icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poll to be added

MSN / Windows Live
YIM
Other

We are thinking of adding a chat with us box for work where people can talk with the interns if they have a question and wanted to know what most people use before setting up accounts for them.

Ok there is no poll because a certain kitten ran across the keyboard and I can't add one after the fact

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pidgin for Microsoft's .NET messenger service since all of my friends are Windows users and use msn. I can't remember what password I used to use for AIM, so I haven't used it in years.

IRC

And before they switched servers, Soulseek, since it's easy to set up a room. (no modding, though).

Whatever you choose I assume you won't want to pay to set up a chat room (like msn) and you'll likely want the ability to password protect it and have mods there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use MSN. I used to use ICQ back when I did online multi player online games. I still have it installed but rarely log into it (sometimes not for months on end). I keep meaning to uninstall it because I never see anyone online when I do log into it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is more something from the office so we can make sure the person answering is one of us, but we will only use it for 6 weeks during the application process so don't want to pay for something long term. I was thinking that most people have a messenger of some sort so if I set up Trillian on their office computer and added the most popular of messengers they could answer when they are in the office.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use google chat
comes with gmail. I really enjoy it, you can also do video chat on it as well.

I also use ICQ: That's what my husband uses at work.

and lastly MSN.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I was thinking that most people have a messenger of some sort so if I set up Trillian on their office computer and added the most popular of messengers they could answer when they are in the office.
Might I suggest you look into Pidgin since it runs on Macs, windows, and linux - in case anyone is running a Mac there.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Other. I have not used a messenger in over 3 years. Way too many politics, and alot of people i never want to talk to again.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use IRC a lot, back before I had a computer that could handle graphics (long time ago!) Then I used ICQ, then most of my friends were on AIM so I used that more often.
Now, I just use Gmail Chat which has a feature so I can connect it to my AIM account and the messages from AIM will show up in Gmail.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Meebo to log in to multiple clients. It's web-based so there aren't any downloads. The coolest part is that if you have a Meebo account, you can embed something called a MeeboMe Widget on your website and any website visitors can chat with you regardless of their chat client... and without having to download anything!

check it out at http://www.meebome.com/learnmore.html

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use AIM usually, if I get on any messenger at all. My AIM account is usually up with an away message
I never spend enough time on the computer anymore to really chat, and no one I talk to is ever on when I am.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used to have ICQ and AIM but one tech uninstalled them because he said they were too much for my old computer. Anyways, I haven't used a chat like those for about 5 years.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I use AIM usually, if I get on any messenger at all. My AIM account is usually up with an away message
I never spend enough time on the computer anymore to really chat, and no one I talk to is ever on when I am.

That's me also! I always have my AIM up, but it always has an away message up. I'm not on the computer for enough of a time to sit and talk with people. I usually get on to check email, facebook, here, and news sites, then get off. But if I have it up, my mom or someone else can still send me a msg and I can send them one once I get back on.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mostly use gtalk - the gmail talk service. I also have
MSN but prefer google.

For work though you're probably better off choosing something nobody has and make them create an account and allow them to use only that so they're not chatting at work all day