm going to be in contact with other animals. If I wash my cloths in the wash with hot water will this be enough to prevent any transfer?
I would not keep the cat confined to a small bathroom. Ringworm takes several weeks to clear, that is hard on a ktiien to be locked up that long. If you want to confine the kitten choose a room where it can play and be comfortable and you can play with it. There are products you can clean the carptet with that last 30 days. Check posts under my user name for Ringworm and I posted the product and where to get it. If you want you can also send me a pm and I will get it for you. It works and is safe.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had ringworm as a kid about the size of a silver dollar on my back. My Grandma cleared it up with Iodine, man did it f***** burn but it was gone in a week. I get it if I get around someone who has it, the kids at the school I worked at had it and I would catch it. It is a fungus. I still use an anti-fungal, and I use it for a week or so after its gone, or it looks gone , ringworm is sneeky and will hide under the skin. Don't be fooled by the look on the skin.
Yes it will spread to other areas of the cat, and your sheets or couch, or carpet, or what ever is cloth maybe a problem.
I have not had it in a couple years. Knock on wood.